Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Trouble finding correct u-joint

Old 10-16-2013, 04:42 PM   #1
chato is on a distinguished road
chato's Tacoma Gallery
Trouble finding correct u-joint

Hey folks, long time reader, first time caller.
The Taco is my girlfriends (I'm a first gen 4runner kind of guy, don't hold it against me).

The truck is a 1997 regular cab, 2.7 4wd.

So I pulled the driveshaft to have the u-joints replaced at the local napa.
They pulled everything apart and now they can't get the new front u-joints to fit, they say they are 2/1000's of an inch off. Of course the old ones fell apart on disassembly so they are effed.

Napa contacted the dealer, gave them the vin, and apparently the dealer part doesn't fit either.

I have to get this thing back on the road by Friday to head out on an elk hunt, and I am starting to get a bit worried.

Anybody know anything about a different size u-joint for these trucks?
Old 10-16-2013, 05:07 PM   #2
chato's Tacoma Gallery
fyi despite being a regular cab, it has the double cardon in front. which on further reading, is non-serviceable?
Old 10-16-2013, 06:02 PM   #3
Inverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to behold
Inverno4's Tacoma Gallery
If the double cardan is inside snap rings, there should be a few that fit it. They are:
Neapco-#1-5800
Precision-#513
Spicer-#5-2532x
Rockford-#407-10

All of those are 1.125 cap diameter which about two hundredths smaller than the recommended replacement I believe.

If it's outside snap rings like my '04, the Rockford #2540 fit (just changed mine). It's a 1.0625 cap and 3.19 width end to end.

Find out the cap diameter and width you need, to know if these fit.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:41 AM   #4
chato's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverno4 View Post
If the double cardan is inside snap rings, there should be a few that fit it. They are:
Neapco-#1-5800
Precision-#513
Spicer-#5-2532x
Rockford-#407-10

All of those are 1.125 cap diameter which about two hundredths smaller than the recommended replacement I believe.

If it's outside snap rings like my '04, the Rockford #2540 fit (just changed mine). It's a 1.0625 cap and 3.19 width end to end.

Find out the cap diameter and width you need, to know if these fit.
Thanks, that is super helpful.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:48 PM   #5
chato's Tacoma Gallery
precision 513 did the trick.
again, thanks for the help.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:50 PM   #6
SPEEDY CRAWLER
4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: cody
4runnercaged's Tacoma Gallery
glad to hear you got er back on the road
Old 10-17-2013, 03:53 PM   #7
POINT ONE %ER
Dirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Dirty Pool's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chato View Post
precision 513 did the trick.
again, thanks for the help.
May be a little late.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...dan-joint.html

So I take it your rare reg cab with a DC joint was the inside clip type?
Old 10-17-2013, 04:37 PM   #8
Inverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to behold
Inverno4's Tacoma Gallery
Dirty Pool taught me almost everything I know!

Good to hear it's running again.
Old 10-17-2013, 04:54 PM   #9
POINT ONE %ER
Dirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Dirty Pool's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverno4 View Post
Dirty Pool taught me almost everything I know!

Good to hear it's running again.
Aw shucks, you are the one that had the guts to take on the job. The good sense to ask the right questions and a stick to it attitude to get er done.
Not to mention "discovering" the outside clip joint that "no one makes".
Old 10-18-2013, 07:08 AM   #10
chato's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Pool View Post
May be a little late.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...dan-joint.html

So I take it your rare reg cab with a DC joint was the inside clip type?
it is indeed. had to learn the hard way.

Got the DS back last night, looks pretty good, if a maybe a little manhandled.
will reinstall today, then headed up to the mountains for an elk hunt this afternoon. I guess thats a good way to test the repair.

Thanks again for all the help fellas.