Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Fuel door spring/hinge pics needed

Old 10-16-2013, 06:52 PM   #1
T O Y O T A
mlittle is a glorious beacon of lightmlittle is a glorious beacon of lightmlittle is a glorious beacon of lightmlittle is a glorious beacon of lightmlittle is a glorious beacon of light

Army: E Co, 4-3 ADA BN Executive Officer
Name: Michael
mlittle's Tacoma Gallery
Fuel door spring/hinge pics needed

While I was deployed, my wife took my 2003 Tacoma to the local body shop, so they could repair some hail damage. Upon returning home from deployment, I noticed that the fuel door flops around in the wind while the fuel door is open. There used to be a spring or clip that kept the fuel door open while fueling my Tacoma, but the body shop and local Toyota dealership can't seem to find the right part.

Can those of you with the first gen Tacoma's post or email me some pictures of the fuel door in the open position, so I can compare the parts that are on mine versus the picture? I need pictures of the non-locking fuel doors - just in case there is a difference from the locking and non-locking variations.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:55 PM   #2
604YOTA is on a distinguished road

Name: Disco Stu
604YOTA's Tacoma Gallery
Il take a pic in the am and post.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:36 AM   #3
604YOTA is on a distinguished road

Name: Disco Stu
604YOTA's Tacoma Gallery
Ha mines gone too sorry no help here
Old 10-17-2013, 11:14 AM   #4
T O Y O T A
mlittle is a glorious beacon of lightmlittle is a glorious beacon of lightmlittle is a glorious beacon of lightmlittle is a glorious beacon of lightmlittle is a glorious beacon of light

mlittle's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks anyway 604YOTA.

Anyone else with a 2000-2004 Tacoma able to assist?
Old 10-18-2013, 05:14 PM   #5
Laissez les bons temps rouler
tacoma04 is on a distinguished road

Name: Bruce
tacoma04's Tacoma Gallery

Hope these help. 2004 Tacoma
Old 10-20-2013, 01:54 PM   #6
T O Y O T A

mlittle's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the pics. Everything looks the same as mine, but I don't recall the door just flopping around. I guess that's what happens when you are away for one year.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:56 PM   #7
Laissez les bons temps rouler
tacoma04 is on a distinguished road

Name: Bruce
tacoma04's Tacoma Gallery
Mine doesn't spring open and stay open. It moves easily both ways, but it doesn't just fall shut all the time either. Sounds like yours is ok.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:38 PM   #8
jdkilroy is a splendid one to beholdjdkilroy is a splendid one to beholdjdkilroy is a splendid one to beholdjdkilroy is a splendid one to beholdjdkilroy is a splendid one to beholdjdkilroy is a splendid one to beholdjdkilroy is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jon
jdkilroy's Tacoma Gallery
look to see if the "fuel filler lid pin" is still there. the spring clips on the inside face of the door grab onto this pin to keep the door secure. without the pin, your fuel door will flap in the breeze.

Toyota part # 77367-35010 and its official title is: "Clamp; Fuel Filler Lid Pin"

Its a 0.78 part
Old 10-21-2013, 05:59 AM   #9
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
^ This guys pretty good.

Old 10-22-2013, 04:27 PM   #10
jdkilroy is a splendid one to beholdjdkilroy is a splendid one to beholdjdkilroy is a splendid one to beholdjdkilroy is a splendid one to beholdjdkilroy is a splendid one to beholdjdkilroy is a splendid one to beholdjdkilroy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha Dave View Post
^ This guys pretty good.
High praise; thanks!

Any word on what the problem is/was?
Old 10-22-2013, 04:42 PM   #11
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
^I think that's the wrong part.

According to the diagram, the part you are looking for (to keep the lid propped while it's open) should be 77358-35010:

http://www.villagetoyotaparts.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_product=2326908&ukey_assemb ly=358970&ukey_make=1021&ukey_model=14430&ukey_dri veline=6138&ukey_trimlevel=0&modelYear=2004

Interestingly, the stay-open feature was removed for 2nd gens.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlittle View Post
... I noticed that the fuel door flops around in the wind while the fuel door is open. ...
I think you are right about part; I misunderstood OP. Thought his door wouldn't latch shut. So it looks like he's still in luck since it should still be a very inexpensive part.... but its Toyota so you never know.

Nice to see someone else uses Village Toyota. I get almost all my parts from them. Toyota Parts Zone is good for reference since you can enter your VIN number and get parts lists that are specific to your vehicle. Then just use the part numbers on Village Toyota's site to review diagrams.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:38 AM   #13
T O Y O T A

mlittle's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like I have all the parts installed, but I don't recall my fuel door flopping around while I was filling up.