Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Stuttering, and sounds from the engine

Old 10-17-2013, 10:57 AM   #1
Don't mind me, I'm only slightly stupid
HamerMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHamerMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHamerMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHamerMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHamerMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHamerMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHamerMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHamerMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHamerMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHamerMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHamerMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andrew
HamerMan's Tacoma Gallery
Stuttering, and sounds from the engine

Hi guys, I'm getting some stuttering when I'm hard of the throttle. I seafoamed the engine a few days ago, and nothing has been the same. It sounds like theres something holding it back at low RPMs and at higher RPMs (above 3.5k) it makes a popping noise. I'm at a complete loss at what it could be
Old 10-17-2013, 03:14 PM   #2
Just duct tape it
jspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jay
jspansel's Tacoma Gallery
What process of seafoaming did you use? Where and how did you do it? Sounds like a misfire... No codes?
Old 10-17-2013, 03:57 PM   #3
HamerMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHamerMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHamerMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHamerMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHamerMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHamerMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHamerMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHamerMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHamerMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHamerMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHamerMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspansel View Post
What process of seafoaming did you use? Where and how did you do it? Sounds like a misfire... No codes?
No codes. I did vacuum line and gas tank. Would aftermarket exhaust have anything to do with it?
Old 10-18-2013, 06:51 PM   #4
To secure peace, is to prepare for war
TacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacomaJPP's Tacoma Gallery
Spark plugs and wires. Mine did the same thing. Finally, a few weeks later it threw a code.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaJPP View Post
Spark plugs and wires. Mine did the same thing. Finally, a few weeks later it threw a code.
Would anything about the way I drive do that to the plugs and wires?
Old 10-18-2013, 06:56 PM   #6
TacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Not really. How many miles do you have on this set of plugs and wires?
Old 10-18-2013, 06:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Not really. How many miles do you have on this set of plugs and wires?
No idea. I've only had it for about 3k miles
Old 10-18-2013, 07:10 PM   #8

How many miles on the truck?
Old 10-18-2013, 07:16 PM   #9

Old 10-18-2013, 07:22 PM   #10

Put some Genuine Toyota plugs and wires on it and never trust "pre-gapped" plugs, even from Toyota.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Put some Genuine Toyota plugs and wires on it and never trust "pre-gapped" plugs, even from Toyota.
Alright. Thanks man
Old 10-18-2013, 11:00 PM   #12
994x4wd is on a distinguished road
994x4wd's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Hamer man I just bought my truck last Saturday, love it to death! First thing I did was wash it and run Seafoam through vacuum line and gas tank.... About 20 miles later the truck starts shaking just like your truck is doing, swapped the plug, wire, coil pack, everything I could think of and it was driving me nuts, then I got to thinking, what if it was the Seafoam?!?!?!?! so after a little swapping parts around between my tacoma and my 4runner I found out that Seafoam had knocked some crud loose and clogged my fuel injector!! So check out the easy stuff first but keep in mind that you might have the same situation I did, hope this helps
Old 10-18-2013, 11:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 994x4wd View Post
Hey Hamer man I just bought my truck last Saturday, love it to death! First thing I did was wash it and run Seafoam through vacuum line and gas tank.... About 20 miles later the truck starts shaking just like your truck is doing, swapped the plug, wire, coil pack, everything I could think of and it was driving me nuts, then I got to thinking, what if it was the Seafoam?!?!?!?! so after a little swapping parts around between my tacoma and my 4runner I found out that Seafoam had knocked some crud loose and clogged my fuel injector!! So check out the easy stuff first but keep in mind that you might have the same situation I did, hope this helps
It was doing it a little bit before the seafoam, just more pronounced after the seafoam

Welcome to TW
Old 10-19-2013, 09:00 AM   #14
994x4wd is on a distinguished road
994x4wd's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks buddy hope you get it figured out!
Old 10-19-2013, 09:36 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 994x4wd View Post
Thanks buddy hope you get it figured out!
Thanks man. My cousins coming out next week from California. He's managed to turn a ford into a deacent off road vehicle, so he can probably help me get this figure out