Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

axle problems?

Old 10-17-2013, 09:56 PM   #1
Crazycarl50 is on a distinguished road
Name: Carl
Crazycarl50's Tacoma Gallery
axle problems?

I been having some problems with my 02 taco some times when I switch it in to drive the rear tires will just sit their and spin without the truck moving forward it almost feels like holding the break in and spinning the tires sometimes the truck will take off with a big jerk and sometimes I have to put the truck in reverse back up a little and then go forward to fix it could this be a break or axle problem or maybe a transmition problem my truck is an 02 double cab 4x4 with locking rear axle and auto trany
Old 10-18-2013, 09:25 AM   #2
bump
Old 10-18-2013, 03:43 PM   #3
wrat is just really nicewrat is just really nicewrat is just really nicewrat is just really nice
wrat's Tacoma Gallery
I think you should describe the issue a bit better. Are you saying that when you put it in drive your truck does a burnout as if you were power braking it even though your feet or OFF the brake and gas?
Old 10-18-2013, 04:24 PM   #4
its not exactly like a power stand the tires wont spin on cement but when it happens on dirt it will dig a hole on one side but it wont go forward and you have to pop it in reverse to fix it when I do a power stand the truck will still go forward some but when this happens it just sits their without moving forward
Old 10-18-2013, 04:28 PM   #5
when it happens im giving it gas so I can move forward but my foot is not on the brake its not exactly like a power stand but that's the closest thing I can compare it to
Old 10-18-2013, 04:30 PM   #6
wrat is just really nicewrat is just really nicewrat is just really nicewrat is just really nice
wrat's Tacoma Gallery
It sounds like the rear axle is getting power which means that their is a pushing force. This makes it sound like the problem is with something holding the vehicle back... like a brake not releasing (you know, you apply the brake when going from Park to Drive and maybe something isn't fully letting go).

So you say that going in reverse a bit at first will then allow you to move forward? Do you hear a 'thump' sound when you start going in reverse (as if a shoe/pad is releasing)? I'd check the brakes since it seems the truck is trying to move but can't due to another issue.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:57 PM   #7
Formally afroman5015
bellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 31B 1132 MP Co.
bellassaiw10's Tacoma Gallery
I need to see a video of this
Old 10-18-2013, 09:59 PM   #8
wrat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellassaiw10 View Post
I need to see a video of this
...and preferably on dirt.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:02 PM   #9
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jake
95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrat View Post
It sounds like the rear axle is getting power which means that their is a pushing force. This makes it sound like the problem is with something holding the vehicle back... like a brake not releasing (you know, you apply the brake when going from Park to Drive and maybe something isn't fully letting go).

So you say that going in reverse a bit at first will then allow you to move forward? Do you hear a 'thump' sound when you start going in reverse (as if a shoe/pad is releasing)? I'd check the brakes since it seems the truck is trying to move but can't due to another issue.
^^
this is your best bet.
A brake isn't releasing for some reason.
Check the rear drums for rust, or if you love in a cold climate, water/ice.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:04 PM   #10
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Slack adjuster installed backwards?

I only mention this because I had a Toyota tech install mine backwards and my brakes seized up.