Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Should I be running rear axle shims?

Old 10-18-2013, 04:19 PM   #1
To secure peace, is to prepare for war
TacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacomaJPP's Tacoma Gallery

I have a 1.5" AAL on my rear axle. Should I be running a shim kit to adjust my pinion angle to compensate for the lift? I have a 2 or 2.5 degree kit, just never installed it. Thoughts?
Old 10-18-2013, 04:34 PM   #2
wrat is just really nicewrat is just really nicewrat is just really nicewrat is just really nice
wrat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaJPP View Post
I have a 1.5" AAL on my rear axle. Should I be running a shim kit to adjust my pinion angle to compensate for the lift? I have a 2 or 2.5 degree kit, just never installed it. Thoughts?
Does the truck drive fine right now? If so, don't mess with it.

FWIW, I installed OME Dakars and the AAL (OME D6XL) which gave me ~4 inches of lift in the rear. I didn't shim anything or drop the carrier bearing and my truck drives smooth. I did extend the rear brake line and install an exhaust hanger to drop it down lower, but that is all for the rear.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:35 PM   #3
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
Got any vibrations? I put a 3 leaf AAL on without shims. I get vibration between 23-27 mph. The shims would help.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:31 PM   #4
TacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shed

My truck has always had vibes at 65...always.

Since the lift, it is more severe and the vibes are between 60-72.

I replaced the carrier bearing 10,000 miles ago and it didn't help. I tried a Beefed Taco carrier bearing spacer and it didn't help either.

Now I'm hearing a very light "popping" sound from the cab above 50mph. So, I put my GoPro under the truck (can't post vid right now) and the pop sounds more like a "roar" and is definitely driveline related. The roar has a frequency of twice per second.

The only concerning thing I noted from the vid, is I seemed to see the driveshaft have a wobble close to the carrier bearing. Maybe it is out of alignment.

I guess I'm going to jack the truck up on jack stands, loosen the carrier bearing, and get the wheel speed up to 60 mph and allow it to self-align and tighten.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:45 PM   #5
TACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
How many miles are on it, i just did u-joint's and it took some vibe's out but i still have a slight shudder around 35 to 45mph and im stock. Have always had a little vibe, gonna slap a new carrier bearing on it soon. Buddy of mines son works at dealership and can get me the bearing for $140.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:48 PM   #6

210k and I pull a boat...a lot.

I bought my CB from partznet.com for $147, Genuine Toyota.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:05 AM   #7

So, I'm guessing its time for new u-joints and a double cardan rebuild?
Old 10-19-2013, 06:30 AM   #8
sgrappone is a glorious beacon of lightsgrappone is a glorious beacon of lightsgrappone is a glorious beacon of lightsgrappone is a glorious beacon of lightsgrappone is a glorious beacon of lightsgrappone is a glorious beacon of light
Army: Infantry
Name: Scott
sgrappone's Tacoma Gallery

Sounds like you may have a bad u joint. I had vibes after installing my dakars on my 04 ext cab. 2* shims eliminated my vibe issues.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:39 AM   #9

I guess I will pull the driveshaft and check the slop in the joints and throw the axle shims in. Process of elimination at this point.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:40 AM   #10
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Carrier bearing adjustments solve most vibes. The problem is most people do it incorrectly with pre-made spacers. This idea CAN work if you've already determined what size spacer you need, but most don't. They just buy the premade shit off the shelf and assume that the same drop height works for all lifts.

Tell me, if lift height can be anywhere from 1" to 6", why wouldn't CB drop distance be just as variable?

The correct way to implement this fix is with a little diagnostic testing. Get 30 or so grade 8 washers and start shimming your carrier bearing down. Shim it down two washers, then test drive. Shim again. Test drive. At some point, you will notice your vibes decreasing. Keep shimming in that direction until your vibes are gone or starting to increase.

Measure the drop at the "least symptomatic" height.

Then do this:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ml#post5444164

Or have some spacers milled to the measurement you have determined.

THAT is the correct way to address this issue.

Let me suggest that you avoid axle shims like the plague. All the options on the market are shit and prone to breakage.

At high mileage, depending on maintenance, you may also have a u-joint issue. Check that out as well.
Old 10-20-2013, 04:25 AM   #11
sgrappone is a glorious beacon of lightsgrappone is a glorious beacon of lightsgrappone is a glorious beacon of lightsgrappone is a glorious beacon of lightsgrappone is a glorious beacon of lightsgrappone is a glorious beacon of light
Army: Infantry
Name: Scott
sgrappone's Tacoma Gallery
For axle shims, I prefer these. You can also have a custom set made with the angle needed for your needs.
http://www.warriorproducts.com/catal...-spring-shims/
Old 10-20-2013, 05:51 PM   #12

I decided to shoot some grease in all of the zerks. The one for the slip yoke took about 10 or 15 shots. The more I have driven it, the quieter it has became and it is amazingly smoother believe it or not.

Today a buddy and I jacked the truck up and felt absolutely zero slop in my u-joints and DC joint.

I do have some backlash in my driveline. It looked to be about 3/32" of rotation. Is that normal?
Old 10-20-2013, 06:09 PM   #13
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaJPP View Post
I do have some backlash in my driveline. It looked to be about 3/32" of rotation. Is that normal?
Tis.