Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Strange front end knock noise, all new parts...

Old 10-18-2013, 04:58 PM   #1
DIRTGIRL is on a distinguished road
DIRTGIRL's Tacoma Gallery
Strange front end knock noise, all new parts...

I have a 2002 Toyota Tacoma Step-side 4x4, 3.4L V6. I have replaced my entire front end; CV Axles (and oil seals to front diff), Tie Rods, Upper/Lower BJ's, Upper Control Arms, Struts, Brake pads/rotors, Carrier Bearing, tires (tires are rubbing just a bit but not to make this kind of noise) and new clutch......

Now I am getting a strange knock noise, that seems to be coming from the front drivers side, it only makes the noise when I turn left and accelerating. I took it to Toyota and had the hub and wheel bearings looked at and they are still good........any ideas on what the noise could be??
Old 10-18-2013, 05:29 PM   #2
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
CV axle not seated all the way into the front diff maybe ?
Old 10-19-2013, 09:28 AM   #3
DIRTGIRL is on a distinguished road
DIRTGIRL's Tacoma Gallery
That did cross my mind, so I removed the cv axles and replaced the oil seal on the front diff (both sides), no usual flexing or movement....
Old 12-06-2013, 06:59 PM   #4
flashnutrition is on a distinguished road

Name: Zach
flashnutrition's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIRTGIRL View Post
I have a 2002 Toyota Tacoma Step-side 4x4, 3.4L V6. I have replaced my entire front end; CV Axles (and oil seals to front diff), Tie Rods, Upper/Lower BJ's, Upper Control Arms, Struts, Brake pads/rotors, Carrier Bearing, tires (tires are rubbing just a bit but not to make this kind of noise) and new clutch......

Now I am getting a strange knock noise, that seems to be coming from the front drivers side, it only makes the noise when I turn left and accelerating. I took it to Toyota and had the hub and wheel bearings looked at and they are still good........any ideas on what the noise could be??
My 2005 is having this same issue. I am going to first do new sway bar bushings but I think it could be something with the LCA... I read that the cam adjustments can seize and make this noise.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:23 AM   #5
He said "member"...
crainholio will become famous soon enough
Army: Tanker
crainholio's Tacoma Gallery
I didn't see swaybar end links on your parts list, that would be my next step. When mine wore out it sounded like the front axle was going to fall out, especially over bumps at low speed.