Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

1st Gen Outer Tie Rods question

Old 10-19-2013, 05:16 PM   #1
Wait for it...
StAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: SWO
Name: Chris
StAndrew's Tacoma Gallery
1st Gen Outer Tie Rods question

The Point (for those in a hurry):

What's the deal on the outer tie rods? How long do these normally last? Mine look ugly, boots are in pretty bad shape, but no wheel play and solid joints. Should I consider replacing? 120K miles on the truck.

Short story (for those slightly interested):

Got the lifetime alignment at Firestone and went in today. The tech said he got it aligned but said he wont align it again until I get my outer tie rods replaced.

The boots are pretty bad but no noticeable hole/tear (no excessive grease leaking). Again, the joints are solid. No wheel play.

Long story (my rant for those that are board):

The tech working on my truck likes to assume he is the all knowing god of automobiles and Im a helpless ******. He proceeds to explain to me that if I drove my truck anymore, the tie rods "will snap in two" and that Im a "driving time bomb." I don't want to fight with this guy as he's going be doing my alignment for a long time and tends to do a good job regardless of his interpersonal skills. Either way he's on the list of people I don't piss off: barbers, mechanics, dentists, and cooks. I told him Ill get it looked at (imagine your doctor diagnosing you with cancerous terminal aids and you tell him you will get it looked at...yeah). Anyways, I got home and jacked up the truck found no play at all in the wheels at all. Tie rods look ugly but are holding just fine.

Im pretty the Firestone my contract says he can eat shit while he continues to align my truck regardless of what he thinks of the tie rods but if I go that route I don't think Ill get very good service...
Old 10-19-2013, 06:00 PM   #2
tacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacomataco2's Tacoma Gallery
You're not frightened for your life?!?!
Guy sounds like a douche, but if you plan on going there often and you have lifetime alignments I'd say just get a couple moogs off rockauto put em in and use that lifetime alignment
Old 10-19-2013, 06:06 PM   #3
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
if the boots are torn it's only a matter of time before dirt gets in there and eats the joint up. I'd replace them if the boots are torn.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:20 PM   #4
Buckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: MI Officer
Buckoma's Tacoma Gallery
Might as well replace at 120k, before the shimmies and other problems begin, they aren't that much. Pretty easy to put on too.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:45 PM   #5
Probably should'nt have done that.
4banger4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4banger4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4banger4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4banger4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4banger4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4banger4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4banger4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4banger4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4banger4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4banger4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4banger4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
4banger4x4's Tacoma Gallery
They wouldn't align my truck because I had a bad tie rod and they said it is against the law for them to work on a car that has bad steering components. Fuckin rip. but moog outers are like 50-60 a side. Worth it after 120k.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:04 PM   #6
Wait for it...
StAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I had some Moog rods but didn't need them so traded them away. Im doing my L ball joints very soon so Ill probably knock these out too.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:09 PM   #7
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
Originals lasting 120? That's decent.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:06 AM   #8
He said "member"...
crainholio will become famous soon enough
Army: Tanker
crainholio's Tacoma Gallery
The local Firestone here said mine had bad inner tie rod ends when I took it in for tires and they did their "free" inspection. I asked to go in the shop and see the tech show me the slop in them, got a line of BS about how it's hard to see, declined the replacement and haven't been back since.

Later when it was at the dealer getting the frame inspection I had them inspect for inner tie rod end wear/damage, they found none.

I'm presuming that some shops pay commission or bonus $ on upsales for extra repairs, and a few dishonest people are motivated to pile on.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:17 AM   #9
OldPhart
bldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bldegle2's Tacoma Gallery
"I'm presuming that some shops pay commission or bonus $ on upsales for extra repairs, and a few dishonest people are motivated to pile on."

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

been happening ever since the birth of auto repair shops....
Old 10-20-2013, 06:18 AM   #10
TACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
Mine are original and have 175 on them. Have been checked and no play. I do have this loose steering issue though so probaly gonna start replacing shit soon.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:55 AM   #11
Buckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Buckoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by crainholio View Post
The local Firestone here said mine had bad inner tie rod ends when I took it in for tires and they did their "free" inspection. I asked to go in the shop and see the tech show me the slop in them, got a line of BS about how it's hard to see, declined the replacement and haven't been back since.

Later when it was at the dealer getting the frame inspection I had them inspect for inner tie rod end wear/damage, they found none.

I'm presuming that some shops pay commission or bonus $ on upsales for extra repairs, and a few dishonest people are motivated to pile on.
There is truth to this, but remember, if something like the inner tie rods need replacing then an alignment won't hold. I knew a person who was pissed about two failed alignments when his inners turned out to be bad and they didn't see it or tell him. It does not surprise me at all that a shop would recommend new tie rods when it wasn't necessary, but the OP has ripped boots and so they should be replace sooner rather than later. With lube getting out and debris getting in I wouldn't drive more than 6 or so months on them, depending on driving conditions.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:56 PM   #12
Wait for it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckoma View Post
There is truth to this, but remember, if something like the inner tie rods need replacing then an alignment won't hold. I knew a person who was pissed about two failed alignments when his inners turned out to be bad and they didn't see it or tell him. It does not surprise me at all that a shop would recommend new tie rods when it wasn't necessary, but the OP has ripped boots and so they should be replace sooner rather than later. With lube getting out and debris getting in I wouldn't drive more than 6 or so months on them, depending on driving conditions.
Not ripped, no leaking/grease. Just old and a bit dry rotted. Trust me, I did a thorough investigation on these, they are not bad .

I just don't want to replace them so pre-maturely due to a dick mechanic. It'll be a while before my next alignment is needed so maybe he'll forget...
Old 10-20-2013, 06:53 PM   #13

Buckoma's Tacoma Gallery
Ah, got it. Stay with 'em... maybe take it to a different Firestone next alignment if able, and see what they say.