Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Would this setup work?

Old 10-19-2013, 07:23 PM   #1
Wants to learn all about his Taco.
Taylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Taylor
Taylor's Tacoma Gallery
Would this setup work?

Rear leaves - http://toyteclifts.3dcartstores.com/...ngs_p_144.html

Shocks - http://downsouthmotorsports.com/i-13...ront-rear.html

coils - http://toyteclifts.3dcartstores.com/...ings_p_14.html

Sorry if this is a dumb post. I'm just wondering if this is a good set up, if there's anything else I need, and if I'm missing anything obvious here.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:07 PM   #3
Dilly04Taco is on a distinguished road
Army: Combat Medic
Name: Dylan
Dilly04Taco's Tacoma Gallery
You could just do Add-a-leaf and come out alot cheeper than buying new leaf springs for example
http://toyteclifts.3dcartstores.com/...afs_p_303.html
gives you 3 inches
Old 10-20-2013, 12:09 PM   #4
Dilly04Taco is on a distinguished road
Army: Combat Medic
Name: Dylan
Dilly04Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PartyBusGaming View Post
Rear leaves - http://toyteclifts.3dcartstores.com/...ngs_p_144.html

Shocks - http://downsouthmotorsports.com/i-13...ront-rear.html

coils - http://toyteclifts.3dcartstores.com/...ings_p_14.html

Sorry if this is a dumb post. I'm just wondering if this is a good set up, if there's anything else I need, and if I'm missing anything obvious here.

ive Actually order the same set up besides the add a leaf instead of new leaf springs!
Old 10-20-2013, 01:35 PM   #5
Taylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Taylor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilly04Taco View Post
You could just do Add-a-leaf and come out alot cheeper than buying new leaf springs for example
http://toyteclifts.3dcartstores.com/...afs_p_303.html
gives you 3 inches
My leaves look pretty weak. I don't want to get an AAL just to have it sag quickly from the other leaves sucking.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:04 PM   #6
Probably should'nt have done that.
4banger4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4banger4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4banger4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4banger4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4banger4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4banger4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4banger4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4banger4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4banger4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4banger4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4banger4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
4banger4x4's Tacoma Gallery
https://www.allprooffroad.com/9504ta...suspensionkits

comes with the extended rear brake line which youre gonna need. and last year around thanksgiving allpro did free shipping. maybe again this year also.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:58 PM   #7

Taylor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4banger4x4 View Post
https://www.allprooffroad.com/9504ta...suspensionkits

comes with the extended rear brake line which youre gonna need. and last year around thanksgiving allpro did free shipping. maybe again this year also.
Hmm.... I don't know if I want to mix and match my shocks. Anyone else have some feedback on this setup here?

Also, Around how much lift should I start looking at a diff drop?
Old 10-20-2013, 09:12 PM   #8
HBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Allen
HBtaco02's Tacoma Gallery
I have the Dakar rears and love them. But I did a ubolt flip and rear shock relocation with 10" 5125's
Old 10-20-2013, 09:18 PM   #9
4banger4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4banger4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4banger4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4banger4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4banger4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4banger4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4banger4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4banger4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4banger4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4banger4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4banger4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Hmm.... I don't know if I want to mix and match my shocks. Anyone else have some feedback on this setup here?

Also, Around how much lift should I start looking at a diff drop?
It's the setup I'm running and I love it. But it's not a big deal mixing and matching. They should all be valved for the tacomas.

And diff drops are a waste of coin. They might change your cv angel but a degree or two but it changes your drive shaft angel because the spacers only drop the front of the diff, therefore it makes the pinion stick higher up in the rear.

But if you have manual hubs like me you don't have to worry about your cvs
Old 10-20-2013, 09:58 PM   #10
Washington State University
SeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 0352
Name: Mark
SeattleCoug's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBtaco02 View Post
I have the Dakar rears and love them. But I did a ubolt flip and rear shock relocation with 10" 5125's
I was about to say... I know it says those leafs give 2 1/4" of lift but if it gives more (expo leafs said 3" lift, I got 3.5-4)-- what I'm getting at is if it gives you more lift you may need longer shocks (Bilstein 5125s). I'd give Toytec a call and double check with them, and give DSM a call to double check as well
Old 10-20-2013, 10:06 PM   #11
HBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Allen
HBtaco02's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleCoug View Post
I was about to say... I know it says those leafs give 2 1/4" of lift but if it gives more (expo leafs said 3" lift, I got 3.5-4)-- what I'm getting at is if it gives you more lift you may need longer shocks (Bilstein 5125s). I'd give Toytec a call and double check with them, and give DSM a call to double check as well
I got about 2.5" and that's with a shell.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:23 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleCoug View Post
It may seem like you got more than 3", but that's because your old spring were sagging and your new ones weren't broken in yet. And expo leafs give 3" of lift over stock when they have continuos weight on them
Old 10-21-2013, 03:36 AM   #13
Quack Addict
monstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

monstertaco12's Tacoma Gallery
I love my Dakars. Had the AAL but it wasnt enough. Have you looked into the Multi leaf progressive setup?

http://wheelersoffroad.com/product/a...dd-a-leaf-kit/
Old 10-21-2013, 05:04 AM   #15
Quack Addict
monstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

monstertaco12's Tacoma Gallery
Well then Dakar or All Pro is the way to go. I got the Dakars and never looked back...
Old 10-21-2013, 06:16 AM   #16
2scars will become famous soon enough
Navy: AMH2
Name: Brandon
2scars's Tacoma Gallery
What is your intended use?

That would make since to ask at this point. I know from experience that the regular All-Pro's do NOT hold any weight. My brother, who I lived and worked with when he got the AP's, had the regular ones and they would struggle with a bed of carpenters tools, however they would flex like no tomorrow. I had the Expo's on my truck for a minute before we went to Moab last year and I thought they were way too much leaf for my truck. He installed them on his truck with two of the leaves removed and he thought they worked well with his OME 882 and nitros in the front. He also had a 1" extended shackle in the rear. I changed to Dakars and the DX6L extra leaf for the trip to moab and then removed it once I took off the cap and sold it. Now it rides smooth and does well with the 10" 5125 shocks, but could have been the 9" ones.

That was more like 5 cents.

Brandon
Old 10-21-2013, 07:17 AM   #17

Taylor's Tacoma Gallery
My intended use is to continue using my truck as a truck. I plan on eventually hauling a motorcycle in the future and maybe towing cars for my buddies in the Car club I'm in to and from the track. I also plan on wheeling. Nothing INSANE, but I want to go out and ride some trails from time to time.

I really want leaves to lift and restore at least stock cargo rating. At this point, I'm sagging terribly with a few people in the bed.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:51 AM   #18

Consider the expos then, or call alcan, they custom tailor leafs to your needs.
Quote:
My intended use is to continue using my truck as a truck. I plan on eventually hauling a motorcycle in the future and maybe towing cars for my buddies in the Car club I'm in to and from the track. I also plan on wheeling. Nothing INSANE, but I want to go out and ride some trails from time to time.

I really want leaves to lift and restore at least stock cargo rating. At this point, I'm sagging terribly with a few people in the bed.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:09 AM   #19
Independant Thinker
Lumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Lumpskie's Tacoma Gallery
If you don't carry weight in your bed all the time, a standard spring pack will be fine. If you do have weight all the time, then you'll need a heavier pack. My Alcan 8 leaf pack doesn't sag much, even with 1000lbs in the bed. On the other hand, I need at least 150 lbs in the bed to get the suspension to flex.

FWIW, BoxRocket has the OME rear setup and seems to like it. My setup was $550 and the OME setup you were looking at was over $150 cheaper. If it works, why get something more expensive?
Old 10-21-2013, 10:57 AM   #20

Taylor's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, I've never heard anything bad about the OME springs. I mean, I ALWAYS have my toolbox on the back which is loaded down, but I wouldn't assume it's more than 200-250 pounds.