1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

engine check light @ 80,000 miles

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by crwmusic, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Nov 30, 2006 at 5:49 PM
    crwmusic

crwmusic [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hey everyone-

new here. nice to meet ya'll. My 1997 Tacoma V6 just crossed 81,000 miles and the check engine light went on. I have no idea why. I've misplaced my manual and am wondering if any of you know why this light would pop on. There seem to be no problems with the truck whatsoever. It does not tow heavy capacities and is currently used as a casual vehicle to and from work (approx. 10-15 miles a day).

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Chris

2. Nov 30, 2006 at 6:00 PM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    Best thing to do is take it to Autozone or Checker's/Schucks/Kragers or whtever the hell they call 'em where your at and have them plug in their ODBII diagnostic tool and see what code your ecu is throwing and let us know. There are many things that can cause the CEL to come on.

3. Nov 30, 2006 at 6:09 PM
    crwmusic

crwmusic [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hi-

I'll do that. Thanks!

4. Nov 30, 2006 at 7:33 PM
    97Taco

97Taco Member

Member:
    It has been my experience that the check engine light was usually caused by a bad O2 sensor. I have a 97 Tacoma with a 2.7 L., it has two sensors. One before the cat and one after.
    When my O2 sensor failed on my 2004 Rav4 it caused the gas mileage to drop and it seemed to run rough. The dealer replaced it under warranty.
    good luck

5. Dec 1, 2006 at 1:41 PM
    twoarezee

twoarezee Well-Known Member

Member:
    esco, ca
    Vehicle:
    00 Dropped Mini
    rims,tires,3"/6" drop, 4x4 front end, 01 tails and corners, prerunner buckets,tenzo r steering wheel w/ momo hub, b&m shifterw/ jdm trd knob, alpine system, tint, 3 3/4" autometer tach, jardine cat back, k&n, debaged, hellwig rear sway bar, kyb monomax shocks, tundra v8 oil filter w/ mobil 1 in ever
    more than likely a o2 sensor, same thing happened on my 98.

6. Dec 1, 2006 at 9:15 PM
    Jim Mann

Jim Mann Well-Known Member

Member:
    Same with my 96 with 160000 miles. The techs said just leave it alone, not really affecting anything in mine, repair is almost $300. Jim

7. Dec 2, 2006 at 2:05 AM
    TheMaster

TheMaster Born to Ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Chicky Baby
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC TRD Sport
    Bug shield, window visors, skid plate, rust proofing, tonneau cover, paint & upholstery protection, side step bars, navigation system.
    Not true Jim. You are polluting more and burning more gas. Your CAT will die sooner. They are not cheap, you know. Our vehicles are checked every 2 years for emission standards before plates will be renewed and the CAT is the most expensive component if your emmisions are regulated. You can do it yourself if you are handy. The old sensors are bonded solid due to high heat. You will need a special wrench or you could cut the wires to get the closed wrench in. Don’t use an open wrench to remove it or you will be sorry. Some heat will help break the bond. :smash:

8. Dec 2, 2006 at 6:59 AM
    Jim Mann

Jim Mann Well-Known Member

Member:
    My 96 has multiple OX sensors, according to the book. When we hooked the computer up to my truck, it determined that the sensor on the upstream side of the CC was the culprit, sending intermittent signals to the " check engine" light. The techs said that yes, it could affect these things that you mentioned, however, the gas mileage issue would probably be negligible ( their words, not mine ). It seems to be running smoothly, and the light hasn't flicked on for two weeks or so, so I don't think it has failed yet.
    Here in Alabama, we do not have any emissions testing requirements as of yet. Environmentally, yes, I do want to do the correct and responsible thing. However, You can put anything on the road here, as long as it has a tag. Not the best scenario, I agree, but Alabama is way behind California, Florida, and some other states and countries in environmental protection and legislation. If my check engine light does come on and stay, or the truck starts running rough, or I notice a change in something like that, I'll eat it and pay to have it fixed. I am not handy with tools, especially power tools. As long as I can still replace or splice the cords, however, I am willing to use them ! LOL
    Thanks for the info. JIm

9. Aug 27, 2007 at 7:47 PM
    tacomaclay

tacomaclay Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4 04
    Flowmaster exhaust, K&N 77 series intake, kobalt aluminum toolbox
    Maybe your oxygen sensor needs replaced?

10. Aug 27, 2007 at 9:44 PM
    humanoid

humanoid bite me

Member:
    Sunny SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I had a '99 Xtra Cab PreRunner SR5 V6
    Hopefully he's fixed it by now... after 10 months since this post was started.

Products Discussed in

To Top