1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

High beam electrical problem

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by taco47001, Nov 9, 2013.

1. Nov 9, 2013 at 4:52 PM
    taco47001

taco47001 [OP] Newborn

Member:
    Aurora, IN
    Vehicle:
    LX470
    I'll start from the beginning.

I started with wiring an on/off/on DPDT switch to my aux. driving lights. I had them wired in a fashion where the left "on" would turn them on, and the right "on" would turn them on ONLY when I switched on my high beams. I had originally tapped into the high beam wire at the drivers side plug. All was working fabulously, until I retro'ed HID's. After I installed them, I lost the "on with high beam" capability. I chalked this up to the need for an error canceler to be installed on the PS, as I had also lost my high beam indicator on the dash (not uncommon). Today, I installed the canceler in the passenger side plug and gave it a whirl. High beam indicator is now back, but still no aux driving lights with high beam. I break out my meter and this is what I find. I now have 7.4v coming from the high beam circuit. I have completly isolated it to verify that there are zero "non factory" loads on the circuit. I've checked both the PS, and DS. Both are reading the same 7.4v. The 7.4v will still operate the high beam shutter on my HID's but I'd like to know why I'm only getting 7v's instead of 12+v. Any ideas?

Edit: I just checked the voltage of the high beam circuit without the error canceler. It measured 1.1v to the high beam circuit with the HID's plugged in on the DS and nothing on the PS. I'm thinking it may be the canceler at this point. Who knows what size resistors are in it and that could really be contributing to the voltage drop.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  2. Jan 11, 2017 at 3:08 PM
    mtnkid85

mtnkid85 Well-Known Member

Member:
    MT
    Vehicle:
    1999 TRD Taco
    35s, Locked, blown
    Bumping this REALLY old thread. Taco, did you ever figure this out? I am currently dealing with something similar while trying to control auxiliary lights via the brights.

3. Jan 11, 2017 at 9:36 PM
    mechanicjon

mechanicjon They call me "Jonny Stubs"

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Vehicle:
    04 Taco SC 4dr SR5 TRD Prerunner
    Supercharged, AEM FIC/6, Meth Inj, ION Alloy's, Radio & Phone steering Wheel controls,Fabtech AAL, Billie's wrapped with 880's , Tundra big brake conversion, bully bars and Pioneer DDin Stereo/dvd with exterrnal usb ports. 290K and going strong.
    It would probably be best to use a relay triggered by the high beam -12v signal. The reason your having a problem is that our pickups headlights are turned on by grounding. The headlight switch just completes the ground to lights. It does not supply +12. I'm assuming your without DRL.
    Headlight wo DRL.jpg

4. Jan 12, 2017 at 6:58 AM
    mtnkid85

mtnkid85 Well-Known Member

Member:
    MT
    Vehicle:
    1999 TRD Taco
    35s, Locked, blown
    Mechanicjon, What Ive found is for what ever reason with a Bi-xeon HID installs the #8 R-W you are referring to no longer sees 12v. Like it normally would with stock head lights. What I found is with a functioning error canceller plugged in, then the #17 R-G indicator wire sees sufficient voltage to illuminate the dash light and can be used to trigger a aux light relay.

But thats kind of a round-a-bout way of making it work and if the cheap chinese error canceller fails then you lose your aux lights too.

5. Jan 12, 2017 at 10:38 AM
    mechanicjon

mechanicjon They call me "Jonny Stubs"

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Vehicle:
    04 Taco SC 4dr SR5 TRD Prerunner
    Supercharged, AEM FIC/6, Meth Inj, ION Alloy's, Radio & Phone steering Wheel controls,Fabtech AAL, Billie's wrapped with 880's , Tundra big brake conversion, bully bars and Pioneer DDin Stereo/dvd with exterrnal usb ports. 290K and going strong.
    This is how I'd do it.relay.jpg

cruiserguy likes this.
  6. Jan 24, 2017 at 3:59 PM
    taco47001

taco47001 [OP] Newborn

Member:
    Aurora, IN
    Vehicle:
    LX470
    Yes I did end up figuring it out... I wired them exactly as see below using a relay. I also had a canceler plugged in on the passenger side for the dash light high beam illuminator to function properly.

Products Discussed in

To Top