Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Looking for canoe hauling options

Old 11-15-2013, 09:43 PM   #1
shoeless is on a distinguished road
Name: Brian
shoeless's Tacoma Gallery
Looking for canoe hauling options

As of earlier this year, I am the proud new owner of a 03 DC.
I dont plan on doing any wheeling. I just needed a truck to get me places my modded VW couldn't.
Like many of you, I enjoy getting outdoors. I climb, mt. bike, backpack/camp, and just sold my kayak for a canoe. I managed without a rack system over the summer, but looking to change that next year.
I originally thought about a shell but am not crazy about losing the ability to occasionally haul. Ive been looking at the Thule Xsporter system. Cant seem to find any pics on a 1st ten though.

So, tl;dr……show me how you haul. Mainly canoe but also bike and car camping gear. Shell with rack? Xsporter? Other options?
What Im working with:

Thanks!
Old 11-15-2013, 10:39 PM   #2
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
I haven't done it on my truck yet....but I've researched the options.

For me...I'd buy a roof rack setup for the top of the cab.
I have a hitch....so, I'd probably get a rail setup that utilizes the hitch and telescopes high enough to support the kayak, This would allow you to have full usage of the bed..... (I have a tonneau cover)
Something like this:

But for now, I haven't needed to pull the plug on anything like this yet. I'm not sure I'll need it.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:46 PM   #3
Damn…..shouldve mentioned I have no hitch.
Thought about the roof rack option too though. Only really liked the OEM.

Thanks for the reply though!
Old 11-15-2013, 10:49 PM   #4
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoeless View Post
Damn…..shouldve mentioned I have no hitch.
Thought about the roof rack option too though. Only really liked the OEM.

Thanks for the reply though!
Search Google images ... "Tacoma kayak rack" and you'll see a lot of different ways / rack setups / etc.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:58 PM   #5
Already have…various times. Looking for advice of what members have used.
Searched other related threads as well.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:13 PM   #6
The Safety Guy
BDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brad
BDBSoCal's Tacoma Gallery
Shells can be taken off. With help. I did get the Thule tracks built into my shell in case I ever need to put something up there. The diagonal way you have the canoe mounted would give me the willies. I would want it horizontal.

You may want to talk to someone at REI, as they sell both rack systems (Yakima and Thule) and kayaks and canoes.
Old 11-16-2013, 06:14 AM   #7
Jesus thinks you suck too
Frkypunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrkypunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrkypunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrkypunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrkypunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrkypunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrkypunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrkypunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrkypunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrkypunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrkypunk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Timmy
Frkypunk's Tacoma Gallery
This is my cheap alternative...these cost me 60 bucks off Craigslist. They have paid for themselves already. I am a carpenter and use them all the time. Might not be the look you are after but they are cheap and come off with eight bolts.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:43 AM   #8
Taco Wagon
offrdmania has a spectacular aura aboutoffrdmania has a spectacular aura about

Name: Matt
offrdmania's Tacoma Gallery
Try a Backrack headache rack and ladder rack
Old 11-16-2013, 07:54 AM   #9
TIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
TIPICOTACO's Tacoma Gallery
I have a cap and Thule system, but I also have a factory roof rack (Perry Craft) on my cab which could easily haul a canoe/kayak. Many guys have added a rack to the top of their cab by either drilling into the roof or utilizing the rain gutters, Thule/Yakima/Inno all make good products. If you are ok w/ drilling into your roof you could always find a roof rack in a junkyard and make it work, If not, check out Thule xsporter

Here's my setup:
Old 11-16-2013, 08:07 AM   #10
BuddyS is on a distinguished road
BuddyS's Tacoma Gallery
Funny, I'm in the exact same boat (no pun intended). I just sold a modded vw and now have an access cab and want to carry my kayak around. My current thinking is either a hitch-mounted goalpost thing and a yakima bar on the rear of the cab, or maybe fab up some kind of rack to mount via the track/rails toward the end of the bed (mine is a second gen taco) and then the yakima bar at the front. My goal is to keep it simple and as light as possible so that it is easy to remove/store in the garage when not in use.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:59 AM   #11
wenkev has a spectacular aura aboutwenkev has a spectacular aura about
Army: C 2/505 82nd Airborne
Name: Kevin
wenkev's Tacoma Gallery
I have a set of Thule Xsporter for sale.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/buy...k-set-2-a.html
Now $300
Old 01-21-2014, 11:10 AM   #12
phs2dent is on a distinguished road
phs2dent's Tacoma Gallery
Transporting a canoe on vehicle without rack:
1. Place pieces of foam pipe insulation on gunwales of canoe
2. Flip canoe and place on roof of truck or car
3. Balance canoe to where it doesn't fall forward or backwards.
4. Tie down the canoe, front and back, with rope creating a triangle from the frame, to handle of the canoe, to the frame.
5. Use ratchet straps over the center of the canoe to keep it centered on the roof.

If everything is taught and tied properly (taught-line hitch) the canoe will stay in place at highway speeds with crosswinds. Until you get the hang of it, adjustments will need to be made to keep the canoe from moving around.