1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2001 1st Gen Tacoma Acting Up, Suggestions?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by dopesoner930, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Nov 21, 2013 at 6:35 PM
    dopesoner930

dopesoner930 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Hello all,

I bought my tacoma about 3 months back it is a 1st gen 2001 v6, with aprox 180,000 miles. Within the 1st week of having it the check engine light came on and it was transmission related. Dealer covered costs to replace solenoids. No issues for a few months until now. Noticed it first one morning when i put the truck in drive (its an automatic) the truck jolted I mean bad since then it seems to do this every time i start the truck if the engine is cold. I then can feel the truck changing gears with a light jolt but once the truck is warm its minimal to gone. My car buddy checked the transmission fluid said it was low and dirty so we will be changing that this weekend and i am hoping that will fix it. Any other suggestions?

Secondly, the truck has only done this twice but if the engine isnt warmed and you give it pretty good gas the truck dies and requires you to start it and give it gas a few times before its back and running. Again only twice out of 3 months owning it but it happened yesterday so its fresh on my mind. Buddy said might be fuel pump. Recommended I use the sea foam treatment. Any input or other suggestions on this as well?

Thank you all for your time and help :)

2. Nov 21, 2013 at 7:10 PM
    somethinboutayota

somethinboutayota Dorthy left Kansas for a reason

Member:
    First Name:
    Parker
    Dodge City, Kansas
    Vehicle:
    Go to get alignment- replace whole front end
    Debadged and painted, plasti-dip bumper , Sock monkey decals, tool box, K&N cold air intake, flag holder/fishing pole holder, Satoshi, magnaflow 40 series, spidertrax wheel spacers, map lights, led reverse lights, led dash assembly lights, roof top LED bar
    I agree with the fuel pump suggestion, Sounds like you may be having the same problem I went through,my transmission blew a week after owning it (had to pay out of pocket :() But that was my experience, you might go through spark plugs and wires too

3. Nov 21, 2013 at 7:20 PM
    Fenwick1993

Fenwick1993 Hillbilly

Member:
    First Name:
    Not Fenwick
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 5Lug, 2015 PreRunner
    Stonewall is the fattest 5 lug slug ever
    The second problem does sound like a fuel pump. Do you ever notice any weakness in the truck, sluggishness or hesitation? Run seafoam, maybe, or you can do what I did- I started throwing the Valvoline Fuel System Cleaner stuff in the truck every 3000 miles.
    I saw a noticeable difference in my truck when I did this.
    Of course, your fuel pump could be too far gone. This may not make a difference. But it's worth a shot, and couldn't hurt.

4. Nov 21, 2013 at 10:10 PM
    Alderleet

Alderleet Ace of Spades

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Salty Hell
    Vehicle:
    '00 Acc Cab TRD 4x4
    before you invest in a fuel pump replacement, try replacing your fuel filter. It may have gotten clogged up with 180k miles of shit...

anyway, try replacing the cheap things first. Plugs, wires, filters, ect.
    actually clean your throttle body, IAC valve, pcv valve (or replace it, since its probably shitty already), upper cylinders, ect.

I had a wierd power problem like this when i first started using fuel additives to clean out my engine. Turns out, it knocked all kinds of gross shit loose in my fuel tank, and clogged up my fuel filter something fierce. (the unfiltered side leaked gas that looked like chocolate milk. It was friggin nasty)

5. Nov 22, 2013 at 5:18 AM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    Try a trans-go reprogramming kit in the valve body http://www.transgo.com/products.php...d=253&countdisplay=1&start=0&addcountview=Yes

Possibly here : http://www.sonnax.com/system/announcement/A340E-LATE-ZIP.pdf

And here
    With the higher mileage , you may have boost issues with line pressure .
    Here is a Sonnax fix http://www.sonnax.com/system/announcement/97855-23K-30K.pdf

and here : http://www.sonnax.com/system/instructions/A340-LATE-ZIP-Booklet.pdf

If your buddy has a line pressure guage for the transmission , I suggest checking some pressures while the truck is cold and then again once it warms up .

It does sound like a couple issues , 1 transmission related and the other is engine

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013

Products Discussed in

To Top