1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

quick rear axle question

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 604YOTA, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Dec 6, 2013 at 12:41 AM
    604YOTA

604YOTA [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Disco Stu
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD SR5
    Grey wire mod, eibach, 5100's & 5125's, ome Dakar leafs, 1.25 rear shackle, Gibson exhaust, ram air intake, throttle body spacer, boot slide mod, poly bushing kit, extended brake lines.
    Is it normal to have a ruubber cap over the breather on my rear axle?

Wanting to know because iv been told to watch out that when I go into deep mud or water because water will go in the breather..obviously with a cap it won't

So is the cap normal?

2. Dec 6, 2013 at 12:45 AM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    Rubber cap over the breather will likely prevent the axle from breathing, and you may find that it will try and breath through the axle wheel seals instead creating a larger problem.

3. Dec 6, 2013 at 12:48 AM
    604YOTA

604YOTA [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Disco Stu
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD SR5
    Grey wire mod, eibach, 5100's & 5125's, ome Dakar leafs, 1.25 rear shackle, Gibson exhaust, ram air intake, throttle body spacer, boot slide mod, poly bushing kit, extended brake lines.
    Hmm interesting cuz I never put it on and looks like its been on for a long time.

4. Dec 6, 2013 at 1:49 AM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.
    a rubby breather is like a Donkey Dick..yes..that is a real thing..ha Use them in the oil fields. But they are usually sealed in a metal housing too incase they burst. The rub expands and contracts.

However..not normal for our axles. Should have a breather. Use this opportunity to do the diff breather mod.

Products Discussed in

To Top