Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Flares: paint or bedliner or other

View Poll Results: Flares: Painted, Bed Liner, Other?
Painted 15 34.88%
Bed Liner 22 51.16%
Other 6 13.95%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-11-2013, 11:41 AM   #1
"old Brett"
BDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
BDN's Tacoma Gallery
Flares: paint or bedliner or other

Fender flares, do you prefer painted, bedlined or leave them raw or something else?

If bedlined, how easy are they to keep clean?
Will the high pressure sprayer at the car wash peel it off plastic flares?
Old 12-11-2013, 12:35 PM   #2
Augies Adventures
Augie95toy is one of the sharper tools in the shedAugie95toy is one of the sharper tools in the shedAugie95toy is one of the sharper tools in the shedAugie95toy is one of the sharper tools in the shedAugie95toy is one of the sharper tools in the shedAugie95toy is one of the sharper tools in the shedAugie95toy is one of the sharper tools in the shedAugie95toy is one of the sharper tools in the shedAugie95toy is one of the sharper tools in the shedAugie95toy is one of the sharper tools in the shedAugie95toy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Andrew
Augie95toy's Tacoma Gallery
With proper prep work, sanding and oil free, I've had good success with bedliner on my flares.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:40 PM   #3
Just duct tape it
jspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jay
jspansel's Tacoma Gallery
I plan on bedlining my flares, and chrome bumpers/grill. Hate chrome. Once the weather warms up of course. I have heard mixed reviews of the spray can stuff... Not sure what I will use yet.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:34 PM   #4
Feet in the water...
Silver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Silver02Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to Silver02Taco Send a message via AIM to Silver02Taco Send a message via MSN to Silver02Taco Send a message via Yahoo to Silver02Taco
I used Forever Black Trim Dye on mine. Works very well, IMHO.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:38 PM   #5
davidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: David
davidpick's Tacoma Gallery
i have mine derp'd right now, but am considering going to bed liner soon (too cold currently)
Old 12-11-2013, 04:59 PM   #6
teehext is on a distinguished road

Name: Tyler
teehext's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver02Taco View Post
I used Forever Black Trim Dye on mine. Works very well, IMHO.
How has it held up? I've also been debating between bedliner or a restoration product.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:04 PM   #7
PcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: A1C
Name: Brent
PcBuilder14's Tacoma Gallery
I've had mine bedlined for over 8 months now and they've held up great through tight trails and tire rubbing. Pretty easy to clean of with a pressure washer too.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:36 PM   #8
HBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Allen
HBtaco02's Tacoma Gallery
I am in the process of removing the rears already removed fronts. ...
But if you keep them bedliners works good.. just do your prep work before you spray them.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:48 PM   #9
2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: chris
2008taco's Tacoma Gallery
well im a 2nd gen, but i have mine monstalined. Looks good, is very durable, stays very clean, but large branches and rocks will make noticeable scratches.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:29 AM   #10
stumpjumper509 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstumpjumper509 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstumpjumper509 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstumpjumper509 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstumpjumper509 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstumpjumper509 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstumpjumper509 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstumpjumper509 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstumpjumper509 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstumpjumper509 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstumpjumper509 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: spamuel
stumpjumper509's Tacoma Gallery
my truck came with color matched flares, looks soooo clean. get jealous compliments on them all the time
Old 12-12-2013, 12:35 AM   #11
flatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shed

flatblack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDN View Post
Fender flares, do you prefer painted, bedlined or leave them raw or something else?

OP, what flares are you running?
I ask cause I have a 95.5; I see you have the same era
From your tiny Sig pic it looks like 98-00 TRD flares?
That's what I'd like to throw on mine or something similiar
Were you able to install them without drilling and such?
Old 12-12-2013, 06:52 AM   #12
"old Brett"
BDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BDN's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatblack View Post
OP, what flares are you running?
I ask cause I have a 95.5; I see you have the same era
From your tiny Sig pic it looks like 98-00 TRD flares?
That's what I'd like to throw on mine or something similiar
Were you able to install them without drilling and such?
Actually the flares on the truck are coming off. They are aftermarket and don't fit real well. They look ok from a distance, like crap up close.

I have new Bushwacker's that I want to prep.

You from CDA? I'm originally from Sandpoint.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:46 PM   #13
Feet in the water...
Silver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Silver02Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to Silver02Taco Send a message via AIM to Silver02Taco Send a message via MSN to Silver02Taco Send a message via Yahoo to Silver02Taco
Quote:
Originally Posted by teehext View Post
How has it held up? I've also been debating between bedliner or a restoration product.
It's holding up nicely, but it's only been on for about 4 months now. They claim it'll withstand 300+ Washes and not fade. Time will tell on that.
Old 12-14-2013, 10:13 PM   #14
flatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shed

flatblack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Actually the flares on the truck are coming off. They are aftermarket and don't fit real well. They look ok from a distance, like crap up close.

I have new Bushwacker's that I want to prep.

You from CDA? I'm originally from Sandpoint.
Been living here for 3 years
Love Sandpoint, would much rather live there

Move here from NY

I was thinking about buying some Street or OE Bushwacker flares for mine;
but, I don't know if they require drilling and all (haven't got close enough to actually considering dropping money on them that I've called to ask)
Don't want to start mangling my truck
Old 12-15-2013, 06:51 AM   #15
"old Brett"

BDN's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatblack View Post
Been living here for 3 years
Love Sandpoint, would much rather live there

Move here from NY

I was thinking about buying some Street or OE Bushwacker flares for mine;
but, I don't know if they require drilling and all (haven't got close enough to actually considering dropping money on them that I've called to ask)
Don't want to start mangling my truck
I'd like to move back to Sandpoint to retire.

I bought the 1 1/2" extend-a-fender flares, looks close to oem to me. No drilling on the truck was required. I put them on yesterday.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:16 AM   #16
XxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr.Chow
XxTHe FioLOxX's Tacoma Gallery
I painted mine with rustoleum flat black and they're holding up pretty good , every one in a while I'll put some armor all on them too
Old 12-15-2013, 08:06 AM   #17
jdkilroy is a splendid one to beholdjdkilroy is a splendid one to beholdjdkilroy is a splendid one to beholdjdkilroy is a splendid one to beholdjdkilroy is a splendid one to beholdjdkilroy is a splendid one to beholdjdkilroy is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jon
jdkilroy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

You might try using a "Mr. Clean MAGIC ERASER" on them just to see how they turn out. makes 'em look brand new again for a couple dollars.

Flares: paint or bedliner or other-mr_clean.jpg
Old 12-15-2013, 09:55 AM   #18
"old Brett"

BDN's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxTHe FioLOxX View Post
I painted mine with rustoleum flat black and they're holding up pretty good , every one in a while I'll put some armor all on them too
Sweet looking single cab!
Old 12-15-2013, 10:04 AM   #19
jdkilroy is a splendid one to beholdjdkilroy is a splendid one to beholdjdkilroy is a splendid one to beholdjdkilroy is a splendid one to beholdjdkilroy is a splendid one to beholdjdkilroy is a splendid one to beholdjdkilroy is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jon
jdkilroy's Tacoma Gallery
definitely x 2 ^^^^^
Old 12-15-2013, 11:01 AM   #20
XxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr.Chow
XxTHe FioLOxX's Tacoma Gallery
thanks guys !

Products Discussed in this Thread