Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Very strange weerring sound???

Old 01-20-2014, 06:08 PM   #21
toendanger is just really nicetoendanger is just really nicetoendanger is just really nicetoendanger is just really nicetoendanger is just really nice
Name: Harlan
toendanger's Tacoma Gallery
I am having a noise too, always been there since i got the truck but getting louder. Mine is more of a grinding noise or that of a pulley being loose, but I replaced the idler pulley as it was wobbly but no fix. I guess I will have to try removing the belts and see if it goes away. But I got to thinking as I stuck my head in close to listen and it sounds like its behind the timing belt cover. I see that there is two smaller idler pulleys inside for the timing belt itself on parts diagrams and wonder if one of those may be bad. Because it does sound like a bearing that is going out and grinding. Anyone ever heard of those going bad and making that grinding noise? It almost sounds like a chain slapping noise too if that helps describe it better, even though it couldnt be that because its a belt not a chain... But thats what it sounds like..
Oh and the temp does not affect it at all.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:46 PM   #22
mechanicmandan is on a distinguished road
Name: Dan
mechanicmandan's Tacoma Gallery
if its sort of a grinding/growling noise and it sounds like its coming from the front of the engine near the timing belt area id definately look into seeing if your waterpump is bad
Old 02-25-2014, 01:55 PM   #23
Black Taco
Beau02 has a spectacular aura aboutBeau02 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Beau
Beau02's Tacoma Gallery
I'm having this issue now and found this thread. My belts are tight.

I checked the power steering fluid level and it was just a shade low & I topped it off, but that didn't make a change. The sound doesn't change during steering, so I wasn't suspecting p/s fluid anyway.

But, I did the old broomstick to the ear listening trick and it sure seem to me that the sound is coming from the power steering pump. Has anyone had the bearing on the pump go out and make this sound? Is it a safe assumption if that ends up being the culprit I'm in for a whole new pump?
Old 02-26-2014, 07:50 AM   #24
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau02 View Post
But, I did the old broomstick to the ear listening trick and it sure seem to me that the sound is coming from the power steering pump. Has anyone had the bearing on the pump go out and make this sound? Is it a safe assumption if that ends up being the culprit I'm in for a whole new pump?
Do you have a separate belt for the PS, or a serpentine? If you have a separate belt, remove it to see if the noise goes away.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:58 PM   #25
Black Taco
Beau02 has a spectacular aura aboutBeau02 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Beau
Beau02's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tan4x4 View Post
Do you have a separate belt for the PS, or a serpentine? If you have a separate belt, remove it to see if the noise goes away.
Good call, thanks! I was sure it was the p/s pump, figured the screen was clogged in the reservoir. I got the fluid out and looked at the screen . . . virtually spotless. Pulled the p/s pump drive belt and dammit if the sound didn't stay! Turns out it was the notorious idler pulled bearing for the a/c compressor belt.