Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Very strange weerring sound???

Old 12-11-2013, 05:27 PM   #1
043RZ is on a distinguished road

Name: Matt
043RZ's Tacoma Gallery
Very strange weerring sound???

Have a problem... My truck is making a strange weeering sound that changes in pitch as the engine idles. This started happening when the weather got cold and was intermittent when engine would be cold and would completely go away once things warmed up. But now its getting louder and more consistent. Its loudest when first started up when cold and gets higher in pitch and louder when engine RPMs increase. As things warm up it gets quieter but you can still notice it at idle and gets louder when RPMs increase, but not as loud if the engine was cold. This all started when the weather got cold and like i said was intermittent, but now its almost always there when i start the truck up in the morning or after work. I popped the hood tonight when i got home from work and its sounds like its coming from the front of the engine (pullys, belts). My guess is a pulley bearing somewhere, but everything is so noisy i cant pinpoint it. If it is a bearing, iv never heard a bearing go out like this, im use to a high pitch sequel. Im hoping its only one of the belt tensioner pulleys and not a water pump, power steering or alternator.

Hoping you guys can shead some light hear on what it might be and how to pinpoint it. Also why does it seem to quiet down when the engine temp goes up?
Old 12-11-2013, 06:23 PM   #2

043RZ's Tacoma Gallery
You could say it sounds like a howling sound as well if that helps?
Old 12-11-2013, 06:29 PM   #3
polack is on a distinguished road
polack's Tacoma Gallery
mine just did this tonight on the way home. Engine was warmed up to operating temp. i just changed my alternator so i doubt it's that. it stopped after i popped the hood and tried to listen while pushing the throttle manually. i will check it as it happens throughout the week. i'm now carrying a can of wd-40 to hit each tensioner bearing as it squeals to rule each one out. I'm thinking mine is coming from the water pump. It sounded rough three weeks ago one morning but cleared up after throttle tap.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:34 PM   #4
604YOTA is on a distinguished road

Name: Disco Stu
604YOTA's Tacoma Gallery
Check the belts mine was squealing bad a month ago ended up being a loose belt and a worn one
Old 12-11-2013, 06:35 PM   #5
PcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: A1C
Name: Brent
PcBuilder14's Tacoma Gallery
Mine does the same thing and I'm pretty sure it's the fan pulley...
Old 12-11-2013, 07:14 PM   #6

043RZ's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the replies!!! Its not a squeal tho. Its hard to describe the noise. Like a low drowning grown. I work 5-2 tomorrow so after work i may pull all the belts and check the pulleys to see if there is and wiggle room or take each belt off at a time until the noise stops any suggestions?

Also do any of your Tacomas make funny noises when the weather starts getting cold out, but stops as soon as the weather warms back up?

Also i replaced the belts and tensioners a few thousand miles back, but did get my pulleys from Napa and belts from Toyota.

What should i look for when inspecting everything?
Old 12-11-2013, 07:45 PM   #7
604YOTA is on a distinguished road

Name: Disco Stu
604YOTA's Tacoma Gallery
CrAcks in the belts strange uneven wear. Wiggling in the Phillies.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:55 AM   #8
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Could be the power steering pump complaining about low fluid (ATF for Toyotas)
Old 12-12-2013, 12:56 PM   #10
mkatts is one of the sharper tools in the shedmkatts is one of the sharper tools in the shedmkatts is one of the sharper tools in the shedmkatts is one of the sharper tools in the shedmkatts is one of the sharper tools in the shedmkatts is one of the sharper tools in the shedmkatts is one of the sharper tools in the shedmkatts is one of the sharper tools in the shedmkatts is one of the sharper tools in the shedmkatts is one of the sharper tools in the shedmkatts is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Joe
mkatts's Tacoma Gallery
Usually very cold temps cause power steering pumps to make those kids of "weerin" noised. Mine did it for the first time this morning. I t was definatly the PS pump. it was -6 this morning. The tone changed slightly while turning the wheel for mine. But that isn't always the case.
If you have a long pry bar, put it against the PS pump and put your ear to the handle while it's making that noise. You can usually hear it through the pry bar. If you don't, try each of the driven accessories and pulleys. You will most likely find the culprit.
Old 12-12-2013, 04:52 PM   #11
.<>./
capetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

capetaco12's Tacoma Gallery
^im with the guy who has the Toyota cat in his sig.
Iv replaced the AC pulley a gazillion times(or only 3). Scince its so low it takes the brute of the roadsalt/mud.

To isolate the problem use the rod/screwdriver method. Put the tip on a non moving part of the bearing. like the bolt holding it on.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mpNRJ7m-c8
Old 12-12-2013, 05:26 PM   #12

043RZ's Tacoma Gallery
Well it was screaming today again and figured as soon as I get home pop the hood and look at things more closely. Well wouldn't you know it the noise stopped and all was normal. Its suppose to get to like 12degrees tonight so hopefully it will scream again when I start it tomorrow, pull in garage and inspect. I may pull the power steering pump belt, start it and see what happens. If thats not it the a/c pump belt next, then lastly the alternator/water pump. It doesn't sound like a power steering pump because the pitch doesn't change when the wheel is turned. Gotta be the idler pulleys, water pump or alternator.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:33 PM   #13
XXXXL Member
darkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

darkgreentaco's Tacoma Gallery
Does the sound seem like it's coming from your speakers or do you hear it outside your truck as well?
Old 12-13-2013, 07:01 AM   #14

043RZ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkgreentaco View Post
Does the sound seem like it's coming from your speakers or do you hear it outside your truck as well?
Its deff not coming from the speakers. When I'm in the truck its coming from the front and when running and outside of the truck its coming from the frontal area (engine). At first I thought it was my throwout bearing but the noise does not change when I push in and out on the clutch. So I'm pretty certain that from the flywheel back is fine.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:01 AM   #15
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 043RZ View Post
Well it was screaming today
'screaming' sounds more like an idler pulley. Common problem on
high-mileage trucks. I carry spares.

You need to narrow it down.

Remove the A/C belt and see if the sound goes away.
Then try the P/S belt.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:34 AM   #16
XXXXL Member
darkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

darkgreentaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 043RZ View Post
Its deff not coming from the speakers. When I'm in the truck its coming from the front and when running and outside of the truck its coming from the frontal area (engine). At first I thought it was my throwout bearing but the noise does not change when I push in and out on the clutch. So I'm pretty certain that from the flywheel back is fine.
gotcha, just trying to eliminate the altrntor/grounding issues

idler pulley bearing maybe?
Old 12-13-2013, 02:37 PM   #17

043RZ's Tacoma Gallery
Fired up the 60,000btu heater and pulled it in the garage and took a closer look at everything. Before i pulled any belts i tugged on them all and the A/C belt was very loose (i could take the idler pulley and turn it with my hand). But i figured there is no way that that is whats making this awful sound. I pulled the A/C belt and the Power steering belt, started it up and the noise was gone. So that indicated that it was not the water pump or Alternator... Thank God!! So i examined every pulley to see if there was any wiggle in any of them and there was non, however when i spun the A/C idler pulley, there was a bit of roughness to that so i figured that was my culprit. Put the A/C belt back on and tightened it nice and snug, started it up and no noise!! Hmmm, put the power steering pump belt back on, started it up and no noise! So i guess that little bit of A/C belt looseness was making all that noise after all. Im leaving the truck sit out over night to see if the temperature has anything to do with it. Fingers crossed that i fixed the problem.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:48 PM   #18
Banned
trailhoor is on a distinguished road
trailhoor's Tacoma Gallery
Any updates on this? I've been hearing a loud whining noise (I'll call it) when my truck idles in the morning when it's cold out. It is by no means a consistent noise or pattern but this is the typical scenario:

* start truck cold in am, say temp is about 15F or colder
* truck starts normal, fan blows lot's of air for 30 seconds, then that noise falls off
* truck idles for about 3 minutes at higher idle without the whine
* another couple of minutes and idle drops to about 900-1,000rpms

Then the whine starts. It comes and goes but when it's there, its LOUD. If I barely blip the throttle it disappears. When I pull out of the driveway, it disappears. When I drive to work, no noise. Once the engine is good and warm, no noise. Just when I let it warm up and don't touch the throttle.

I've popped my head under the hood when it's whining loudly and I cannot tell where it's coming from- crazy considering how loud it is. It's not a belt- it's not a screech. I am guessing it's a bearing somewhere on the belt drive, either an idler pulley, or maybe PS pump or AC pump. I have not turned the wheel when it's whining to see if it stops or changes pitch- I'll do that next. A stethoscope may help pinpoint it. I read the idler pulley bearing replacement post and could try that- easy enough fix. I'll try and get a sound bite for you guys too. I do have a TRD s/c and would be bummed if it's the snout. My truck has 66k on it.

If anyone relates to my whine, please chime in. Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:55 PM   #19
OldPhart
bldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bldegle2's Tacoma Gallery
refer to post #11, and/or remove each belt separately to see if it stops, as the OP did....