1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Timing Belt and water pump change

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by stagermx317, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Dec 13, 2013 at 10:52 AM
    stagermx317

stagermx317 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    95 Tacoma 4x4 V-6
    Pacesetter Catback K&N Air Filter 3" lift 32x11.5 Tires Manik Grill Guard Performance Products Nerf Bars Carbon Fiber Tail lights
    Hey guys I am needing some help doing my water pump/timing belt. I was looking on here and youtube for some clarification. I saw on rockauto that there are 2 types of water pumps, and wanted to get the parts before I get it tore apart. I saw one with an oil cooler and one without. I am assuming that the oil cooler pump is only for automatic trannys? I have the 3.4 with the 5 speed manual by the way.

My second question is removing the crankshaft bolt, I have heard you can put a breaker bar on it and wedge it under the frame and bump the starter for a second and it should break it loose. That sounds pretty scary to me and I was wondering if anyone else has done that with any success. Thanks in advance

2. Dec 13, 2013 at 10:59 AM
    JLee50

JLee50 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    Stockish 99 4x4 TRD
    ToyTec coilovers
    I haven't done the starter trick myself..I don't think...

Hmm. Maybe I did, many years ago - but the last one I had the motor out of the car so it wasn't a big deal. But yeah, it's very common and is about the easiest way to break it loose.

Get an Aisin pump, btw - that's the OE Toyota manufacturer.

3. Dec 13, 2013 at 2:06 PM
    stagermx317

stagermx317 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    95 Tacoma 4x4 V-6
    Pacesetter Catback K&N Air Filter 3" lift 32x11.5 Tires Manik Grill Guard Performance Products Nerf Bars Carbon Fiber Tail lights
    Thanks JLee, I thought Toyota used Gates as the OEM or is that some other parts?

4. Dec 13, 2013 at 4:52 PM
    kn38ms

kn38ms Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW, FL
    I always wanted to tackle this job, but when I found out my local dealer
    could do it for $800 I said have at it...

5. Dec 13, 2013 at 5:09 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    I always do it this way. Need to know what your doing. Protect the radiator with something in case the breaker bar pops off. The question is do u have a chain wrench to hold the balancer to tighten it back up. I have put the truck in second gear and had someone hit the brakes to torque the bolt back. Need a lot more throw as the drivetrain starts to twist but it can be done.

6. Dec 13, 2013 at 9:29 PM
    james

james In over my head...

Member:
    Friday Harbor, WA: Fairbanks, AK
    Vehicle:
    '98 Tacoma V6
  7. Dec 13, 2013 at 9:30 PM
    stagermx317

stagermx317 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    95 Tacoma 4x4 V-6
    I just got a bungee cord to keep some tension on it while i bumped the starter, I just got in from the garage and it was a success. I don't know what a chain wrench is but i will probably just install the bolt back with my impact gun.

8. Dec 13, 2013 at 9:32 PM
    stagermx317

stagermx317 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    95 Tacoma 4x4 V-6
    James, I just got the pump off and mine also has the oil cooler line, I don't understand why i have that since I have a 5-speed. I'm just glad I didn't order the other one before I pulled the pump off.

9. Dec 14, 2013 at 3:25 AM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    If we could get the bolt out with a impact without pulling the rad we would.
    That's the reason for doing it this way.
    A chain wrench is a adjustable bar with a chain that wraps around the balancer. Holds it so the bolt can be torqued.
    If the rad is out then there was no need to do the starter method if the access to the bolt was enough to use the impact gun. Also you really shouldn't use the impact to install. I did see a buddy snap one during install. Was not a happy day for him.. There are some things that need to be done by the book. That bolt is one of them. Glad things are moving along...

10. Dec 14, 2013 at 4:09 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    My husband and I did a water pump several years ago on our 96 3.4L.
    Here's a write-up (if it can help you).

We didn't change the timing belt. That as done when we bought the truck a few years prior....

http://www.lieblweb.com/waterpump.html

Products Discussed in

To Top