1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Power Steering Disaster!!

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by rockytaco, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Dec 18, 2013 at 6:03 PM
    rockytaco

rockytaco [OP] New Member

Member:
    rickies
    Vehicle:
    98 SR5 Taco
    none yet!
    Ok so new to the forum and hoping that someone might have some ideas on what could be the issue. To help make a long story short, I replaced the power steering pump after it started squealing like crazy during the recent cold snap (-15 degrees). Flush fresh fluid through and all that and it still made the noise, and at this point I lost all power steering what so ever. So after digging around and speaking with my trusty mechanic I decided to swap out steering rack. (pain in the arse!) After that swapped pumps again and still no power steering. the noise went away but still no power steering. Changed both return hoses and flushed the system a third time still with no luck. Does anybody have any clue or ideas on where to look next? Please Help!!!http://i.twstatic.net/forum/images/smilies/mad.gif

2. Dec 18, 2013 at 7:45 PM
    Zer0

Zer0 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SGV, California
    Vehicle:
    99 PreRunner
    and fluid and reset the battery before you start the car. it sounds like the fluid isnt making it to the pump. try bleeding the line

3. Dec 19, 2013 at 12:06 AM
    Loggerhead

Loggerhead Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seán
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2002 SR5 TRD 5spd 3.4 Xtra Cab
    I'd try disconnecting the return line and bleeding the system. If that still doesn't help then perhaps it could be that the little screen filter in the bottom of the reservoir is gunked up. I had this happen to mine and it would squeal and whine when it was really cold out. I cleaned it out, drained and flushed the system then refilled with synthetic fluid. It's been fine ever since and it's been -10 and colder lately.

You are using atf and not power steering fluid right? This could maybe affect your ps system. Also, check to make sure that the fluid isn't low.

Products Discussed in

To Top