1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Upgrading to Tundra caliper or other bigger calipers on 15" wheels??

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Dick4x4, Dec 22, 2013.

1. Dec 22, 2013 at 8:11 AM
    Dick4x4

Dick4x4 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Quebec
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4 2.7 Auto
    Hi guys,

first congratulation to myself, I've been stupid enough to renew both my summer and winter tires set-up even knowing upgrading to 16" wheels would allow me to finally do the Tundra brake upgrade.

I want to upgrade my brake, the ones I have are on their last miles and I feel one wheel maybe harder to turn on some circounstances. Usually unoticable but I drove like 30 miles on a total icy highway yesterday and was feeling that the truck could be rotating a little bit around one wheel, not sure but it's telling me it's time to replace theses 17 years old calipers.

Problem is, I don't feel like replacing all my tires again.

I know there is two tundra model calipers, do one of them is smaller than the other one and could have more chance to be fitted in with some grinding? I know there is plenty of casting meet in calipers and I'm not afraid to remove a little bit of material. Therefore, I won't launch myself in a project that is not doable anyways.

If some of you could have tips for me it would be really appreciated.

Worst case, I'll just buy OEM size calipers with good pads but I'd rather upgrading.

My summer wheels are like 3.75BS but y winter wheels are OEM Toyota.

[​IMG]

2. Dec 22, 2013 at 8:15 AM
    AR15xAR10

AR15xAR10 AR10 is 5 ARs better

Member:
    Triangle of 26726, 21532, 21502
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4x4 V6 IndigoInkPearl ACLBFTMFW
    Please refer to build (click signature picture)
    You could just buy an EBC brake kit built for your truck (if they make one) and not have to have a bigger size to get better lasting/better braking products....

I know 02-09 4runner kit fits 05-11 tacomas but that doesn't really help your situation.... :(

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  3. Dec 22, 2013 at 8:17 AM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    I'd stay with stock front calipers for now and don't skimp on cheap pads.

I was tempted to upgrade to the Tundra calipers, but heard that if you have stock-diameter tires, and don't carry big loads, you don't really need the larger brakes. Just make sure that yours are optimum

Products Discussed in

To Top