Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Brakes

Old 03-18-2009, 05:39 PM   #1
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Brakes

OK...so i NEED new front shoes...

obviously i dont want cheapos...i want something decent...

but i also dont want to spend a small fortune...ive got guns and ammo to buy

Help me out...what do i need to look for or maybe some suggestions as to where/what to buy?
Old 03-18-2009, 05:44 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
go to raceshopper.com................talk to edwin. i got some hawk pads and some sp performance rotors. good price too really.

http://raceshopper.com/index.shtml
Old 03-18-2009, 05:46 PM   #3
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

hmm

well i dont need rotors...sooo...just hawk pads?
Old 03-18-2009, 05:49 PM   #4
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

any clue as to WHICH hawk pads i should get?
Old 03-18-2009, 06:03 PM   #5
UnderWater Monopoly Champion
TicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: F-15 Crew-Chief
Name: Anastatia Beaverhausen
TicTacOma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to TicTacOma
I'd go with the ones without feathers.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:26 PM   #6
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
any clue as to WHICH hawk pads i should get?
either the lts pads or the ceramics....and have your rotors turned.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:07 PM   #7
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

lets play a new game

say i need brake pads...but i dont want to spend $70 on Hawks

is there something suitable out there for less money?

Should i look for ceramic? any sort of warranty? materials?

Do my rotors HAVE to be turned or is this one of those "you should do it but its not going to be a big deal if you dont" things?
Old 03-18-2009, 07:11 PM   #8

Quote:
lets play a new game

say i need brake pads...but i dont want to spend $70 on Hawks

is there something suitable out there for less money?

Should i look for ceramic? any sort of warranty? materials?

Do my rotors HAVE to be turned or is this one of those "you should do it but its not going to be a big deal if you dont" things?
you can get some duralast ceramics from autozone...................pretty good pads....and warranty on them. the rotors really need to be turned..........you'll eat up the brake pads and they will start to wear crooked more than likely if you dont.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:13 PM   #9
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
you can get some duralast ceramics from autozone...................pretty good pads....and warranty on them. the rotors really need to be turned..........you'll eat up the brake pads and they will start to wear crooked more than likely if you dont.
gracias...this is exactly what i like to hear...sort of

where do i get my rotors turned at? im assuming you mean on a lathe rather than just spinning them a bit on the knuckle?
Old 03-18-2009, 07:13 PM   #10
JJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sgt (Advisor Instructor 0311)
Name: Jay
JJ Customs's Tacoma Gallery
Allied Bendix makes a good pad along with Raybestos so you should be able to get those at any good parts store. If you have over 50K on your rotors or if your steering wheel shakes a little while braking then get the rotors turned. This will keep the new brake pads from wearing or glazing over. You can normally get this done at any machine shop for about $30.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:14 PM   #11
JJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sgt (Advisor Instructor 0311)
Name: Jay
JJ Customs's Tacoma Gallery
Pretty much everything Will said!
Old 03-18-2009, 07:15 PM   #12

Quote:
gracias...this is exactly what i like to hear...sort of

where do i get my rotors turned at? im assuming you mean on a lathe rather than just spinning them a bit on the knuckle?
if you have a pepboys or oreillys close by...they can turn the rotors..............relatively cheap too.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by harris.jasonm View Post
Pretty much everything Will said!
Old 03-18-2009, 07:17 PM   #14
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harris.jasonm View Post
Allied Bendix makes a good pad along with Raybestos so you should be able to get those at any good parts store. If you have over 50K on your rotors or if your steering wheel shakes a little while braking then get the rotors turned. This will keep the new brake pads from wearing or glazing over. You can normally get this done at any machine shop for about $30.
also...gracias to you

i'd be more interested in the hawk pads but i dont want to order them...i want to go somewhere...buy brakes...come home...put them on

what if i have 102K on my rotors

j/k im pretty sure the brake place turned them last time i had brakes done
Old 03-18-2009, 07:17 PM   #15
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
if you have a pepboys or oreillys close by...they can turn the rotors..............relatively cheap too.
AHA!

i wonder if they want my truck washed before i bring it in
Old 03-18-2009, 07:18 PM   #16

Quote:
AHA!

i wonder if they want my truck washed before i bring it in
hmm....maybe just a small rinse job!!!
Old 03-18-2009, 07:18 PM   #17
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

now that we've got that settled...with the correct tools (which i have available) how hard is it to change brake pads?

am i going to have my truck apart for several hours or just maybe a couple?

would it be worth it to take it somewhere to have everything done?
Old 03-18-2009, 07:20 PM   #18

Quote:
now that we've got that settled...with the correct tools (which i have available) how hard is it to change brake pads?

am i going to have my truck apart for several hours or just maybe a couple?

would it be worth it to take it somewhere to have everything done?
easy as pie man. jack truck up...take tires off, remove clip and pins, take pads out, unbolt 2 bolts on back and remove rotor...................then reverse the process for the new pads.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:21 PM   #19
East Bound and Down
Dark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Dark Knight's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
OK...so i NEED new front shoes...

obviously i dont want cheapos...i want something decent...

but i also dont want to spend a small fortune...ive got guns and ammo to buy

Help me out...what do i need to look for or maybe some suggestions as to where/what to buy?
dude I just got mine done at the stalership today. all i gota say is I hate them. $200 bucks for just the front
Old 03-18-2009, 07:21 PM   #20
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I have always used OEM pads, and not turned the rotors....I havent hit anyone yet...