Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

5100/Eibach Install Questions

Old 12-25-2013, 10:07 AM   #1
teehext is a name known to allteehext is a name known to allteehext is a name known to allteehext is a name known to allteehext is a name known to allteehext is a name known to all

Name: Tyler
teehext's Tacoma Gallery
5100/Eibach Install Questions

I found a couple write-ups for 2nd gens but haven't had as much luck with the 1st gens...so on to the shamelessly noob-y questions.
I'm planning on having my local garage assemble the coilovers, but in the interest of having my truck out of commission for the shortest time possible I'm thinking of ordering new top plates so they will be ready to bolt right in. Anybody done this or have a link to just the top plate?

I got my 5100's in the mail and upon inspection, the c-clip appears to be sitting in the uppermost groove. Am I correct in assuming this is the groove for the most lift? I want them set at 0 because I will be running the Eibach coilovers from Toytec. What is the best method for repositioning the c-clips, or are they already in the correct groove for 0" lift?

Probably not last and definitely not least...I've seen plenty of opinions regarding the dust boots facing up or down. Any solid information as to which way is best? I'm leaning toward installing them boots-down as that is how the labels are oriented, and it seems the boots would do a better job of protecting the shock from rocks...

Sorry if any of these questions have already been beaten to death...I'm coming from VW torsion systems so I'm very mildly confused.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Edit: Merry Christmas and happy holidays!
Old 12-25-2013, 10:16 AM   #2
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Merry Christmas.

Yes the c-clip is in the 'most lift' position. They are easily moved by prying out of one groove with a small screwdriver and sliding down the barrel to the next.

I left the rear shock boot on the bottom.
Old 12-25-2013, 10:29 AM   #3
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
X2 the clips can be moved with a flat head screwdriver or something similar and yes you are at the 2.5" setting as it sits so move it all the way down.

Now for the boots what do you mean up or down?...just leave them the way they came.
Old 12-25-2013, 11:32 AM   #5
tacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoma guy's Tacoma Gallery
Talking

X2 the clip needs to be at the bottom grove. I was like you. I didn't want my truck down too long so I ordered my 5100s and OME springs preassembled from wheelers ready to install. they did an awesome job on preassembling them. They went rite in and had the alignment done and off I went.
Old 12-25-2013, 12:01 PM   #6
604YOTA is just really nice604YOTA is just really nice604YOTA is just really nice604YOTA is just really nice

Name: Disco Stu
604YOTA's Tacoma Gallery
Boots down water and mud will sit on the shocks if the other way around and could eventually cause premature failure.

As for the top plate you can order them from touted you just need to call them to order because they sent on the site.

As for the front shocks you need to move the c-clip down. As stated above.

Merry christmas to all!!!
Old 12-25-2013, 02:19 PM   #7
teehext is a name known to allteehext is a name known to allteehext is a name known to allteehext is a name known to allteehext is a name known to allteehext is a name known to all

teehext's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tan4x4 View Post
Merry Christmas.

Yes the c-clip is in the 'most lift' position. They are easily moved by prying out of one groove with a small screwdriver and sliding down the barrel to the next.

I left the rear shock boot on the bottom.
Easy enough, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeKay21 View Post
X2 the clips can be moved with a flat head screwdriver or something similar and yes you are at the 2.5" setting as it sits so move it all the way down.

Now for the boots what do you mean up or down?...just leave them the way they came.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stikle View Post
Boots down according to the paperwork that came with mine from Wheeler's.
Got it, I will leave them as is

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoma guy View Post
X2 the clip needs to be at the bottom grove. I was like you. I didn't want my truck down too long so I ordered my 5100s and OME springs preassembled from wheelers ready to install. they did an awesome job on preassembling them. They went rite in and had the alignment done and off I went.
Cool, I tried to save a little cash by ordering the shocks and springs separately, but looks like I'll be eating that price in assembly anyway haha. Oh well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 604YOTA View Post
Boots down water and mud will sit on the shocks if the other way around and could eventually cause premature failure.

As for the top plate you can order them from touted you just need to call them to order because they sent on the site.

As for the front shocks you need to move the c-clip down. As stated above.

Merry christmas to all!!!
I'll be giving Toytec a call later today to order the springs and top plates

Thanks for all the quick help guys!
Old 12-26-2013, 09:04 AM   #8
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
You could assemble the front springs yourself. The spring-compressor tool is available, for a free 'rental', from Autozone. Takes a little time, but you do need additional tools (wrenches, sockets, etc). I also had to use my vise to hold the shock in place while compressing.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:49 AM   #9
se7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

se7enine's Tacoma Gallery
I just used a jack under the LCA to assemble the front shocks, really easy to do and the UCA keeps the spring in place and it won't shoot out.
Old 12-26-2013, 03:21 PM   #10

teehext's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tan4x4 View Post
You could assemble the front springs yourself. The spring-compressor tool is available, for a free 'rental', from Autozone. Takes a little time, but you do need additional tools (wrenches, sockets, etc). I also had to use my vise to hold the shock in place while compressing.
Ordered the springs and top plates today, when they get here I think I'll go with the Autozone rental tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by se7enine View Post
I just used a jack under the LCA to assemble the front shocks, really easy to do and the UCA keeps the spring in place and it won't shoot out.
I'm having trouble picturing this in my head...you installed new shocks and springs this way?
Old 12-26-2013, 03:37 PM   #11
604YOTA is just really nice604YOTA is just really nice604YOTA is just really nice604YOTA is just really nice

Name: Disco Stu
604YOTA's Tacoma Gallery
Yes you screw the top plate into the mounting spot ,put the shock on to the bottom mount. Put the spring on the shock and use the weight of the truck to compress the shock and spring then you just put the nut on the top.
Old 12-26-2013, 04:13 PM   #12

teehext's Tacoma Gallery
Got it - thanks! I'll try that method, it would be nice to be able to do it all myself
Old 12-26-2013, 04:25 PM   #13
KingDavey is on a distinguished road

Name: Think about it...
KingDavey's Tacoma Gallery
Make sure you have a big jack and jack stands!!! little jacks and stands won't be any help if using truck weight to compress the springs.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:35 PM   #14

teehext's Tacoma Gallery
Will a 3-ton floor jack do the trick?
Old 12-27-2013, 08:44 AM   #15

tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Both methods have their risks. Be sure you understand what is going on before attempting. Search for a video of the 'using the trucks weight' method, first.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:43 AM   #16

teehext's Tacoma Gallery
Found a good video for anyone who's interested

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkVLBOnAifc

2nd gen but still shows the method well. Looks simple enough as long as you stay alert and use the proper safety precautions. I'll take some pictures of my 1st gen install when all the parts arrive
Old 12-27-2013, 10:06 AM   #17
jeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jesse
jeepdude's Tacoma Gallery
Ahhhh, nice. I've read about this a few times, but seeing it done connects all the dots for me...Thanks