1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hit a dip *real* hard, what should I check?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by FalloutMaster, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Dec 30, 2013 at 12:24 AM
    FalloutMaster

FalloutMaster [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner TRD SR5
    Grillcraft insert, partial debadge, Toyota tailgate decal, Fog light mod, Anzo headlights, '98 tail lights
    Hey all, I was driving in an unfamiliar neighborhood tonight and there were two dips in the road that I couldn't see until I was upon them and I hit em pretty hard goin 35-ish. I want to check my truck out tomorrow to make sure I didn't f*ck anything up, what should I look for? Aside from suspension, I don't know what else might have been under stress.

2. Dec 30, 2013 at 1:22 AM
    Hunter.V.White

Hunter.V.White Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hunter
    Fairbanks, AK
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC 4WD TRD-Off Road
    Pelfreybilt Steel Armor, Famous Fabrication Sliders, OME 3" Lift, 886x coils, Dakar Leaf Packs, TC UCA's, Fuel D551 Wheels, 285/70/R17 Toyo Tech RTs, Warn Zeon 10s Winch, Rigid Industries 20" E2 Flood, RI 20" SR Spot/flood, RI Duallys, SwitchPro SP8100, Uniden Bearcat 680 CB Radio.
    I suppose it is possible to knock the front wheels out of alignment if you hit REALLY hard and not straight on. Just another thing to check if you can do it without spending an exorbitant amount of money.

3. Dec 30, 2013 at 1:51 AM
    Loggerhead

Loggerhead Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seán
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2002 SR5 TRD 5spd 3.4 Xtra Cab
    Check and make sure that your bump stops are still intact and check to make sure that your battery is still secure.

I'm sure you're probably fine though. Everybody manages to miss something in the road from time to time :eek:

4. Dec 30, 2013 at 7:45 AM
    Mod

Mod Well-Known Member

Member:
    CR, WA
    Vehicle:
    1999 8 port 3RZ 4WD SR5
    stock
    Your fine,,it's a Toyota.:D

A really hard suspension shock can bend wheels or toss a clip on style wheel weight, But if you didn't SCORE truck gap jump,,you should be fine.

Listen as you drive, CAREFULLY shake the wheel back and fourth at speed,,make sure it's all tight. No bulges on the sidewalls. A REALLY hard shock can also break sidewall plys,,but very rare.

5. Dec 30, 2013 at 11:49 AM
    FalloutMaster

FalloutMaster [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner TRD SR5
    Grillcraft insert, partial debadge, Toyota tailgate decal, Fog light mod, Anzo headlights, '98 tail lights
    Thanks for the help guys. I didn't figure anything was broken, but I just like to be sure. My truck is like a member of the family after all :D

6. Dec 30, 2013 at 7:50 PM
    tacomataco2

tacomataco2 A dude

Member:
    Mass
    Vehicle:
    15’ ACLB
    Some of this Some of that
    I usually speed up for dips :). You should be fine! Keep your ears open for any strange noises

7. Dec 30, 2013 at 8:00 PM
    wrat

wrat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma Xcab 4x4 TRD
    Other than a bent rim or messed up alignment, you should be alright unless if there was already a highly worn part under there that gave way.

For example, traffic was really bad on a four lane road (two lanes going each way) that I needed to pull straight across. When I saw a gap I hammered the throttle to jump across the traffic. Unbeknownst to me I did not realize that there was a cement curb running the full length separating the traffic. I hit that curb straight on and it created a VERY rough ride across it; I was probably doing 25MPH when I hit it. The truck drove fine but I figured that I should get the alignment checked a few days later since I had free lifetime alignments. Everything was fine and still in spec.

8. Dec 30, 2013 at 8:05 PM
    koditten

koditten Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Central Michigan
    Vehicle:
    04 trd x-cab 4 x 4 3.4l
    Reserected from the dead.
    Don't forget to check for blown shocks and structs. Look for fresh oil around the shock/struts.

9. Dec 30, 2013 at 8:13 PM
    robssol

robssol If it ain't broke, leave it the eff alone!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    S. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma, TRD Sport, SR5, 4X4, AC
    Frame 2.0, Fog lights anytime, Seatbelt reminder delete, Secondary air filter delete, LED bed lights, Running boards, 2017 Rims, Devil Horns by Andres, Ultra gauge, Cup holder/consol/glove compartment lights, Interior LED conversion, Blue Sea aux. fuse panel, fuse panel mounting plate by Yotamac, ProEFX heated towing mirrors, LED engine bay lights, Redline Quicklift Elite hood struts, Wet Okole Heated Seat Covers, Pop and Lock tailgate theft deterrent mod 2.0, Plasti-dip rear bumper. Decal free visors, Washable cabin air filter, Overhead consol auto dimming override switch, BulletProof Fabricating Skid plate, 2lo module.
    Look for missing rust:eek: :D:rofl:

10. Dec 30, 2013 at 10:25 PM
    Loggerhead

Loggerhead Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seán
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2002 SR5 TRD 5spd 3.4 Xtra Cab
    Good thinking! Tacoma's are pretty stout but if something let go it would've been a part that was worn like a shock or tie rod end.

Have you noticed any new noises or vibrations? If not then you're probably fine ;)

11. Dec 30, 2013 at 11:54 PM
    jamco20

jamco20 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Socal
    Bilstein 5100's up front
    I was off roading with my buddies, and we were doing donuts in the dirt (I know, I know stupid teenager) and I started going straight then BOOM I hit a dip so hard the seat belts locked and well...i was sore the next day from the seat belt. The truck was fine though and has been ever since, I just don't offroad like that anymore. So I think you'll be fine, I am much more careful now by the way :rolleyes:

Products Discussed in

To Top