Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Mild Off Roading Mod Suggestions

Old 03-19-2009, 01:11 PM   #1
speedyangie has a spectacular aura aboutspeedyangie has a spectacular aura about

speedyangie's Tacoma Gallery
Mild Off Roading Mod Suggestions

Hi guys,

I'm totally new to this whole modifying of trucks thing and I would really appreciate some advice.

I have a stock 2002 Prerunner and I'm looking to do some mild off-roading. I took my truck out on the trail this past weekend and I definitely need more ground clearance and better suspension.

Any suggestions for lifting and suspension, etc. would be great. I can do all the work myself and can do any fabrication, welding, etc. if need be to get something really cool. Oh and I'm on a slight budget too.

Thanks!

Angie the Speedy Newbie.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:16 PM   #2
Panda Jerk
THXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
THXEY's Tacoma Gallery
first off welcome to TW (from san diego) angie!

Glad to have you
Old 03-19-2009, 01:21 PM   #3
INAKOMA08
InaKoma08 will become famous soon enoughInaKoma08 will become famous soon enough

InaKoma08's Tacoma Gallery
I'm selling a 3" kit that includes front spacers and AAL in the rear. There is much better kits out there someone is bound to infuluence you towards and if you have enough $ I'd go that route... Such as coilovers and or better shocks.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:27 PM   #4
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW! Got any pics of your welding/fabrication projects?

Did you get stuck or just banged up the underside of your truck while offroad? You doing fast stuff, soft sand, rock crawling, logging trails, or something else? How your truck gets used helps determine the best upgrade route. Sometimes it's a good idea to install some quality skidplates first and get to the suspension upgrades later.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:31 PM   #6
speedyangie has a spectacular aura aboutspeedyangie has a spectacular aura about

Smile

Thanks for the welcome guys, I can't wait to do some work on the Tacoma.

Let's see...I ride dirt bikes and thought it might be fun to take my truck out for a spin. Nothing really high speed, but it is quite bumpy. Kinda desert trails stuff. A little bit of climbing, not too many rocks.

Put the truck on the hoist at the shop and everything underneath seems intact. Wasn't going that fast and didn't encounter any big rocks, but I noticed the front had no clearance at all in some whoops.

Will post some pictures of welding.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:33 PM   #7
Panda Jerk
THXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
THXEY's Tacoma Gallery
where in socal are you
Old 03-19-2009, 01:34 PM   #8
Seniore Marcos
Snyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant future
Snyperx's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Snyperx Send a message via Yahoo to Snyperx Send a message via Skype™ to Snyperx
Welcome to TW Angie!! Another female, this is cool....I think we are up to 5 now J/K. If you are going to be doing mild offroading I would not look at a spacer lift. I would look at doing maybe a Toytec coilover or if budget permits get a set of Sway-Sway coilovers. For the rear I would do a minimum of a Add-A-Leaf and at best go with new leaf packs by Deaver or Alcan. What kind of budget do you have to work with? If you can give an amount I think people will be able to give you some good suggestions.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:37 PM   #9
INAKOMA08
InaKoma08 will become famous soon enoughInaKoma08 will become famous soon enough

Ta Da!
Old 03-19-2009, 01:41 PM   #10

Right, I wasn't all about the spacer lift either but it seems that whenever I go to a 4-wheel place they always want to sell me that.

Not sure about the budget. It's open as of right now. I wouldn't mind doing something step-by-step. Buying a few things now and adding on.

I'm looking into putting a turbo into the truck. Just as a project, but anyway...let's work on the suspension thing first.

Oh...the AAL thing...would the ride be really stiff?
Old 03-19-2009, 01:44 PM   #11
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Whooped-out desert stuff? Nice!!

Being a pre-runner is a good thing in this case. Cheaper and easier to make the 2wd rigs more capable in the desert, and less weight generally equates to less breakage. Since you ride dirt bikes you've got a familiarity with the terrain so that'll also help keep things in one piece.

Upgraded front coil-over shocks, preferably with remote reservoirs, would be a good start. Your budget will obviously dictate what you ultimately get.

If ground clearance was/is an issue then the lift will help in the front but won't do anything in the rear. For that you'll need taller tires. My guess is that you were scraping bottom when the suspension was maxed out so you should be able to hold off on tires for now.

Some folks with gen 1 trucks will no doubt speak up soon. I've only dealt with the 05+ trucks but the concepts are the same.

Post some truck pics while you're uploading those welding shots. I'd like to see where you scraped stuff up.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:46 PM   #12

Old 03-19-2009, 01:46 PM   #13

Old 03-19-2009, 01:48 PM   #14
Seniore Marcos
Snyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant future
Snyperx's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Snyperx Send a message via Yahoo to Snyperx Send a message via Skype™ to Snyperx
Are you single?

P.S. I know my profile says I'm married, but that's just to keep the ladies off J/K

If you have an open budget then go coilovers if you can for sure. If this is mostly going to be a trial truck then getting full replacement leaf packs will get you much added ride quality and articulation on the trails. If you use the truck as a DD then have a look at my signature for what I did with my truck.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:50 PM   #15

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyperx View Post
Are you single?
LOL! I was thinking the same thing when I saw those shots.

She could do all the work I've been paying for up to this point.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:52 PM   #16

I'll have to work on getting some pictures of the truck from underneath for ya.

I race 1/4-mile sport compact drag. Takin' a break from that to work on my truck...except I need ideas, which is why I'm here. Keep 'em coming guys!

Oh...PandaJerk, locationwise...I'm in LA.

Oh yes, one more question...what differences are there with regard to the shocks on my 2002 Prerunner and the newer ones? Length, perch? Would I be able to adapt suspension that is made for a newer Prerunner onto mine? Seems like there are a lot of parts available for the 2nd gens?
Old 03-19-2009, 01:53 PM   #17
INAKOMA08

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyangie View Post
Right, I wasn't all about the spacer lift either but it seems that whenever I go to a 4-wheel place they always want to sell me that.

Not sure about the budget. It's open as of right now. I wouldn't mind doing something step-by-step. Buying a few things now and adding on.

I'm looking into putting a turbo into the truck. Just as a project, but anyway...let's work on the suspension thing first.

Oh...the AAL thing...would the ride be really stiff?

You will barelly notice a difference in the ride with AAL. Now as soon as you put a block in the rear that makes it real stiff Not so much in the ride but over the slightest little bump
Old 03-19-2009, 01:58 PM   #18

Sorry guys, taken.

I guess this is kinda my daily driver, so something not too rough.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:59 PM   #19

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyangie View Post
I'll have to work on getting some pictures of the truck from underneath for ya.

I race 1/4-mile sport compact drag. Takin' a break from that to work on my truck...except I need ideas, which is why I'm here. Keep 'em coming guys!

Oh...PandaJerk, locationwise...I'm in LA.

Oh yes, one more question...what differences are there with regard to the shocks on my 2002 Prerunner and the newer ones? Length, perch? Would I be able to adapt suspension that is made for a newer Prerunner onto mine? Seems like there are a lot of parts available for the 2nd gens?
There are quite a few options for your truck if you know where to look. No need to try to retro-fit parts as the Tacomas have had a substantial following for years.

Camburg has options from mild to full race:
http://www.camburg.com/tacomaP.html

Total Chaos has a long-travel kit if you're looking for other options:
http://www.chaosfab.com/98000.html

All Pro has a lot of options. I'd recommend their Fox setup:
http://www.allprooffroad.com/tech-in...s-mainmenu-223

And there are others...
Old 03-19-2009, 02:01 PM   #20

So...do we like this... http://toyteclifts.com/index.php?pag...mart&Itemid=53 ?

Also, I like shackles better maybe? Haha.