1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Worst ABS System

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by mountainbiker42, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Jan 1, 2014 at 11:32 PM
    mountainbiker42

mountainbiker42 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma 2.7 5 speed 4x4
    I have an 04 base xtra-cab 4x4 tacoma with ABS. I could not be more pissed off about it's performance in snowy conditions. I've read about people being able to run a switch on the ABS module and tricking the system into thinking the locker is on which sounds great. I do not have a locker on my truck, are the correct wires still present and am I able to still do this mod?

I don't know what the deal is with the ABS system but holy crap it's scary, the harder you push the pedal the longer you coast. Something's not right. Until I figure out how to disable the system I just turn the truck off in snowy panic situations to turn off the abs.

Thanks for the help!

2. Jan 2, 2014 at 12:13 AM
    604YOTA

604YOTA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Disco Stu
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD SR5
    Grey wire mod, eibach, 5100's & 5125's, ome Dakar leafs, 1.25 rear shackle, Gibson exhaust, ram air intake, throttle body spacer, boot slide mod, poly bushing kit, extended brake lines.
    The gray wire mod is what tou are talking about.. I think all the wiring should be there.. its on the drivers side kick panel. Might need to wire in a toggle switch.. of some find..

Not sure if it will work without a locker...

Maybe someone else can bring some more light to the question at hand.

3. Jan 2, 2014 at 12:34 AM
    shawnphoto

shawnphoto Well-Known Member

Member:
    MT
    Vehicle:
    First Gen Tundra
    First Gen Tundra Linked and Long Travel
    search in the long travel section, this has been discussed multiple times. oftentimes people will pull the abs fuse, or run a switch. but yeah.. abs is bad.

4. Jan 2, 2014 at 8:36 AM
    mountainbiker42

mountainbiker42 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma 2.7 5 speed 4x4
    If I do the gray wire mod I'll have to figure out where the wires are for the locker or if they even exist. I do not have a locker so the switch is not there, I'll have to look and see if the wires are still under the dash for the switch. It's either the gray wire or the some people tap into a wire on the ABS module on 2nd gen tacomas to turn off ABS and traction control system. Again, anyone have ideas on this as well? I'm in the dark about both ideas working on this truck.

Thanks guys

Products Discussed in

To Top