1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Digital Thermometer DIY - Gen. 1

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by MoreMonkey, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Jan 8, 2014 at 3:15 PM
    TACO in SC

TACO in SC TuRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Greenwood, SC
    Vehicle:
    '03 Tacoma Ex Cab 4x4 V6 5-Speed
    Pretty well stock
    But it is much larger that the existing opening of ~ 25mm x 43mm

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Jan 8, 2014 at 3:32 PM
    bldegle2

bldegle2 OldPhart

Member:
    San Francisco, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prerunner TRD AccessCab
    New Navigation DVD/CD/TV/AV/Bluetooth Stereo and seat mod spacers, 1" hubcentric spacers, seat heaters....
    small amount of dremel work will solve that problem, it is fairly close to the one the OP has, and it registers negative to 56*, not just to 0*...

I have been thinking about this since before Xmas but the kits at Amazon where I was looking are a bit more expensive, think I am going to pull the trigger and see how 'this one' works http://www.ebay.com/itm/121041994409?afsrc=1

nice to know if black ice is possible...

3. Jan 8, 2014 at 3:37 PM
    TACO in SC

TACO in SC TuRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Greenwood, SC
    Vehicle:
    Pretty well stock
    I'm in for one of these. Which length of probe will you get? 1 meter might not be long enough, 3 meters will be much too long.

4. Jan 8, 2014 at 3:51 PM
    bldegle2

bldegle2 OldPhart

Member:
    San Francisco, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prerunner TRD AccessCab
    New Navigation DVD/CD/TV/AV/Bluetooth Stereo and seat mod spacers, 1" hubcentric spacers, seat heaters....
    get the three meter one, any extra wire can be hidden easily behind console, do not cut, just loop it and zip tie to something, you could even do it somewhere in the engine bay, not the probe, the extra wire...I plan on putting the probe somewhere around the grill, won't know until I get it and start playing with it...

it will give a phooey temp reading when stopped and the radiator is up to temp, but when moving, should be good to go...I am also wondering if 'wind chill' will be a factor with the probe readings, time will tell....

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  5. Jan 8, 2014 at 3:52 PM
    MoreMonkey

MoreMonkey [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    red, stock, TRD
    Bilstein 5100
    I'd go with the 3 meter. There's no straight line to the grille where the sensor ought to be located.

This evening I drove home and the thermometer read 16 degrees. But when I left the truck running in the driveway while I unloaded some stuff the temp went up to 40 degrees just from the engine heat coming back to where I located the sensor. That thing is very sensitive.

I've become obsessed with outside temps this week. Not just because they have been obscenely low.

6. Jan 8, 2014 at 4:57 PM
    TACO in SC

TACO in SC TuRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Greenwood, SC
    Vehicle:
    Pretty well stock
    Ordered the one with the 3 meter probe length. Will probably take a month to get it, but looking forward to having it.

7. Jan 8, 2014 at 6:04 PM
    stikle

stikle Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    The Sovereign State of Eastern Oregon
    Vehicle:
    1997 LX Xtracab 4x4 V6 3.4L
    Eh, see my Build Thread sig link. Too many mods to list.
    It depends on what opening you are referring to. In mine, I have no openings left, so the only option really will be to mount it in the junk pocket below the stereo, drill a hole in the back of the pocket, and route stuff out that way. Just not sure I care enough at this point to spend the time and money.

8. Jan 21, 2014 at 6:06 PM
    TACO in SC

TACO in SC TuRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Greenwood, SC
    Vehicle:
    Pretty well stock
    Received mine today, almost 2 weeks after ordering. Not too bad.
    Would love to have it installed now, it is supposed to be cold the next few days.
    Will try to install it this weekend.

9. Jan 22, 2014 at 6:41 PM
    skeezix

skeezix Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    1998 Limited
    The power lead pins on my unit are marked "N" and "L". :confused:

"N" and "L" mean nothing to me. Did you connect the battery to "N" or to "L"??

10. Jan 23, 2014 at 5:48 PM
    blake9220

blake9220 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    01 TRD PreRunner DblCab
    I believe "N" is neutral and "L" is live

11. Jan 25, 2014 at 3:01 PM
    skeezix

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    1998 Limited
    I think I connected the + to "L" and the - to "N" but I can't really remember.

The seller emailed me a reply to my inquiry and stated that it doesn't matter where the positive is connected. "N" or "L", both will work.

12. Jan 25, 2014 at 5:37 PM
    TACO in SC

TACO in SC TuRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Greenwood, SC
    Vehicle:
    Pretty well stock
    Installed mine today. It works good but gains a few degrees when the truck is sitting still. I will need to reposition the sensor, perhaps just above the lower pan below the bumper.
    I do wish the text was smaller and more orange, less red. But mounted beside the power ports it is easy to see.

13. Jan 26, 2014 at 7:25 PM
    skeezix

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    1998 Limited
    Yes, it's bright.

I routed my (9-foot-long) sensor thru the rubber plug in the firewall above the gas pedal, left to the inner fender well, forward and around the front of the battery, through a predrilled hole in the radiator mounting panel, and to the front of the center radiator panel support.

14. Jan 26, 2014 at 7:30 PM
    Norton

Norton Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Access Cab 4x4 V6 6MT, TRD OR & Tow Packages
    Magnuson S/C w/12TRDTacoma's Qwikchange Hub & 2.5" RIP-Modded Pulley, Roostfactor's Pulley Wrap Mod; FPR Mod; JustDSM Tune via HPT MPVI2; mightytacoman Intercooler Tank; aFe POWER Magnum FLOW Pro DRY S Air Filter; OME Suspension Lift (885 Coils, Dakar Leafs, NitroCharger Sports); TRD Quickshifter w/TRD 6-Spd Knob; TRD Exhaust; NSB-AGM27F Battery w/HKB Adjustable Voltage Booster & Coupe's TRD Battery Hold Down; Goodridge SS Brake Lines; Trident904's MT ADM; BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2s on FJ SE Anthracite Rims; N-Fab 6-Step Nerf Bars; BPF TRD Skid, Tow Hook, & Cooling Panel; jsi's Locker Anytime, Up2NoGood's 2Lo Module; ramonortiz55's Always on Power Outlet Relay, ND4's Fog Light Anytime, & Crom's Speed Bleeder Mods; crashnburn80's Ultimate Headlight & Fog Light Upgrades; ThreatLevelMidnight's Wireless Charger; 4Runner 4X4 & FJ Fog Light Switches; redtaco2007-inspired LED License Plate Lights; AudioControl LC2i LOC, JL Audio XD200/2v2 Amp, Focal PS165V1 Spkrs, Sound Ordnance B-8PTD Sub, Hushmat & Noico Sound Insulation; loginfailed-inspired Speedhut Boost & AFR Gauges in a Lotek Pillar Pod; Ltd Auto-Dim/Compass/Temp/Backup Camera/Homelink mirror on ImMrYo's Mirror Lift Bracket; TacomaBeast Glove Box & Console Organizers; Husky Floor Liners; UltraGauge EM; mesojdm's Ultimate LED Dome & Map Lights & GASSHOLE; Redline Tuning QuickLIFT Elite; Mobtown Offroad Locking Bed Storage Doors; Toyota Bed Mat; Cali Raised Led Bed Stiffeners; Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock w/TacomaTruckParts Support Bracket; ARE Z-Series Cap, SolarGard Tint; BlendMounted & MirrorTapped Uniden R3; CravenSpeed Stubby Antenna; Amsoil Lubricants; Adam's Detailing Supplies
    Exactly which thermometers did you guys order and did you have to expand the existing holes to install the displays? (I tried one the other day, but it was too big for the existing opening.)

15. Jan 27, 2014 at 7:44 PM
    skeezix

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    1998 Limited
  16. Jan 27, 2014 at 8:20 PM
    Norton

Norton Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Access Cab 4x4 V6 6MT, TRD OR & Tow Packages
    Magnuson S/C w/12TRDTacoma's Qwikchange Hub & 2.5" RIP-Modded Pulley, Roostfactor's Pulley Wrap Mod; FPR Mod; JustDSM Tune via HPT MPVI2; mightytacoman Intercooler Tank; aFe POWER Magnum FLOW Pro DRY S Air Filter; OME Suspension Lift (885 Coils, Dakar Leafs, NitroCharger Sports); TRD Quickshifter w/TRD 6-Spd Knob; TRD Exhaust; NSB-AGM27F Battery w/HKB Adjustable Voltage Booster & Coupe's TRD Battery Hold Down; Goodridge SS Brake Lines; Trident904's MT ADM; BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2s on FJ SE Anthracite Rims; N-Fab 6-Step Nerf Bars; BPF TRD Skid, Tow Hook, & Cooling Panel; jsi's Locker Anytime, Up2NoGood's 2Lo Module; ramonortiz55's Always on Power Outlet Relay, ND4's Fog Light Anytime, & Crom's Speed Bleeder Mods; crashnburn80's Ultimate Headlight & Fog Light Upgrades; ThreatLevelMidnight's Wireless Charger; 4Runner 4X4 & FJ Fog Light Switches; redtaco2007-inspired LED License Plate Lights; AudioControl LC2i LOC, JL Audio XD200/2v2 Amp, Focal PS165V1 Spkrs, Sound Ordnance B-8PTD Sub, Hushmat & Noico Sound Insulation; loginfailed-inspired Speedhut Boost & AFR Gauges in a Lotek Pillar Pod; Ltd Auto-Dim/Compass/Temp/Backup Camera/Homelink mirror on ImMrYo's Mirror Lift Bracket; TacomaBeast Glove Box & Console Organizers; Husky Floor Liners; UltraGauge EM; mesojdm's Ultimate LED Dome & Map Lights & GASSHOLE; Redline Tuning QuickLIFT Elite; Mobtown Offroad Locking Bed Storage Doors; Toyota Bed Mat; Cali Raised Led Bed Stiffeners; Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock w/TacomaTruckParts Support Bracket; ARE Z-Series Cap, SolarGard Tint; BlendMounted & MirrorTapped Uniden R3; CravenSpeed Stubby Antenna; Amsoil Lubricants; Adam's Detailing Supplies
  17. Jan 28, 2014 at 5:06 AM
    TACO in SC

TACO in SC TuRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Greenwood, SC
    Vehicle:
    Pretty well stock
    I had to cut the opening larger to accomodate the larger size. Used a pheumatic die grinder with a cutting wheel on it.

Drove to work this morning with the temp right at 33 degrees. Relocated the sensor to the lower portion below the bumper and see little difference when idling vs driving.

I find that with the tenth readout it is constantly updating the temp.

18. Jan 28, 2014 at 7:34 PM
    skeezix

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    1998 Limited
    Writing from my own experience, there is no need to remove the guts from the case. You'll need a pretty thin mounting surface though. The case has a teeny tiny "ear" very near the front on each end (albeit a bit small). What you do is push the unit and its wires into the mounting hole from the front. If the mounting panel is too thick you won't be able to engage the ears and the thing will fall out.

What do you want for $15...

19. Feb 3, 2014 at 5:45 PM
    Miata Tech

Miata Tech Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Lawrence, KS
    Vehicle:
    2002 4X4 SR-5 TRD
    ChaseCam Video System, Optima YellowTop, ScanGauge II, Heated Drivers Seat, Sirius Satellite Radio, K&N Drop In, E-Locker Guard, Extang Black Max Tonneau , Streamlight Stinger, All Synthetic Fluids, USA-Spec iPhone Interface, Gentex Auto Dimming Compass/Temp Mirror
    Perhaps a little more expensive than what you guys are talking about. But, It looks factory and is auto-dimming to boot!

12297386933_66909017f2_h.jpg

20. Feb 3, 2014 at 9:34 PM
    Pakrat

Pakrat Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Washington,State Columbia gorge
    Vehicle:
    02 tacoma xtracab 4x4 stock
    Front dome light added,light reminder added,door chime mod, added 2nd gen 4runner headrests,grey wire mod, 2lo mod, more later.
    More monkey did you trim any of the lower console to make the thermometer fit? Or all trimming was done on the thermometer. That way the blank can be put back in the future. I'm not sure what those blanks are for,looked in owners manual and didn't see them.

Products Discussed in

To Top