1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

K&N Intake Filter Being A PITA To Put Back On

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by dopesoner930, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Jan 4, 2014 at 1:16 PM
    dopesoner930

dopesoner930 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Last night me and a buddy decided to do some work on my truck due to some recent issues with power loss. One of the things we decided to do was clean the maf sensor and pull the air intake filter off to clean as well. Getting it off in itself was extremely difficult and took the strength of me and my buddy wrenching it off. Getting it back on is seeming impossible. My truck is a 2001 Tacoma with nearly 200,000 miles on it. I just purchased it a few months ago and it looks like the previous owner never cleaned it so the plastic\rubber on the end of the filter is extremely stiff and will not flex at all. We tried putting a little lube and that didnt work. My next idea is to boil some water and set the end of the filter in it hoping it will get rid of some dirt and allow the rubber to soften. What do you guys think? anyone else deal with this before or and other ideas?

2. Jan 4, 2014 at 3:00 PM
    ARB1977

ARB1977 It’s a beaut Clark

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB Prerunner 4.0L Blue Ribbon Metallic
    Black TRD Fj Cruiser wheels, TRD catback exhaust.
    It's telling you it doesn't want to go back on the truck. Those filters are crap. Clean one and hold it to the light, that will show you how thin the filter is and letting fine particals through. Either stick with paper or AFE pro dry filters.

3. Jan 7, 2014 at 3:58 PM
    dopesoner930

dopesoner930 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    To anyone who may have this happen to them the boiling water worked. I just boiled some water through it in a pan dipped the rubber of the intake filter in the hot water for about 15 seconds or so and it was able to pop right back on :)

Products Discussed in

To Top