Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

"New" to me 1st Gen. What lift is this?

Old 01-05-2014, 11:45 AM   #1
fyremanpat has much to be proud offyremanpat has much to be proud offyremanpat has much to be proud offyremanpat has much to be proud offyremanpat has much to be proud offyremanpat has much to be proud offyremanpat has much to be proud offyremanpat has much to be proud of

Firefighter: CFD
Name: Pat
fyremanpat's Tacoma Gallery
"New" to me 1st Gen. What lift is this?

I got this truck a month ago and have been rebuilding it. What lift is this?Also I need new shocks and whats a decent replacement? Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
"New" to me 1st Gen. What lift is this?-20140105_134021.jpg  
Old 01-05-2014, 11:51 AM   #2
Independant Thinker
Lumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Lumpskie's Tacoma Gallery
^Wow. I've never seen that lift before. I do see a giant spacer on what might be a replaced/relocated shock/coil basket... and another shock where the spindle is? Where is the UCA?
Is there a bracket in between the LCA bumpstop and its normal point of impact? None of this looks familiar to me.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:52 AM   #3
Yeti Hunter
Bennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Bennett707's Tacoma Gallery
looks like a big ugly spacer.

also where is the uca? lol
Old 01-05-2014, 11:59 AM   #5
fyremanpat has much to be proud offyremanpat has much to be proud offyremanpat has much to be proud offyremanpat has much to be proud offyremanpat has much to be proud offyremanpat has much to be proud offyremanpat has much to be proud offyremanpat has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpskie View Post
^Wow. I've never seen that lift before. I do see a giant spacer on what might be a replaced/relocated shock/coil basket... and another shock where the spindle is? Where is the UCA?
Is there a bracket in between the LCA bumpstop and its normal point of impact? None of this looks familiar to me.

it appears the be a shock extension on the spindle..the shock slides through the spindle. the shocks that are on it now are inserts.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:03 PM   #6
Independant Thinker
Lumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

So, you're using that instead of an upper control arm? Is this some sort of drop bracket lift? The whole system looks like a dramatic departure from Toyotas front suspension. You probably already know this but typically you have an upper control arm attached by a ball joint to the top of your spindle. This point cannot move vertically, it can only pivot so it maintains the orientation of your hub.

Without the UCA, I'd be worried about issues when the truck isn't on flat ground.

See what a typical lift does under full compression?

I'm trying to picture how the lift you have pictured maintains alignment and resist outward forces without having pivoting points on the frame, like the UCA does...
Old 01-05-2014, 12:12 PM   #9

it appears to be an old trail master lift thats discontinued...i wonder why? haha
Old 01-05-2014, 12:16 PM   #11
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
I would replace you lift stat it looks kinda sketchy
Old 01-05-2014, 12:16 PM   #12
Independant Thinker

That makes sense... I'd be worried about putting stress on that "Spindle Shock". So, if I were in your situation, I'd really consider just taking that lift out and replacing with a standard type of lift. But, here's the question... what else is involved with this Trail Master lift? You might be in for quite a bit of work if there are a lot of welded on crossmembers and such, that need to be removed... Do you have more pics?
Old 01-05-2014, 12:17 PM   #13

not an option. dont have 2300 bucks laying around....its made it this long with no problems
Old 01-05-2014, 12:19 PM   #14
Independant Thinker

^You don't need $2300 to replace that. You can get it done for less than a grand, as long as you don't have a bunch of welded on drop bracket crap to deal with. So far, that spindle shock bucket is bolted on where your stock UCA should be...
Old 01-05-2014, 12:23 PM   #16
Independant Thinker

For now, you could snag these:

http://toyteclifts.3dcartstores.com/...s-_p_1080.html

And add a spacer to the top of them to get a little more height.

Then, buy some stock UCAs from someone on here and get new upper ball joints put in. the UCAs should cost you less than $50.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:24 PM   #17

gotta find uca's and other mounting components, cut old welds, and weld in new 6in lift and fix whatever else is dicked up. After its all said and done at will be over 2 grand...including the lift
Old 01-05-2014, 12:25 PM   #18
Independant Thinker

I see. Well, if it were me I'd be careful with it. The coil spring isn't flat in there as it is, and that spindle shock setup just seems dangerous to me if you try to wheel it.

So... which shock is bad? The standard shock or that spindle shock?
Old 01-05-2014, 12:27 PM   #19
Independant Thinker

What's the rest of your lift look like? I bet you could get a standard coil/spring combo, with a UCA to work with it...

I also think you could do it for around $500, if you're smart about it...