Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

CS144 Alternator Swap into 3rz

Old 01-07-2014, 02:35 PM   #1
wolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud of

Name: Skyler
wolfgang123's Tacoma Gallery
CS144 Alternator Swap into 3rz

So my alternator is beginning to go out on me, charges fine while driving until i put any kind of electrical load on it it beings to loose voltage and the truck starts to struggle.

I have read about the GM CS144 swap in the 3.4l and i was wondering if anyone had information on a 3rz swap. Below is really the only helpful link i found, looking to see if anyone has more information before i begin this project.

http://www.customtacos.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=112540
Old 01-07-2014, 03:13 PM   #2
presto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Topher
presto's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang123 View Post
So my alternator is beginning to go out on me, charges fine while driving until i put any kind of electrical load on it it beings to loose voltage and the truck starts to struggle.

I have read about the GM CS144 swap in the 3.4l and i was wondering if anyone had information on a 3rz swap. Below is really the only helpful link i found, looking to see if anyone has more information before i begin this project.

http://www.customtacos.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=112540
i tried to do research on the same thing and came up with a bunch of stuff for the v6's and nothing for the 2.7's... when i roll my windows up while idling my truck starts to vibrate little. when i keep holding the switch even after the window is up is when the vibration gets more intense.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:56 PM   #3
wolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud of

Name: Skyler
wolfgang123's Tacoma Gallery
So i have discovered the GM alternator has a 6 rib pulley and Toyota only has 4. Can i get a belt that works with both? can the Toyota pulley fit on the GM alternator? (Some one with a 3.4l that has done the swap?)

Also figure i would do the big three upgrade at the same time

I will add a 120amp fuse

------

Also while reading about a 3.4l swap i see only 2 wires (actually wires no listed) we used???

EDIT: from custom tacos

"The larger wire, closest to the BAT+ stud is the sense wire, it tells the voltage regulator what the voltage in the system is. Just solder on an eye connector and route back to the BAT+ stud.

The other wire is the excite wire (what turns the alternator on). This is the 3rd wire in the harness (from the stud) and needs to have a 100 ohm 1/4 watt resistor put in it. This is because GM routed this wire through the charge light which put a fair amount of resistance on it. If you don't put this resistor in you will burn out the voltage regulator in short order."
Old 09-05-2014, 09:45 AM   #4
AK SnowroxKT
SnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
SnowroxKT's Tacoma Gallery
Did you guys go thru with this? I am looking at upgrading mine for a winch, did this work?
Old 09-05-2014, 10:23 AM   #5
presto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Topher
presto's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowroxKT View Post
Did you guys go thru with this? I am looking at upgrading mine for a winch, did this work?
I posted my post before i found Bamatoy's electrical system upgrade.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/mar...m-upgrade.html

Stage 2 kit = upgraded alternator. He has a few different options i believe. 140 amps, 200 amps, 240 amps. Stock alternator puts out 70 amps i think?
Old 09-05-2014, 10:26 AM   #6
AK SnowroxKT
SnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by presto View Post
I posted my post before i found Bamatoy's electrical system upgrade.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/mar...m-upgrade.html

Stage 2 kit = upgraded alternator. He has a few different options i believe. 140 amps, 200 amps, 240 amps. Stock alternator puts out 70 amps i think?
For the 3rz I think it is only 60 amps! Sounds good.
Old 09-05-2014, 12:34 PM   #7
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowroxKT View Post
For the 3rz I think it is only 60 amps! Sounds good.
I've read that the 3RZ alternators put out 70 amps for 95-99 models. Then it jumped to 80 amps for 2000 models
Old 09-05-2014, 12:57 PM   #8
AK SnowroxKT

Interesting because all that Napa shows for the 95 is 60 amps. Maybe that differs from factory though.