1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Coolant smell + no leak = confused me. Help please

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Capt Pie, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Jan 8, 2014 at 2:01 PM
    Capt Pie

Capt Pie [OP] Active Member

Member:
    sacramento
    Vehicle:
    sr5 V6 4WD
    Hey hey,

So I noticed a few days ago that I could smell coolant after the truck got to temp. At a stop light one morning a was able to see a bit of "smoke" coming from the hood, but haven't seen it since. The temp gauge doesn't show it is over-heating, and i have the proper amount of coolant. I don't see any leaks, and the truck runs fine other than that. When stopped, I can smell it through the vents when the heat is on, but once I get going, no smell.

Any ideas where to start?

2. Jan 8, 2014 at 2:07 PM
    HondaGM

HondaGM CallSign Monke

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2023 access cab V6
    pressure test it

3. Jan 8, 2014 at 2:55 PM
    lipster

lipster Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern MN
    Vehicle:
    2004 ext cab 3.4 auto TRD
    License plate frame
    what engine, what year, and how many miles?
    If you can smell it, it is leaking somewhere.
    Water pump can lead very slowly for many miles, as can radiator.
    It will get worse, and I would pressure test as suggested. Keep an eye on it, and I would NOT use any type of stop leak.

4. Jan 8, 2014 at 3:21 PM
    se7enine

se7enine MCMLXXIX

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 Lexus GX470
    My radiator did this until it became noticeable that it was leaking. Like said above I would have the system pressure tested to rule out the coolant system. Next would be a compression test to rule out the head gasket.

5. Jan 8, 2014 at 3:22 PM
    mynewtoy

mynewtoy I like men

Member:
    First Name:
    greg
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    09 double cab 4x4
    Detriot locker rear ARB air locker front 4.56 gears OME 3" lift, SPC uca's , moto metal 951 wheels 315/75/r16 Treadwright guard dogs, homemade front plate bumper with smittybilt 9.5k winch, homemade skids, homemade Bed bars, Mobtown offroad high clearance rear bumper with tire carrier, Homemade rock sliders , U-bolt flip, Wheeler's super bumps, BORA 1" wheel spacers , Black headlight mod , black tail lights, Satoshi Grill , autoPage C3 RS-665 alarm with remote start, flowmaster 40 series exhaust, cruise control,bed/ground effect lights, wet okole seat covers, tinted,windows, weather tech floor mats, AVS vent shades, debadged, hidden cobra 19 cb, 7" offroad lights behind grill, rear diff breather relocate, abs kill switch
    check the heater core

6. Jan 8, 2014 at 3:24 PM
    Ghost848

Ghost848 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Alberta,Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 V6 TRD OR Silver M6
    OME + Dakers, 285/75R16 Nitto Trail Grapplers, ARB Bumper, Columbia overland Dual battery, Super winch,CC stage 4 clutch, bestop supertop, URD TO bearing, BHLM headlights, Cruisin offroad rear bumper, Harrop front E-locker.
    X2 on heater core and x3 on pressure test

7. Jan 8, 2014 at 3:33 PM
    Rickalders

Rickalders Well-Known Member

Member:
    Another suggestion to check the heater core. Turn the defroster on (hot and defroster vents, no AC) and see if you get steam on the windshield. A tiny leak could cause a coolant smell yet otherwise be undetectable. You could also check for coolant dripping from the AC condensate drain.

8. Jan 8, 2014 at 7:21 PM
    00yotasr5

00yotasr5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    lee
    merced, ca
    Vehicle:
    00 SR5 4X4 RED DEVIL
    Icon ext travel expo leafs rear billies 5125 10'' travel bamf bpv relocate Brute Force Fab Sliders allpro ss brake lines f/r LR UCA 22in wetokled bar RAT Products ifs skid ARB rear locker Ultra gauge Redline Hood Struts Blue Sea Fuse box smittybilt xrc 9.5 w/TJM synthetic rope trail-gear rock assault low profile bumper LED bed strip 12v/usb charger in truck bed
    mine did the same thing, it end up being the heater control valve on the firewall replace and no more coolant smell/white smoke coming from hood.

9. Jan 8, 2014 at 7:29 PM
    Holy schmidt

Holy schmidt Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wyatt
    Nebraska
    Check on the plastic topper of the radiator even under the hose on top . My leaked very slowly to the point of were I would only need a cup of coolant every 3 or so months and wasnt noticeable at first but they are probably right on what to do.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
    ArizonaBrian likes this.
  10. Jan 9, 2014 at 7:48 AM
    Capt Pie

Capt Pie [OP] Active Member

Member:
    sacramento
    Vehicle:
    sr5 V6 4WD
    1999 v6
    201,000 miles

I got a pressure test kit on the way home, but none of the adapters fit - will be returning it today.

I checked the coolant and there wasn't any oil mixed in, but haven't dropped the oil.

I did notice that while digging around, I found one of the metal brackets that holds my battery cables together rubbed through the plastic shielding and was starting to rub through the rubber. Glad I caught that now!

Thanks for all the suggestions, will check all those things today.

11. Jan 9, 2014 at 9:25 AM
    presto

presto Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Topher
    san francisco
    Vehicle:
    2000 T4R 4x4
    Fully armored on 33’s
    might want to check the heater control valve. thats what was leaking on mine. actually a pretty easy fix.

12. Jan 9, 2014 at 9:32 AM
    mick478

mick478 He is The STig

Member:
    First Name:
    Bott
    Stockton, CACA
    Vehicle:
    2011 White TRD Sport, 4x4 doublemint cab
    Ome 885 coils Ome n9000 front shocks Ome n182 rear shocks K&n drop in filter Duratracs Kenwood kac 90210d Kicker 12" Alpine 800 watt 4 channel Pioneer 430w 6x9 Firestone ride rite air springs
    X2^^^

My first gen had a hairline crack on the plastic radiator topper, hardly noticeable until I was looking for it. Check the bottom as well

ArizonaBrian likes this.
  13. Jan 9, 2014 at 9:37 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    Common causes have been mentioned for small leaks with no visible signs of coolant loss. These are the ones I have seen over the years:
    Heater core
    Heater control valve
    Lower radiator hose
    Water pump
    Intake manifold gasket

What you can do is look around those areas for an orange "fuzz" that looks similar to battery corrosion on the battery post, but it will be typically orange in color (Unless you are using green coolant, then it could be green fuzz) It is easy to remove the top cover from the timing belt so that you can look into the timing belt area and inspect for the water pump leak, and front of the intake manifold gasket area as well.

14. Jan 9, 2014 at 11:05 AM
    Dirty Pool

Dirty Pool FLIES ON THE FRIES, KETCHUPS WATERED DOWN

Member:
    59.4 Miles, 56.67° NE Of Moab
    Vehicle:
    99 XCAB V6 MT TRD
    Dirty Pool rear bumper/air tank with integrated spare CV shaft storage, DP customized TJM front bumper, 8000 lb Ramsey/Technora rope, E-locked, Extended breathers with front diff catch can, PCV catch can, SAWs with DP heim joint seals, DP custom 6 leaf rear springs/Billies, DP custom skids, 2lo, Gray wire, Cap, Bed Rug, Black steelies, 01 Center console, Map lights, Disraeli gears
    One more semi common leak spot not yet mentioned is the "bypass pipe" under the lower intake manifold. Unfortunately it is not visible. Most folks initially detect it when it gets bad enough that enough coolant collects in the space under the intake (the valley). It then starts to seep out at the rear of the engine. There is a metal plate closing off this area where the wetness is seen. It will take a mirror to inspect this area. Look for the plate with a 5/8" or so tube coming out of it. This leak can get on the exhaust crossover pipe and/or be "baked" by it.
    The actual leak comes from failed FIPG on a 2 bolt flange where the pipe mates to the block near the front of the engine (under the intake). These can leak for years undetected other than a very slow loss of coolant.

Should bypass pipe be the culprit, while the intake is off, replacing the "knock sensor wiring harness" would be prudent. They tend to get very brittle and are usually just waiting for the opportunity to fail.

ArizonaBrian likes this.
  15. Jan 11, 2014 at 3:28 PM
    Domc20

Domc20 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dominic
    Baltimore, MD
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma
    Retro Fitted headlights,HID headlights(80000k),Satoshi Grill Mod, LED tail lights, Magnaflow exhaust , Spectre CAI, 2.5inch spacer lift , Nitto Terra Grapplers 285/70/17, XD Revolvers ,2" blocks rear
    I have the same problem and I found that the heater control valve is leaking coolant... does anyone know how to fix this.

16. Jan 11, 2014 at 3:34 PM
    lipster

lipster Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern MN
    Vehicle:
    2004 ext cab 3.4 auto TRD
    License plate frame
    Replace the valve.

17. Jan 11, 2014 at 3:42 PM
    Domc20

Domc20 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dominic
    Baltimore, MD
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma
    Retro Fitted headlights,HID headlights(80000k),Satoshi Grill Mod, LED tail lights, Magnaflow exhaust , Spectre CAI, 2.5inch spacer lift , Nitto Terra Grapplers 285/70/17, XD Revolvers ,2" blocks rear
    I will... I was just wondering if I had to replace the cord that delivers the coolant to the valve too

18. Jan 11, 2014 at 3:54 PM
    Racer X

Racer X Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    07 FJ Cruiser
    This may sound a bit weird, but I had the same issue and it ended up being a leaking battery. I was getting a antifreeze smell, looked through the whole system and no leaks. The coolant level never dropped and my engine temp was normal. After about a month, my battery died. When I pulled the battery out, it had been leaking from the back. After I replaced it, I haven't had the smell. It's been 5+ months and no antifreeze smell.

19. Jan 11, 2014 at 4:07 PM
    presto

presto Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Topher
    san francisco
    Vehicle:
    2000 T4R 4x4
    Fully armored on 33’s
    When you get your replacement don't make the same mistake I made.. That screw in the center don't tighten it!! It doesn't need to be tight it's just holding that little metal plate on. I had to replace that thing 2 times because the first time I installed the new one I tightened that screw..

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  20. Jan 13, 2014 at 3:02 PM
    Domc20

Domc20 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dominic
    Baltimore, MD
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma
    I did replace the leaking valve and im still getting the foggy windows and coolant smell. Im guessing its the heater core but im having trouble locating it.

Products Discussed in

To Top