1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

"Clunk/Clang" when going into gear

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Rhino, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Jan 8, 2014 at 6:24 PM
    Rhino

Rhino [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Laurel, Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD SR5 4x4
    gray wire mod, blacked out, debadged, toolbox foglights, cb in dash, system, bilstein 5100's in front wrapped in eibach coils, 5125's in the rear with 2 inch aal and 1 inch shackle, diff drop kit, extended rear brake line, 8000 lb smittybuilt winch on a custom winch bumper, 2 4 inch 100 watt kc's and 2 6 inch 100 watt kc's on the bumper, sometimes a ladder rack,much more to come
    So i recently installed the lift on my truck, before i put it on when i shifted from park to reverse or drive it was normal, now when i shift to either of these it makes a deep clunk noise that sounds like metal hitting metal, not grinding metal just like hitting a piece of flatbar with a hammer type noise. I checked the u joints and none of them had slack, i also greased them for good measure, i checked my fluid and it was about a half quart low, did not look burnt either, so i added fluid to it to get it on the right level yet it still does it. Also as soon as i put the lift on the back the abs light came on but my brakes seem to be doing fine any insight on what this is or how to fix it is greatly apprecaited

2. Jan 8, 2014 at 6:47 PM
    wrat

wrat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma Xcab 4x4 TRD
    You say that you checked the fluid and it was a quart low but never stated what type of fluid/where. ABS light on now too? Well if you were a quart low on brake fluid because you drained or leaked that much after installing the rear brake line extension then that could point in the right direction. I think more information is needed. What fluid was low? What all was entailed in the lift? Sounds like something was done close-to or involving the brakes. Is the clunk from the transmission, carrier bearing, u-joints, diff, etc?

FWIW, I blew the engine on a 1990 chevrolet and replaced it with a new long block. Literally all I did concerning the alternator was unbolt it from the old engine and then bolt it on to the new block. For some reason it stopped charging the battery after that and I had to buy a new one. Sometimes things just break unrelated to the recent work. However, with the clunk and ABS light it sounds like there definitely is a problem(s) related to this recent lift.

3. Jan 8, 2014 at 7:04 PM
    Rhino

Rhino [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Laurel, Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD SR5 4x4
    gray wire mod, blacked out, debadged, toolbox foglights, cb in dash, system, bilstein 5100's in front wrapped in eibach coils, 5125's in the rear with 2 inch aal and 1 inch shackle, diff drop kit, extended rear brake line, 8000 lb smittybuilt winch on a custom winch bumper, 2 4 inch 100 watt kc's and 2 6 inch 100 watt kc's on the bumper, sometimes a ladder rack,much more to come
    The transmission fluid was low sorry, and i havent installed my longer brake line yet however i did put my bpv bracket on

4. Jan 8, 2014 at 7:14 PM
    wrat

wrat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma Xcab 4x4 TRD
    Hmm. Is it possible that you smashed one of the abs sensors or wires when doing the lift? Did you unplug any of the abs wires and then cycle the ignition on before hooking it all back up (I know this causes problems on some GM vehicles, not sure about Toyota)?

Now about the clunk, first try to find out where the noise is coming from. I actually just wore out a u-joint last night even though I grease the joints regularly, have low miles, and there doesn't seem to have any play in the driveshaft. Sometimes noises can be hard to identify. Many a time I've had my wife drive while I hang off of the sliders or sit in the bed trying to figure out where noises are coming from.

Products Discussed in

To Top