1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Application Question for a Suspension Rebuild

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by jeepunh, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Jan 8, 2014 at 8:14 PM
    jeepunh

jeepunh [OP] New Member

Member:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2003 Taco XTRA Cab 3.4L 4wd
    So, I am the original owner of a still young 2003 4x4 3.4L V6 Xtra SR5 Tacoma (all stock) with 140k miles all driven in New England. This is my DD athough i do some driving on dirt roads up here in maine and in NH when i go into the backcountry but only on the weekends. I am thinking of doing the following suspension replacement:

Upfront:
    Camburg 2.5" coilovers (really sway-a-way race runners 56000-108) - run a 2 to 2.5" lift in the front
    Camburg 1" uni-ball UCAs

Rear:
    Bilstein 5100
    New leaf springs (was thinking of finding a local spring shop in new england) with a max lift of 1.5" - i am still trying to figure these out.

Concerns/Questions:
    1) Salt - I am concerned with salt build up on/in the uniballs and also corrosion of the anodized aluminum coil over parts (especially the threaded adjusting collars) - any feed back on this?
    2) It seems that the sway-a-ways use 650lb coils in the front and i am concerned with these being too stiff. Should I look into other brands that have lower spring weights (I know King, Icon, and Fox all do). I would like to get new bumpers but those would not be right now maybe in 1yr.
    3) Since the coil on the sway-a-ways are closer to the LCA, it seems like i might get some interference with the banjo/bolt for the brake calipers - anyone ever run into this?
    4) I would like to replace the leaf packs since they are almost flat (so I dont think AAL will last long) and want something beefier than stock but i do not want more than a 1.5" lift. I do haul equipment, fire wood and the occasional 1100lb granite mooring block (I think this may have did the springs in over time). This is also my DD so I take trips for work all over new england. Alcan and Deavers seem geared more towards offroad and was thinking of finding a local spring shop. Can anyone suggest any in NE or recommend some spring characteristics that I could order though a local shop

Any help/suggestions would be great. Also feel free to scap all my picks and suggest different line ups.

Thanks

2. Jan 13, 2014 at 10:33 AM
    KayStrait

KayStrait Camburg Girl

Member:
    First Name:
    Kayla
    Huntington Beach
    Vehicle:
    '98 Desert Dune SR5 4Runner
    Please let me know if you have any other questions and I will help you out! :)

Products Discussed in

To Top