Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

I need help from the pros!

Old 01-16-2014, 06:30 PM   #41
nickthedick is on a distinguished road
Name: Nick
nickthedick's Tacoma Gallery
PLEASE tell me there is an inexpensive fix to this..
Old 01-16-2014, 07:25 PM   #42
gman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

gman2530's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome! Just awesome!!!!

Send him a message...

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...ml#post7927195

He is running same set up.....

Truck looks Bad- Ass!!!!! You done good by her!!!!!!

Congrats!!!!!!!
Old 01-16-2014, 08:22 PM   #43
Mainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Moe
Mainmoe02's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickthedick View Post
Thanks for all your help gman2530! Really helped me make the right choice.

Mainmoe02 I have a (could be stupid) question.. Was it a pain getting your headlight set up the way it is? I think it looks SICK and was wanting to do something similar.. and did you have a specific thread you used for guidelines for painting your rims or did you just wing it?

Your new setup looks awesome! The tech is correct about the angles of the stock UCA's but it shouldn't be too bad. I too have the Eibachs up front with billies and I gained about 3.15" of lift after settling and I'm still on stock UCA's. It makes it a little tough to get perfect alignment but a good alignment is possible. Just to be sure can you post a pic of your upper control arms?

Headlights: the setup I have is called a retrofit and costs about $225 after shipping through The Retrofit source. They give a huge discount to TW members through their ongoing group buy. To install you open up your headlights (or buy a 2nd set to do the retrofit with) and install the projector and hid bulbs. Then seal everything g back up and hook up the new wires (which is simple). There's a write up or two that gives you a step by step on this project.

Wheels: I've painted my stock wheels a couple times, but the most recent I did it the correct way. I dismounted the wheels then sanded them smooth, cleaned'em up, then hit them with 4 coats of rustoleum gloss black, last I sprayed 3 coats of rustoleum clear coat for a little added protection. They've lasted a couple months already and no chipping. There may be a couple write ups but I just kinda read some builds and a couple guys did it the same way and the finished product turns out clean. Check out the Boxrocket build, he did his wheels a couple months back and I kinda got some ideas from his paint job.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:48 PM   #44
Ill take a picture first thing in the morning. I drove it home and it was stiff (just a little bouncy) but I don't mind that I kinda like it. But there's a lot of noise up front and I hit a speed hump going like 20 and it didn't feel too great. I'm gonna talk to the guy tomorrow and get some more details and get an alignment as well. I don't off-road crazy or anything but I want to be able to use my truck without worrying about hitting things hard. Thanks for the other details guys!
Old 01-16-2014, 09:04 PM   #45
Mainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yeah if it doesn't feel right then definently take a look at it. Make sure the coils are sitting correctly on the coil seat. Also, check to make sure the "C" clip is on the bottom setting on the shock. Try and take a pic of the shock where the coil sits. I've seen a couple threads on here where the shop technician put the C clip on the top notch. From the look of the stance and height it's probably correct.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:12 PM   #46
I didn't have a chance to really talk to him about what setting they put it on because they were closing so tomorrow I'm going in to pay him so I'll ask. If they put it higher ill have them take them off and set them lower and see if that helps. I'll take a bunch of pictures tomorrow and post them up. Thanks for your help man I appreciate it.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:19 PM   #47

Quote:
Here she is! Before before.jpg and after after.jpg !

I haven't had a chance to drive it yet and feel it out so we shall see how she rides.

Question. The shop dude said I should look into UCA's asap because the lift has them sitting at a horrible angle that is gonna kill the ball joints. Is he over reacting or is this something everyone does? Im not really stoked about spending a couple hundred dollars more on even more parts right away. Please let me know asap thanks guys!

You gained quite a bit of lift. Here's a pic of my passenger side UCA. I was able to zoom in on the 2nd pic you posted earlier to look at your UCA and I compared it to mine. I think the tech probably put the C clip on the wrong setting and that's why your sitting so high and why it feels so stiff. Plus your UCA's wouldn't be so over extended. Check out my pics...

Sorry for the crappy phone pics but you can see how many coils are visible on mine (above the UCA ball joint) and how many are visible on yours. There should be some settling but that would be a lot of settling.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:22 PM   #48

Quote:
I didn't have a chance to really talk to him about what setting they put it on because they were closing so tomorrow I'm going in to pay him so I'll ask. If they put it higher ill have them take them off and set them lower and see if that helps. I'll take a bunch of pictures tomorrow and post them up. Thanks for your help man I appreciate it.

Yeah don't pay him till they get the C clip on the bottom setting. They should have done it right the first time. I'm glad to help, truck talk is always fun
Old 01-16-2014, 09:57 PM   #49
RNGRCaldera is on a distinguished road

Army: Army Ranger
RNGRCaldera's Tacoma Gallery
Hey guys I didn't want to start a new thread because I am kinda in the same boat, except I haven't bought anything yet. I really want to lift my truck and give it the same look gman has on his. However I don't really know much about lifts except from what I read in the stickies. So I went to a local shop and asked them about lifting my truck and what I wanted. Originally I wanted new shocks with coil overs and rear leaf springs to achieve a 2"or 3" lift. But after talking to the shop owner he told me not to waste my money on the coil overs and leaf springs. He said I should just buy the shocks and use shackles on the rear. In the end he said he would sell me whatever I wanted, he just doesn't recommend it. I almost said yes, here is my money because you sounds smart lol. But I also want to make sure that its a good choice. So I am back to square one, I don't really know what I need or if he is just talking out of his ass. Any advice would be awesome! here is what she looks like now

Old 01-16-2014, 10:08 PM   #50
gman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I agree, angle looks steep.... I hope it is only a clip fix...should be at lowest setting. I can see four coils compared to your two..
Old 01-16-2014, 10:08 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNGRCaldera View Post
Hey guys I didn't want to start a new thread because I am kinda in the same boat, except I haven't bought anything yet. I really want to lift my truck and give it the same look gman has on his. However I don't really know much about lifts except from what I read in the stickies. So I went to a local shop and asked them about lifting my truck and what I wanted. Originally I wanted new shocks with coil overs and rear leaf springs to achieve a 2"or 3" lift. But after talking to the shop owner he told me not to waste my money on the coil overs and leaf springs. He said I should just buy the shocks and use shackles on the rear. In the end he said he would sell me whatever I wanted, he just doesn't recommend it. I almost said yes, here is my money because you sounds smart lol. But I also want to make sure that its a good choice. So I am back to square one, I don't really know what I need or if he is just talking out of his ass. Any advice would be awesome! here is what she looks like now

There are a lot of different options and Coilovers would be one of the top choices. Or you could piece together your own Coilover like the Eibachs or Old Man Emu coils paired with Bilstein shocks or Nitrocharger (OME) shocks. A little cheaper would be to get Bilstein 5100 adjustable shocks for the front (0-2.5" lift) and use the stock coils. For the rear you can do a shackle lift if you want. The better way would be to take out the stock leafs and put new leaf springs or to refurb the stock leafs with Chevy springs (OMD mod) or other AAL's.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:12 PM   #52
So you think my Bilsteins are set too high?
Old 01-16-2014, 10:20 PM   #53

I need help from the pros!

Possibly. When you pair Eibachs with Bilsteins the C clip has to be on the lowest setting or else there is too much preload on the already stiff coil and it could do damage if driven hard.
When you check the the clip tomorrow, you should be able to clearly see one empty notch above the coil seat. Another possibility is the coil seats being installed upside down. The C clip could be in the correct notch but the tech could have installed the coil seat upside down which would add around 2+ extra inches of lift. Pics of the coil seat should give us an idea as to why the lift is so high and why the UCA is at a steep angle.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:29 PM   #54
Ok ill post pictures tomorrow dude.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:10 AM   #55
I'm gonna post pictures but they do have them on the highest setting on the shock. This dude keeps saying over and over it has nothing to do with the shock.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:45 AM   #56

A lot of techs have no idea what to do with adjustable shocks like Bilsteins or how to set them up properly. Tell him that's what you want because it's the proper way. Right now your at 2.5" lift + 3" lift from the coils which is why the angles on the UCA's are so steep. Our IFS trucks can't handle that much lift without a drop bracket type lift. So those C clips need to be brought back down to the first setting. Glad you found the culprit though. Hopefully they aren't gonna dick you around and make you pay for reinstall again. Keep us posted
Old 01-17-2014, 09:57 AM   #57
Well here we are... 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

Like I said in my quick reply the guys did have the shocks on the HIGHEST setting! I took it to these guys because we have a pretty close relationship through work and they charged me a pretty low hourly rate to do it. The down side is that they are old school and I don't think he understands that this shock is HEIGHT ADJUSTABLE. I repeatedly told him I think its the shock that is messing it up and he kept assuring that it in fact was not.

I called a local tire shop we use and got a price of $90 to take off the fronts and adjust them as well as an alignment.. I am taking it in tomorrow. Lesson learned..
Attached Thumbnails
I need help from the pros!-1.jpg   I need help from the pros!-2.jpg   I need help from the pros!-3.jpg  
Old 01-17-2014, 10:35 AM   #58

I was hoping you would have read this reply before you went in...

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...ml#post8016037

I should have hi-lighted it.. Dang Sorry! Also remind them of the stance you want.. They may need to drop the rear shackle also...

>G
Old 01-17-2014, 10:38 AM   #59
No gman2530 I saw what you said about them being at 0 and I just didn't speak up.. I guess I figured he wouldn't set them up high when he knew that would make it super stiff. Thanks for your help man you helped me out a lot. I just should've spoke up a bit more. I'll get it all figured out tomorrow and be good to go I'm sure.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:38 AM   #60

Here is the info on zerk fittings for our trucks...

http://ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143246