Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

I need help from the pros!

Old 01-09-2014, 05:56 PM   #1
nickthedick is on a distinguished road
Name: Nick
nickthedick's Tacoma Gallery
I need help from the pros!

Hey whats up guys.. Im one of those dudes that needs help with something that Im sure you have heard a million times. I have researched and looked at past threads etc. but just wanted to throw out my personal situation just to be safe. I have a 2002 Crew cab 6 lug Toyota Tacoma. What I would like to do is lift the truck to the point where the front sits a little higher than the front but I think I might have possibly messed that up already.
I already bought a set of (4) Bilsteins, 2 being the height adjustable and the others for the back..
http://toyteclifts.3dcartstores.com/...ocks_p_94.html
Now I am trying to find the right spacers etc to make everything work right and try to achieve what I am looking for.. So far this is the kit I was leaning towards (I WOULD USE THE 1 1/2'' BLOCK) ..
http://toyteclifts.3dcartstores.com/...ons_p_313.html
My question to you pros is A. will this all work together with an otherwise stock truck? B. Is this kit my best option in this price range? and lastly C. Will these leave me level? Front still lower than back? I know that my truck starts off with the back higher so I have to look at that as well. If I could just get some good input I would really appreciate it! Thanks again dudes!
Old 01-09-2014, 06:03 PM   #2
gman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

gman2530's Tacoma Gallery
What I would like to do is lift the truck to the point where the front sits a little higher than the front but I think I might have possibly messed that up already.

Clarify this please, How do you want your truck to sit? Crew Cab? Double cab correct? You got a pic of your truck as she sits now?
We can help!
Old 01-09-2014, 06:04 PM   #3
gman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Mine 03, with 2.5 spacer lift...

click on the pic..
Attached Thumbnails
I need help from the pros!-sigpic46184_2.gif.jpeg  
Old 01-09-2014, 06:26 PM   #4
Mainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Moe
Mainmoe02's Tacoma Gallery
If your wanting to level your truck then you can do it with the 5100's set in the middle C clip level.

If your wanting to raise a full 3" (or close to it) up front and have the rear sit level with the front then your gonna need...

Options
-Lift coils (Eibachs, OME) paired with 5100's up front and 2" AAL, new leaf packs, or 2" block on the rear. Blocks would be the cheapest and with suspension lifts, you get what you pay for. I'd reccomend AAL or new leaf springs.

Or

-setting the 5100's on the top notch to gain 2.5" of lift.

There are top plate spacers that can be used to gain a little more lift but I'm not sure if it's a good idea to add a top plate spacer if your using 5100's on the 2.5" level with stock coils. If you can then you could get the full 3", but don't hold me to that. Might be too much pre-compression
Old 01-09-2014, 06:33 PM   #5
ryantaco is a splendid one to beholdryantaco is a splendid one to beholdryantaco is a splendid one to beholdryantaco is a splendid one to beholdryantaco is a splendid one to beholdryantaco is a splendid one to beholdryantaco is a splendid one to behold

ryantaco's Tacoma Gallery
Set the front adjustable bilsteins to the 1.75 setting and you should sit just barely nose high(or at least thats how mine sits[06 double cab long bed]).
not sure why you got the spacers, the bilsteins will do everything you want
Old 01-09-2014, 07:15 PM   #6
presto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Topher
presto's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryantaco View Post
Set the front adjustable bilsteins to the 1.75 setting and you should sit just barely nose high(or at least thats how mine sits[06 double cab long bed]).
I don't think he actually got the spacers yet that's why he was asking about em.

I'd say save up for the eibach springs and aal or Dakar leafs if you want that little extra. Not a pro tho so I dunno it's basically what I'm getting tho.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:41 AM   #7
Sorry I meant to say I want the front to sit a little higher than the BACK. I will post a pic of my truck in about 10 minutes just got to work. Thanks for all the help so far I really appreciate it!
Old 01-10-2014, 10:07 AM   #8
Here is how she sits now..

IMG_2144.jpg

I like yours gman2530 it looks like it has the type of stance I am looking for.

I guess its called a "bro lean" or something like that. I cant find any pictures but I'm sure you guys know what Im saying! Again thanks for the help dudes.

Edit: Shitty picture but I found a perfect example..

imagesM2HIJW2D.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
I need help from the pros!-img_2144.jpg   I need help from the pros!-imagesm2hijw2d.jpg  
Old 01-10-2014, 10:20 AM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryantaco View Post

I took my shocks to a shop and they told me I HAVE to lift the rear just to get the rears to work. They said they couldn't get them on without compressing them half way. I was under the impression that all I needed were the shocks and then after taking a step back and looking closer I realized I was wrong hence why I came here.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:45 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickthedick View Post
I took my shocks to a shop and they told me I HAVE to lift the rear just to get the rears to work. They said they couldn't get them on without compressing them half way. I was under the impression that all I needed were the shocks and then after taking a step back and looking closer I realized I was wrong hence why I came here.
Shop is correct: from Toytec add of your set..
Rear D560 extended length 5100 Bilstein shocks work great with 1 to 2 1/2" lift. (will not work with no rear lift)

This is no big issue, EZ fix!

You are almost where u want to be... Since the shop will have to remove the front coil and shock...You just need to get these:
http://toyteclifts.3dcartstores.com/...ings_p_14.html

Have them set your front struts to zero for a nice lift and ride... Then just get a set of lift shackles: have the shop set them so you have room for the shocks and that you want the front a bit higher

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/toy...-1st-gens.html

http://www.eadoffroad.com/toytec-skl...-lift-shackles

these will give you the lift to install rear shock and keep a Bro lean....

Here is more info on the coils.... read the thread:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...5-75-16-a.html

I have a 2.5 spacers up front, but getting coil-overs soon! and your same rear shocks with a 1.5 in shackle lift.....It is a good solid way to go till you can pop for rear springs... We have a source for those also...

pic of rear shocks... install Boots down!
Attached Thumbnails
I need help from the pros!-00p0p_crlrskc46d_600x450.jpg  
Old 01-10-2014, 11:27 AM   #11
Thank you so much dude! The thread about the shackles says "The 1 and 1.5 inch setting will require some minor trimming on the stock bumper brackets for proper clearance"

Is this a easy fix? Besides that Im gonna pull the trigger and get these!
Old 01-10-2014, 12:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Thank you so much dude! The thread about the shackles says "The 1 and 1.5 inch setting will require some minor trimming on the stock bumper brackets for proper clearance"

I am sure you will love the stance.. Lifts really give our trucks a new look/new posture..Almost like being born again hard!

Before you pull the trigger on the shackles.. get with your shop... let them know what you are bringing in..Present the issue to them, maybe some light grinding.. With the three options, they will be able to set it for the way lean you want..

Keep us posted... You can also call around to other front end shops.. Find someone who works on lifting vehicles.

>G

Ps.. stand by.... I am sure someone with more knowledge will ping in...

remember your struts have adjustment, but i think 3in lift is about perfect for your look..so let them know to set them to Zero...the small clip
Old 01-10-2014, 12:54 PM   #13

Quote:

I am thinking.... because of the old worn leaf pack sagging... you may need the full two inches...

I am going to ask OMD Old Man Doug to chime in... Get his wisdom....
Old 01-10-2014, 01:21 PM   #14
Ok cool sounds good! That's fine too Im not real worried about it I would just like to have that stance you know.. but if I can have it with the full 2'' that's cool too of course.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:44 PM   #15
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman2530 View Post
Shop is correct: from Toytec add of your set..
Rear D560 extended length 5100 Bilstein shocks work great with 1 to 2 1/2" lift. (will not work with no rear lift)

This is no big issue, EZ fix!

You are almost where u want to be... Since the shop will have to remove the front coil and shock...You just need to get these:
http://toyteclifts.3dcartstores.com/...ings_p_14.html

Have them set your front struts to zero for a nice lift and ride... Then just get a set of lift shackles: have the shop set them so you have room for the shocks and that you want the front a bit higher

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/toy...-1st-gens.html

http://www.eadoffroad.com/toytec-skl...-lift-shackles

these will give you the lift to install rear shock and keep a Bro lean....

Here is more info on the coils.... read the thread:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...5-75-16-a.html

I have a 2.5 spacers up front, but getting coil-overs soon! and your same rear shocks with a 1.5 in shackle lift.....It is a good solid way to go till you can pop for rear springs... We have a source for those also...

pic of rear shocks... install Boots down!
Gman's info is correct, lifting the rear of 1st gen, even an inch is going to require longer shocks, that said you HAVE to raise the back end in order to use the upgraded shocks (kinda confusing huh..)

You don't neccessarily need longer shackles, a couple Chevy springs would do nicely for a 2" lift, match that with the 3" Toytec/Eibach coils & you'd have your lifted /slightly bro' leaned truck, best part is the lift was done thru suspension, not blocks & spacers

Quote:
Old 01-10-2014, 02:52 PM   #16
presto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Topher
presto's Tacoma Gallery
^ what he said.. Unless your just makin a mall crawler.. Basically the real deal new coils and leafs = more heavy duty. A lot of people grab the leaf packs from junkyard trucks for a pretty good price. Just really depends on how you are going to be using your truck.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:56 PM   #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by presto View Post
^ what he said.. Unless your just makin a mall crawler.. Basically the real deal new coils and leafs = more heavy duty. A lot of people grab the leaf packs from junkyard trucks for a pretty good price. Just really depends on how you are going to be using your truck.

I mean I don't do too much offroading (mine is only 2wd) but from time to time I take it out in some mud or down some dirt roads. I bought the coils but with the shackles.. Ill look into getting some leafs at a junk yard. Chevy you said?
Old 01-10-2014, 03:05 PM   #18
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by presto View Post
Say it isn't so, who in their right mind would consider putting junk parts on their 'yota ??.......

Quote:
I mean I don't do too much offroading (mine is only 2wd) but from time to time I take it out in some mud or down some dirt roads. I bought the coils but with the shackles.. Ill look into getting some leafs at a junk yard. Chevy you said?
He didn't I did tho'.....
Old 01-10-2014, 04:39 PM   #19

Quote:

Stand by on the leafs, If you are going to buy leafs....It is a must you speak with OMD! he fabs them!!!!!!! Buying a set from a junkyard is fine if you know what to look for or you may end up with worn out leafs, you will be in the same position, Leafs are not universal... just check with OMD...

I just missed a set.. once i get my coil overs, i will be getting a set from him..

See this...
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...springs-2.html

The shackles is a good easy way to make sure you get the bro lean you want.. Better than blocks and you have adjustment if you need...plus not too much $$$$$

I am a firm believer that we must support our members. He makes a quality product... Just ask around...Lots of knowledge and all around good guy!

You need to ask him about his Hi-Tech shop..
Old 01-10-2014, 05:16 PM   #20
Will do thanks for all the input guys! Ill post pictures next week when its all done!