1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Deck restorer as bedliner -TESTED

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Indy, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Mar 20, 2014 at 2:39 PM
    Indy

Indy [OP] Master of all I survey.

Member:
    Ok, on to the most abusive test I could think of. These are the rafters in my shop.
    [​IMG]

About 16' above the ground.

These are (obviously) some bricks and a steel hitch.
    [​IMG]

You can probably guess where I'm going here. I'm not sure what they weigh so I'm going to say that by the time they reach the truck bed they will be falling at 14.7 million mph with a striking force of 300 megaton bombs. My math may be off.

Regardless, the result is...
    [​IMG]

Plus some really impressive dents in my bed. Not the best outcome I could think of, but they did hit really hard and seeing the gloss I may not have done a good job scuffing. I don't have any commercial liner to test the difference so take this as you will. Maybe it's equal,maybe its horribly worse. If anyone has a can leftover I'll be happy to apply and drop the hitch again :) My bed was beat to hell to start with and a few more dents won't break my heart.

Prior to this I'd seen no flaking just from driving around and treating it as a truck bed. I'm leaving the bricks and hitch back there to let them bang around while I drive around, see if I get any other wear.

Worst case scenario for everyone besides me, you don't have to test it yourself :laugh:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
    tomwil likes this.
  2. Mar 21, 2014 at 7:31 AM
    sam24th

sam24th Village Idiot

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    84 Pickup/89 4Runner
    Aussie front locker, Chromoly front shafts, Chromoly Hub gears, 5.29s, 4.7 Tcase
    Ive got the Kevlar DuPont stuff in my truck bed. We tossed some VERY large boulders in the back of it and it didn't crack like that. It scratched the bedliner where we drug the rocks out for the bed, but it never chipped or cracked.

3. Mar 22, 2014 at 4:08 PM
    96yoterd

96yoterd I do all my own Mods...!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Knoxville TN
    Vehicle:
    Daily Driver / Trail Rig in the making...!!!
    bored 20 over, 3" lift, lots more coming... SOON...!!!
    well we didnt expect you to abuse your truck that bad while testing the stuff, swinging from the rafters like an ape slinging bricks should be covered under the liners warranty...!!! lmao...!!!

4. Mar 24, 2014 at 11:53 AM
    Indy

Member:
    How entertaining would it be if I just threw some rocks in there and drove around? I know I'd be bored doing it :laugh:

5. Mar 24, 2014 at 12:45 PM
    Boerseun

Boerseun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TRD Sport 4x4
    Upgraded 2002 Tacoma to 2018 Tundra
    :eek: :bowdown:
    I applaud your willingness to test the liner to those extents for all of us!

6. Mar 24, 2014 at 1:49 PM
    cynicalrider

cynicalrider #NFG

Member:
    Jersey
    Vehicle:
    01 SR5 TRD 4x4, '23 Bronco Wildtrak, 2017 HSQV FE350
    Drop bracket lift and booger welds
    I love the brick drop test. I'd be afraid it would pop up and hit my window!

7. Mar 25, 2014 at 1:06 PM
    Indy

Member:
    I'd lie if I said I didn't consider throwing a piece of plywood up just in case. But by the time I'd forgotten about it I was already in the rafters :laugh:

8. Mar 25, 2014 at 3:19 PM
    Yamaha Dave

Yamaha Dave Well-Known Member

Member:
    And THIS is the reason why you should choose a reputable bed liner brand made specifically for that purpose. In the end you'll end up wasting more time time and work in the end.

9. Mar 25, 2014 at 6:16 PM
    Card1

Card1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia!
    Vehicle:
    96 taquito
    Doestch Spindles
    14 million mph.. i dunno man :rofl:

10. Mar 25, 2014 at 11:04 PM
    frizzman

frizzman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 XCab 4x4 TRD/OR
    OME 2.5,Tundra 17s,Falken Wildpeak AT3W hitch w/ 7-pin, ARE cap, JVC HU w/BT, HID/LED lights
    It doesn't say anything about impacts on the description so probably would be fine for standard protection (walking, deck furniture, etc). It even states the 10x version can be used on driveways so it may be getting better.

11. Mar 27, 2014 at 12:47 PM
    Indy

Member:
    Where exactly is the fun in that? No-one is damaged by me testing and I'm out a grand total so far of $50 if I consider it a 100% failure. It's not a 100%, only failed 1 test so far, and I've gotten more entertainment out of it than $50 usually brings.

Many of the things I take off road were never meant for that use. You never know until you try if something is going to work or not and the experimentation is downright enjoyable. If it works yay, if it doesn't, I had fun doing it. Same reason I've jumped out of airplanes. Sure I could land in the plane, but that's no fun.

Besides many of the planes I've taken off in, I flat out don't want to try to land in.

Lots of things we use in every day life, are re-uses of other products in unintended ways than they were designed for.

There is a multi-billion dollar industry making sex toys bases purely that on some moment in the past someone took something that is OMG THAT'S NOT SUPPOSED TO GO THERE! and adapted it :laugh:

Let me go on record, NO ONE should try using deck restorer in any kind of sex toy fashion. That's not going to end well. I mean with the texture it's definitely ribbed for... nevermind, don't try it.

But back on topic, I still don't have any commercial bedliner to see if it would react in any way differently. If I paid $1000 and saw the same results I'd be 10 kinds of pissed. If I spent $50, eh, no biggie. This particular truck doesn't wear a taigate because the one that was on it was too buggered up to repair. The bed was dented and rusted, there were rust outs over the wheelwells etc. I've patched and welded and done basic body work on it, and someday (if I don't sell it it) it will wear a flatbed. And I paid $200 for the whole truck (into about 2500 total). It is the PERFECT test vehicle for this kind of stuff. I wouldn't do the same in a truck I just paid $40k for. I'm semi-retarded but I'm not that dumb :laugh:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
    sente3 likes this.
  12. Mar 27, 2014 at 12:54 PM
    cynicalrider

cynicalrider #NFG

Member:
    Jersey
    Vehicle:
    01 SR5 TRD 4x4, '23 Bronco Wildtrak, 2017 HSQV FE350
    Drop bracket lift and booger welds
    :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

13. Mar 27, 2014 at 6:10 PM
    96yoterd

96yoterd I do all my own Mods...!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Knoxville TN
    Vehicle:
    Daily Driver / Trail Rig in the making...!!!
    bored 20 over, 3" lift, lots more coming... SOON...!!!
    very well said...! but im still wondering about the man who discovered milk, what exactly was he up too...??? :rolleyes:

14. Mar 27, 2014 at 9:34 PM
    Madjik_Man

Madjik_Man The Rembrandt of Rattle Can

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    1998 Ext Cab 3.4 4x4 TRD 5MT, 2004 DC 3.4 4x4 TRD
    [​IMG]

15. Aug 12, 2014 at 9:43 AM
    BeaverYota

BeaverYota Oregon State Edition

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Lake St. Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    Sold...
    Any word on how it's done now? I just saw someone else talk about this and have been trying to research it. I'm looking at bed-lining my rock panels and wondering if this is a cost effective alternative.

16. Aug 12, 2014 at 3:23 PM
    Indy

Member:
    It's continued to flake from where the impacts got it started, but the sides and the rest that I didn't destroy seem to be holding up so far. And to be honest most of where I've lost it, the paint is still shiny underneath. I don't think I was as thorough with the scuff pad as I should have been. It's been in the sun and basic weather and driving around but no winter yet (obviously). I'm going to be selling the truck soon but I'll take a few more pictures before I do. Right now I'd say it will work for light duty use and basic cosmetics, but not for heavy duty use. I still haven't had anyone take me up on letting me test their bedliner (I can't figure that one out either) as a comparison :laugh:

Even on my initial test panels held up well, until I abused the living heck out of them. With proper (better than I did) prep, it might do decently for rocker protection. I don't see it doing as well as whatever stuff mythbusters decided was actually bomb-proof though.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  17. Aug 12, 2014 at 3:33 PM
    broken taco

broken taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    San Diego / Houston
    Vehicle:
    01 TRD SR5 4WD
    Trail gear 3 Link Solid Axle Swap kit, 14 " Fox coil overs with reservoirs up front, Chevy 63 leaf spring swap with ruff stuffs Chevy 63 swap kit, 14 "Fox shocks on the rear, 37" tires, Custom front bumper by Next Venture Motor Sports with a warn winch, glassworks unlimited fender flares, custom rock rails with kickups (modeled after Relentless Fab Rock sliders), rear bumper from streetacos.com (with custom rap around protection for fiberglass fenders and the hitch receiver hidden behind the license plate that is on hinges), HID off road lights on front bumper, rigid pods on rear bumper with red back lighting, high lift mounted in the bed, onboard air, Flowmaster muffler, aftermarket air intake, alarm system, Alpine Deck, Alpine amp, Alpine speakers, JL W6 12" subwoofer, JL amp.
  18. Aug 12, 2014 at 3:49 PM
    kenneth.morris07

kenneth.morris07 كافر‎

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenneth
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    Relentless Fab plate bumper,aFe Cold air intake, 12" JL sub, RE tweeters and speakers, Kenwood Head unit, Autodim/temp/compass mirror from Bob, baffled oil catch can
    This doesn't seem like a horrible alternative to bedliner on the 1st gens. The 2nd gens have composite beds. Not too sure how it would hold up.

19. Aug 12, 2014 at 7:43 PM
    BeaverYota

BeaverYota Oregon State Edition

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Lake St. Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    Sold...
  20. Aug 12, 2014 at 8:01 PM
    Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Go Pokes!

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM DCSB OR 4x4
    Clazzio leather seat covers, CBI T3 front, SOS sliders, SCS Ray10s, 285/75/16 Duratracs, debadged, extra bed D-ring tiedowns, Advantage TorzaTop, OEM bed mat, custom center console organizer, Husky liners, remote start.

Products Discussed in

To Top