Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Stuttering problem - Oxygen sensor(s)? Something else?

Old 01-19-2014, 03:17 PM   #1
bobbob is on a distinguished road
bobbob's Tacoma Gallery
Question Stuttering problem - Oxygen sensor(s)? Something else?

Greetings,

1998 4WD 2.7 3RZ-FE, ~120,000 miles, not driven very frequently, mostly highway miles

During a long road trip last summer, my truck developed a kind of stutter - at cruising speed, the engine would cut out very briefly. It would happen every once in a while, unpredictably.

Not too long after that, it started happening more regularly under acceleration around town.

Having been away from home for a few months, I had the battery disconnected until recently, and needed to get it smogged as soon as I was home and reconnected the battery. On the drive to the smog shop (first time driving in several months), the stuttering under acceleration was *much* more pronounced. At the smog shop, they found the OBD reported that the oxygen sensor and evaporative system sensor both reported "not ready" status (note: oxygen sensor *heater* reported OK), so it couldn't be smogged.

On the way home from the smog shop, the stuttering was almost non-existent.

What I'm wondering:

(1) Seems like the oxygen sensor "not ready" status could be related to the stuttering, but to what extent would it having JUST had the battery reconnected cause the "not ready" status? (and thus be two unrelated issues?)

(2) Not sure what to think about the evaporative system sensor.

What I need to address:

(1) Figure out what is causing the stuttering. I got some mass air flow sensor cleaner and sprayed the heck out of it, so I think I ruled that out. I'm not sure if this is the oxygen sensor(s) or not, but maybe it would be healthy to replace them no matter what (don't think they've ever been replaced, although I hate to make an unnecessary purchase)

(2) Would like to have confidence that it's ready to smog. I have an OBD scanner in the mail...

Advice would be much appreciated.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:07 PM   #2
bobbob's Tacoma Gallery
bump? Thanks for any advice
Old 01-20-2014, 12:17 PM   #3
se7enine has much to be proud ofse7enine has much to be proud ofse7enine has much to be proud ofse7enine has much to be proud ofse7enine has much to be proud ofse7enine has much to be proud ofse7enine has much to be proud ofse7enine has much to be proud ofse7enine has much to be proud of

se7enine's Tacoma Gallery
When was the last time you did a tune up? I would change the oil, oil filter, spark plugs and wires. The O2 sensor not being ready is probably because you had the battery disconnected and didn't have enough miles on it to get ready for smog.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:19 PM   #4
If you ain't first, you're last!
tylershane17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtylershane17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtylershane17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtylershane17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtylershane17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtylershane17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtylershane17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtylershane17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtylershane17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtylershane17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtylershane17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
tylershane17's Tacoma Gallery
Could be a dirty maf sensor. Mine did that and that was my problem
Old 01-20-2014, 06:12 PM   #5
bobbob's Tacoma Gallery
Been a long while since I changed plugs and wires. Would that cause intermittent stuttering?? (feels like the engine cuts out completely, not just a misfire)... on the freeway due to the high speed, even though it is a quick stutter, it's a bit violent.

Re: mass air flow sensor, I sprayed the heck out of that with some cleaner, so I think I ruled that out.

Thanks a bunch for the replies.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:05 AM   #6
Veteran
low boy is on a distinguished road

Army: Operator
Name: Matt
low boy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbob View Post
Been a long while since I changed plugs and wires. Would that cause intermittent stuttering?? (feels like the engine cuts out completely, not just a misfire)... on the freeway due to the high speed, even though it is a quick stutter, it's a bit violent.

Re: mass air flow sensor, I sprayed the heck out of that with some cleaner, so I think I ruled that out.

Thanks a bunch for the replies.
too add to the plugs and wires I'd also check the ignition coils out.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:49 PM   #7
bobbob's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the tip. How would I diagnose the coils? (definitely coils, not rotor and cap, I see that much)
Old 01-27-2014, 01:21 AM   #8
ttora member since 2001
scootn2nature is on a distinguished road
scootn2nature's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbob View Post
Greetings,

1998 4WD 2.7 3RZ-FE, ~120,000 miles, not driven very frequently, mostly highway miles

During a long road trip last summer, my truck developed a kind of stutter - at cruising speed, the engine would cut out very briefly. It would happen every once in a while, unpredictably.

Not too long after that, it started happening more regularly under acceleration around town.

Having been away from home for a few months, I had the battery disconnected until recently, and needed to get it smogged as soon as I was home and reconnected the battery. On the drive to the smog shop (first time driving in several months), the stuttering under acceleration was *much* more pronounced. At the smog shop, they found the OBD reported that the oxygen sensor and evaporative system sensor both reported "not ready" status (note: oxygen sensor *heater* reported OK), so it couldn't be smogged.

On the way home from the smog shop, the stuttering was almost non-existent.

What I'm wondering:

(1) Seems like the oxygen sensor "not ready" status could be related to the stuttering, but to what extent would it having JUST had the battery reconnected cause the "not ready" status? (and thus be two unrelated issues?)

(2) Not sure what to think about the evaporative system sensor.

What I need to address:

(1) Figure out what is causing the stuttering. I got some mass air flow sensor cleaner and sprayed the heck out of it, so I think I ruled that out. I'm not sure if this is the oxygen sensor(s) or not, but maybe it would be healthy to replace them no matter what (don't think they've ever been replaced, although I hate to make an unnecessary purchase)

(2) Would like to have confidence that it's ready to smog. I have an OBD scanner in the mail...

Advice would be much appreciated.

when it happened to me in my tacoma it felt like I forgot to turn the petcock to on while riding a motorcycle and back to normal when it got some gas( turned out to be front cat clogging up ended up melting out the bottom of my vacuum modulator. once in an acura it was the crank shaft position sensor plug coming loose
Old 02-01-2014, 03:51 PM   #9
bobbob's Tacoma Gallery
Seems like it was the plugs. Two of them had lost their gap very badly. Running smooth so far, but.....

Oxygen sensor and Evap. both still reporting not ready status. I drove it for around 200 highway miles. Shouldn't that be enough to let the computer reset those systems?
Old 02-04-2014, 03:04 PM   #10
bobbob's Tacoma Gallery
This answered my questions:

http://www.yotatech.com/f2/info-driv...s-test-250780/