1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Backfire, power loss, cylinder 1 lean, engine bog.

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by prerunner88, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Jan 19, 2014 at 8:17 PM
    prerunner88

prerunner88 [OP] Member

Member:
    california
    Vehicle:
    01 prerunner sr5 2.7
    I have a 01 tacoma with a 2.7 engine and i am having serious power loss problems. This began after a 5 hour trip back from high altitude 10000 feet to sea level. The truck ran good for the trip but started having trouble the next day after about 15 minutes of running. It will idle smoothly and with very slow pressure on the peddle i can get the engine to rev up without missing. If i put it under a load going down even a flat road it will act as though it is going to die. Bad hesitation, hardly any power and a loud vacuum sound comes from the intake. The deaper you put your foot in the peddle the worse it gets. If you maintain even half throttle it will occasionally backfire. At idle or up to about 20 percent throttle if done so gradually the truck will run fine but with more than 20 percent or even normal acceleration speed it will bog out and feel as though it has lost fuel. I only got one code from the computer and it read cylinder 1 lean. The truck has 130k. Any tips would be much appreciated im lost where to go from here. I have a feeling this could be electrical related or fuel delivery. Thanks

What i have done so far
    Cleaned throttle body and upper intake.
    Cleaned and tested mass air flow sensor.
    Replaced spark plugs
    Replaced fuel filter
    Tested egr valve
    Checked all vacuum lines.

2. Jan 19, 2014 at 8:18 PM
    Spoonman

Spoonman Granite Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta
    What are the codes

3. Jan 19, 2014 at 8:24 PM
    Frkypunk

Frkypunk "Death is what you make of it."

Member:
    First Name:
    Timmy
    Woods of P.A.
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra limited,2015 Highlander limited, Prius(commuter)
    Got the gas mileage down to 13mpg! Modification complete
    Bad lifters or wiped cam lobe do that...but a timing chain jump would do that also. Check your codes...could be a number of things.

4. Jan 19, 2014 at 9:36 PM
    prerunner88

prerunner88 [OP] Member

Member:
    california
    Vehicle:
    01 prerunner sr5 2.7
    It showed a p0171 cyliner 1 lean. I considered a timing chain jump but figured if that were the case i wouldn't be able to get it to smoothly run at 3000rpm. At idle and very gradual acceleration the truck runs perfect. Its only when you give it gas at a decent rate that it acts up.

5. Jan 19, 2014 at 9:42 PM
    Frkypunk

Frkypunk "Death is what you make of it."

Member:
    First Name:
    Timmy
    Woods of P.A.
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra limited,2015 Highlander limited, Prius(commuter)
    Got the gas mileage down to 13mpg! Modification complete
    MAF... But you said you changed that?

6. Jan 20, 2014 at 9:01 AM
    prerunner88

prerunner88 [OP] Member

Member:
    california
    Vehicle:
    01 prerunner sr5 2.7
    I didn't change the MAF but did clean it really well with evaporating electrical connection cleaner. I tested it by running the truck with it unplugged and the truck loped and hardly wanted to run then plugged it in while running and it instantly went to a smooth idle and ran better. I know that's not a true way of testing its full working function but did eliminate the concern of it not working entirely. One other symptom i forgot to mention was when at rest for a while or cold start facing slighly downhill it has had a hard time starting. Usually fires the secound you turn the key and smooth idles. While downhill it takes a couple cranks and it will sputter for the first couple revolutions of the motor then run clean. Part of why i was concerned it could be fuel delivery related. What do you guys think.

7. Jan 20, 2014 at 10:47 AM
    Pakrat

Pakrat Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Washington,State Columbia gorge
    Vehicle:
    02 tacoma xtracab 4x4 stock
    Front dome light added,light reminder added,door chime mod, added 2nd gen 4runner headrests,grey wire mod, 2lo mod, more later.
    Fuel pump failing?

8. Jan 20, 2014 at 11:04 AM
    Sacrifice

Sacrifice Motorcycle Goon

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    KS
    Vehicle:
    DCSB OR 4X4 LT
    Pelfreybilt Front Bumper,BAMF sliders, Airflow Snorkel,Mini D2S Retrofits, ADS Rear Shocks, Deaver U402 Leafsprings, 35s, AllPro +2LT
    id go with this. get a fuel pressure gauge to test with.

i had my old 240 do the exact same thing. slight throttle the car would rev up fine, but any more and it would miss and eventually stop climbing rpms.

9. Jan 20, 2014 at 5:40 PM
    prerunner88

prerunner88 [OP] Member

Member:
    california
    Vehicle:
    01 prerunner sr5 2.7
    i ordered a full service Manuel and borrowed a fuel pressure gauge i will try that out tomorrow and let you guys know. thanks

10. Jan 23, 2014 at 5:33 PM
    prerunner88

prerunner88 [OP] Member

Member:
    california
    Vehicle:
    01 prerunner sr5 2.7
    Well today we checked mass airflow, throttle position sensor, vacuum system pressure, fuel system pressure, and some other things and still no luck finding the problem. Everything is in perfect working order. At a loss as to what is causing this so it's going to the shop for a full diagnostics tomorrow. Cross my fingers they can tell me something I don't already know. Here goes my next paycheck. I will let you know what I find. Sounds like I'm not the only one who has had this problem.

11. Jan 28, 2014 at 6:46 PM
    prerunner88

prerunner88 [OP] Member

Member:
    california
    Vehicle:
    01 prerunner sr5 2.7
    Got it figured out today. It ended up being a pinched fuel line above the fuel tank in the rubber hose. somehow it came loos from its clips and got pushed up above the fuel tank and pinched. Suspicious how that would have happened but its fixed now. My local shop was trying to tell me it was a bad mass air flow sensor and a plugged catalytic converter but thankfully it was a simple fix. Thanks for all your suggestions.

12. Jan 28, 2014 at 7:14 PM
    bsb120

bsb120 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Easley, South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCLB TRD SPORT
    ok sorry if this sounds stupid but, do you have any amps in the truck? you possibly need to check the ground of your truck going from the negative battery to the frame, it sounds stupid but I have heard that a week or bad ground can cause some awful problems

Products Discussed in

To Top