1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ride height reference questions

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 4toys, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Jan 20, 2014 at 8:20 AM
    4toys

4toys [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lexington, VA
    Vehicle:
    00 xCab TRD 4x4 3.4 MT
    5100's @2.5, AAL
    Searched "ride height reference" and didn't get much info. Truck is a 2000 TRD 4x4 3.4 manual with 185k on the clock. New to me last month - so far have changed fluids, cleaned MAF, and replaced filters, plugs, A/F sensor, and center support bearing. Now to the suspension:

Have bought a full set of 5100's but need to determine rear ride height before installing, so the front can be matched up. The leaves are frowning slightly and allow these unloaded dimensions:

--wheel center to top of bed: 33.5"
    --bump stop to frame pad: 4"
    --rear of frame to front of frame along the straight bottom: 3/4" rake

With a medium load of firewood she hits the stops on slight bumps or attitude changes, so something must be done to help the leaf packs. The goal here is decent load capacity with a nice ride. I've read here about AAL's, new packs, Timbrens, air bags, etc. With limited funds, OMD's Chevy leaf mod is the most appealing fix. A nearby spring shop quoted $300 for their AAL and admitted that she would ride a lot harsher.

As far as the front goes, the rake #'s above suggest that the coils will need replacing, too. No added front weight is planned other than a set of fog lights.

So now the questions:

--Can other members please furnish their ride height dimensions with various rear spring fixes? Comments on ride comfort are good, too.
    --Will Eibachs or similar stiffen the front ride too much, or should I just replace with oem progressive coils?

All measurements/opinions welcomed,

4toys

Products Discussed in

To Top