Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Engine Rebuild Value??????

Old 01-20-2014, 01:10 PM   #1
TacoSurfer has much to be proud ofTacoSurfer has much to be proud ofTacoSurfer has much to be proud ofTacoSurfer has much to be proud ofTacoSurfer has much to be proud ofTacoSurfer has much to be proud ofTacoSurfer has much to be proud ofTacoSurfer has much to be proud ofTacoSurfer has much to be proud ofTacoSurfer has much to be proud of
Name: Chris
TacoSurfer's Tacoma Gallery
Engine Rebuild Value??????

Im looking to sell my 2001 tacoma after I find an 07/08 with a little more space and I was wondering if you can ask more than Blue Book if you have had your engine rebuilt? I have all the paperwork to prove what was done and how much I paid. I was thinking maybe ask half the value I paid? My truck is now at 313,000 miles and had it rebuilt at 260,000 or so so the engine is basically just broken in.
thanks,
-Chris
Old 01-20-2014, 01:13 PM   #2
Wait for it...
StAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: SWO
StAndrew's Tacoma Gallery
Check the bb site and click on rebuilt title.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:17 PM   #3
Peanut butter mini time
Phil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phil
Phil Dammit's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSurfer View Post
Im looking to sell my 2001 tacoma after I find an 07/08 with a little more space and I was wondering if you can ask more than Blue Book if you have had your engine rebuilt? I have all the paperwork to prove what was done and how much I paid. I was thinking maybe ask half the value I paid? My truck is now at 313,000 miles and had it rebuilt at 260,000 or so so the engine is basically just broken in.
thanks,
-Chris
Chris, I would be hard pressed to say that 73k on a gasoline motor constitutes 'just broken in'. With that said, unless you have a salvage title you should be totally fine with asking more for it as long as the condition of the interior and exterior deem worthy.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:19 PM   #4
Wait for it...
StAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Dammit View Post
Chris, I would be hard pressed to say that 73k on a gasoline motor constitutes 'just broken in'. With that said, unless you have a salvage title you should be totally fine with asking more for it as long as the condition of the interior and exterior deem worthy.

He should have a rebuilt title.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:21 PM   #5
Peanut butter mini time
Phil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndrew View Post
For a rebuilt motor? Dafuq? I didn get a salvaged/rebuilt title when I rebuilt the head on my 1990.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:28 PM   #6
Sacrifice is one of the sharper tools in the shedSacrifice is one of the sharper tools in the shedSacrifice is one of the sharper tools in the shedSacrifice is one of the sharper tools in the shedSacrifice is one of the sharper tools in the shedSacrifice is one of the sharper tools in the shedSacrifice is one of the sharper tools in the shedSacrifice is one of the sharper tools in the shedSacrifice is one of the sharper tools in the shedSacrifice is one of the sharper tools in the shedSacrifice is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sacrifice's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Dammit View Post
For a rebuilt motor? Dafuq? I didn get a salvaged/rebuilt title when I rebuilt the head on my 1990.
you should not have a rebuilt title just for rebuilding a motor. rebuilding a motor doesnt effect a title in any way.

a rebuilt title is for a vehicle that was salvaged and "rebuilt" to be road worthy.

either way, i think the motor refresh will add some value depending on the rest of the truck, but i wouldnt count on it being more than $1500 more. all depends on finding the right buyer though
Old 01-20-2014, 01:29 PM   #7
Peanut butter mini time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacrifice View Post
you should not have a rebuilt title just for rebuilding a motor. rebuilding a motor doesnt effect a title in any way.

a rebuilt title is for a vehicle that was salvaged and "rebuilt" to be road worthy.

either way, i think the motor refresh will add some value depending on the rest of the truck, but i wouldnt count on it being more than $1500 more. all depends on finding the right buyer though
Exactly.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:51 PM   #8
Wait for it...

I think it depends on the State ... I could be wrong.

I wouldn't think it would add value though...
Old 01-20-2014, 05:02 PM   #9
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Check the bb site and click on rebuilt title.
Not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacrifice View Post

100% correct. No state in the US requires that a vehicle with a rebuilt engine get a "rebuilt" title. Those are only for vehicles that have had previously flagged or "totalled" titles, and have then had the VEHICLE rebuilt.

On average when you are looking at trying to come up with a fair price for selling your truck with a rebuilt engine I have found the following formula to be pretty accurate:

Run KBB for the vehicle with it's current mileage. (313,000)
Run KBB for the same vehicle with the mileage before the rebuild. (260,000)

Now add the two values, and divide by two. This will be a fair asking price. Why this formula? Because while the ENGINE only has 56k miles or so on it, the rest of the truck still has 313K miles. The engine is just a small part of the major wear components. The transmission still has 313k, as well as the rest of the drivetrain and body/frame/interrior.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:16 AM   #10
TacoSurfer has much to be proud ofTacoSurfer has much to be proud ofTacoSurfer has much to be proud ofTacoSurfer has much to be proud ofTacoSurfer has much to be proud ofTacoSurfer has much to be proud ofTacoSurfer has much to be proud ofTacoSurfer has much to be proud ofTacoSurfer has much to be proud ofTacoSurfer has much to be proud of
BamaToy- The difference in those Mileages is like $70 on KBB. Is it too much to ask around half the amount I paid for the rebuild? Rest of the truck is in good-very good shape. Everything on the truck works perfectly except the low fuel light.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:24 AM   #11
OldPhart
bldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bldegle2's Tacoma Gallery
You can try and get more, but, in reality, the net worth of the truck has not been enhanced that much...your insurance company would not even consider the rebuilt motor if it got totaled in a wreck...

It is what it is in the used vehicle arena..

BTW, how much did you shell out for the engine rebuild?
Old 01-21-2014, 09:27 AM   #12
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bldegle2 View Post
You can try and get more, but, in reality, the net worth of the truck has not been enhanced that much...your insurance company would not even consider the rebuilt motor if it got totaled in a wreck...

It is what it is in the used vehicle arena..

BTW, how much did you shell out for the engine rebuild?
x2, you can ask whatever you like, disclose that the engine was rebuilt but, at the end of the day, the rest of the truck still has 313k miles on it. You might add a little more value because of the rebuild but I wouldn't plan on it amounting to a whole lot.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:28 AM   #13
Was supposed to be $2400 but they took longer than supposed to so I got it done for $1800.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:47 PM   #14
OldPhart
bldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bldegle2's Tacoma Gallery
that is pretty cheap, especially since you paid someone else to do it.... what exactly was done/replaced?