Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Rock slider soon. What are your recommendations?

View Poll Results: Which would you recommend?
All Pro 12 9.38%
BAMF 61 47.66%
cbi 7 5.47%
Elite 4 3.13%
Relentless Fab 6 4.69%
Other (PLEASE SPECIFY) 38 29.69%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-20-2014, 11:52 PM   #21
Banned
Black Pipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Pipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Pipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Pipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Pipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Pipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Pipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Pipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Pipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Pipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Pipe is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Black Pipe's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post
Humm over 500 sets sold with not a single return so I don't know what your talking about not fitting. My sliders fit just fine, damage from shipping has nothing to do with the sliders. And poor design? To each their own I guess.
If a slider can't hold up to abuse from shipping it surely won't hold up on the trail. I have never seen a slider that mounts with 1/64" clearance between pinch weld. Returning sliders for 150 shipping fee, of course nobody would return them, better off selling them for scrap. It took NASA several months to figure out why the challenger failed, give it time.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:59 PM   #22
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Pipe View Post
If a slider can't hold up to abuse from shipping it surely won't hold up on the trail. I have never seen a slider that mounts with 1/64" clearance between pinch weld. Returning sliders for 150 shipping fee, of course nobody would return them, better off selling them for scrap. It took NASA several months to figure out why the challenger failed, give it time.

Sounds like a troll to me ^ not feeding it.

Sorry for clogging up your thread OP.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:17 AM   #23
Sigi is a splendid one to beholdSigi is a splendid one to beholdSigi is a splendid one to beholdSigi is a splendid one to beholdSigi is a splendid one to beholdSigi is a splendid one to beholdSigi is a splendid one to behold
Name: Sigi
Sigi's Tacoma Gallery
Shrockworks ! They made great products . What I like about them is that they don't stick out too much. Just enough to do the job. Check them out.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:19 AM   #24
Banned
Black Pipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Pipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Pipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Pipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Pipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Pipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Pipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Pipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Pipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Pipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Pipe is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:

Understandable. You have to be honest with yourself before you are honest with your customers. What I've seen in person with more than one of your products is enough proof for me though.

Back to the voting, sorry for momentary derailment OP!
Old 01-21-2014, 12:24 AM   #25
"Not all those who wander are lost"
Traction120 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTraction120 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTraction120 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTraction120 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTraction120 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTraction120 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTraction120 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTraction120 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTraction120 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTraction120 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTraction120 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic, Search and Rescue, Wildland Firefighting
Name: Nathan
Traction120's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Relentless signature 2 piece kickouts FTW...

BAMF is great also, amazing craftsmanship on all of his products.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:24 AM   #26
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
When I get sliders I'm going with 4x innovations kick out, expanded metal option, and DOM.
No disrespect to Jerry, Tyler or any of the other fab companies that do really quality work, but I could only get a base model slider for the same price as the optioned out 4x inno sliders.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:26 AM   #27
PcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brent
PcBuilder14's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, it helps that companies like 4xinnovations mass produces them when companies like BAMF, Relentless, and Elite make them individually. That's the only reason they are cheaper, which sucks because I'd love to give any of those guys my business instead.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:29 AM   #28
"Not all those who wander are lost"
Traction120 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTraction120 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTraction120 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTraction120 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTraction120 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTraction120 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTraction120 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTraction120 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTraction120 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTraction120 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTraction120 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic, Search and Rescue, Wildland Firefighting
Name: Nathan
Traction120's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PcBuilder14 View Post
Yeah, it helps that companies like 4xinnovations mass produces them when companies like BAMF, Relentless, and Elite make them individually. That's the only reason they are cheaper, which sucks because I'd love to give any of those guys my business instead.
All of our lead times are getting lower and lower. Personally, and even before I worked for relentless, I would never sacrifice quality for the sake of time.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:31 AM   #29
PcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brent
PcBuilder14's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traction120 View Post
All of our lead times are getting lower and lower. Personally, and even before I worked for relentless, I would never sacrifice quality for the sake of time.
I'd say quality is the same, just depends on what type of metal you order for your sliders. And I can still say I'd rather wait 2-3 weeks and save money then spend more with 5 month wait time, sorry if that came out rude...
Old 01-21-2014, 01:50 AM   #30
curmudgeon
Pliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: they call me Bruce
Pliny's Tacoma Gallery
I have BAMF sliders, mostly due to the echo chamber on this site and perceived savings with a GB.

If I were to do it again I'd probably get something else. The reason? Cost (cheaper comparable options), wait time (didn't come in time for a trip), and damage during shipping (kind of sucks to have damaged sliders before you even get to the rocks; which then, doesn't inspire confidence). The design seems pretty good - angle / shape flows well with the truck curves and they fit fine on my 03 xtracab. Yes, the gussets are pretty darn close to the pinch weld. Sort of a mixed bag on that one - would rather have bigger gussets than protect the pinch weld which self clearances anyways. IMO of course. So far they haven't exploded or anything, but no big hits yet. No issues supporting the vehicle's weight....

Anyways, I voted other. Given that these are welded to the truck, I really hope to never have to use anything else. And, it's not that I'm entirely unhappy with them. But, if for some reason I ended up building up another taco I would probably get 4x if welded or CBI if bolt-on (really cool mounting method).

My data point anyways.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:34 AM   #31
Banned
Maybe if BAMF used a shipping company that didn't slap around shit like a $2 hooker or he added gussets to the shipping package like how he built that Swiss cheese setup for his rear axle on his truck they would be shipped without fear of damage, that would be "BAMF"
Old 01-21-2014, 06:47 AM   #32
Sloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Seth
Sloth's Tacoma Gallery
Voted BAMF. A bunch of locals run them without problems. I just received mine a few weeks ago. No problems with damage shipping then across country. Only issue is the mounting hardware got lost on route, which is out of Jerrys control. I've talked to him and emailed him and he's always very responsive and great to deal with.

Any slider can get damaged during shipping, it has nothing to do with build quality. It's not the vendors fault the freight company is not careful/ stacks other shit on top of them, etc...

A few locals also run the 4x sliders and they work just fine as well getting beat on.

I choose BAMF because I don't have a welder and could get bolt on for a first gen, as well as hearing great things about Jerrys customer service from locals.

That being said since you have access to a welder I think its honestly just which one you like the look of best. I think any of the vendors here make a quality product and you can't really go wrong whomever you choose.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:55 AM   #33
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Maybe if BAMF used a shipping company that didn't slap around shit like a $2 hooker or he added gussets to the shipping package like how he built that Swiss cheese setup for his rear axle on his truck they would be shipped without fear of damage, that would be "BAMF"

Ya'll don't worry about clouding up my thread. I asked for honest and specific answers from personal experience. Since I sell a product as well I know that shit happens and sometimes people are not pleased with everything. I am not as worried about small dings and dents from shipping. Hell, it adds character before they even get installed. I am not worried too much about appearance. As mentioned, these WILL get abused. I am not light on the trail, and this truck is slowly being converted to handle expeditions. Eventually (I am thinking 5 years?) I will have her built for a 2 week road trip I want to take to Alaska. I need parts that FUNCTION, not always look pretty. That being said, I would prefer the comments to be centralized around some specific factors. Perhaps I should have been specific when I opened the thread, but sometimes answers beget questions. So let us include this:

It must be capable of minimal, but acceptable deflection when wheel may slide off a rock, slamming the weight of the truck on the slider.

It must be weld-on

It must be round tubing

More requirements may be added as I learn more. You all know by now I don't just go out and buy something. I want to learn about it first so that I know what I am investing in. So keep the info and suggestions coming. I have to admit from the actual count, it looks like the majority of people are voting for 4X4 innovations. I have never actually looked at their products. I guess I will, so that I can be fair in my judgment.

J Lee, I admit that while I have shared a few discussions with you in other threads, I tend to see many of your posts as condescending. Now it may just be my perception since text does not always convey emotion, or humor at all. (I assume that is why we have smilies! ) That being said, I do value your knowledge when it comes to metal fabrication. So if YOU were to personally make a recommendation of a slider by someone OTHER than who you work for/with, which would you recommend? Why? For those who ARE fabricators and are posting here, why do you recommend your product over others?

While I am not saying price is not an object, I will say that certain things you SHOULD consider spending the extra money on to get a quality product. I mean I could buy the super-cheap bearings for my assemblies and save the guys a ton of money. But I would be selling an inferior product. So let's hear the pros and cons on the sliders themselves, and less about the individual sellers. Then I can ask about reputation. You can have the greatest reputation in the world, but if the sliders don't do what I want, it is a waste of time.

Thanks again for all of the input from EVERYONE.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:02 AM   #34
"old Brett", Tour Guide
BDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
BDN's Tacoma Gallery
I'm in the market for sliders too, so kudo's for starting this thread.
After reading through and seeing the pics, I really like the 4xinnovations sliders with the expanded metal filler.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:40 AM   #35
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
I have BAMF sliders, mostly due to the echo chamber on this site and perceived savings with a GB.

If I were to do it again I'd probably get something else. The reason? Cost (cheaper comparable options), wait time (didn't come in time for a trip), and damage during shipping (kind of sucks to have damaged sliders before you even get to the rocks; which then, doesn't inspire confidence). The design seems pretty good - angle / shape flows well with the truck curves and they fit fine on my 03 xtracab. Yes, the gussets are pretty darn close to the pinch weld. Sort of a mixed bag on that one - would rather have bigger gussets than protect the pinch weld which self clearances anyways. IMO of course. So far they haven't exploded or anything, but no big hits yet. No issues supporting the vehicle's weight....

Anyways, I voted other. Given that these are welded to the truck, I really hope to never have to use anything else. And, it's not that I'm entirely unhappy with them. But, if for some reason I ended up building up another taco I would probably get 4x if welded or CBI if bolt-on (really cool mounting method).

My data point anyways.
Sorry for the shipping mishaps timmy it is really out of our hands. We ship the same way and with the same companies that meny other vendors do and sliders are heavy so they are treated like crap sometimes. All of our shipments are insured so UPS and Conway will cover damages if they happen. As for the gussets it's up to the installer to set the gap on weld on sliders if the gussets are too close to the pinch weld they were installed too high.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:53 AM   #36
The Man!

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
Ya'll don't worry about clouding up my thread. I asked for honest and specific answers from personal experience. Since I sell a product as well I know that shit happens and sometimes people are not pleased with everything. I am not as worried about small dings and dents from shipping. Hell, it adds character before they even get installed. I am not worried too much about appearance. As mentioned, these WILL get abused. I am not light on the trail, and this truck is slowly being converted to handle expeditions. Eventually (I am thinking 5 years?) I will have her built for a 2 week road trip I want to take to Alaska. I need parts that FUNCTION, not always look pretty. That being said, I would prefer the comments to be centralized around some specific factors. Perhaps I should have been specific when I opened the thread, but sometimes answers beget questions. So let us include this:

It must be capable of minimal, but acceptable deflection when wheel may slide off a rock, slamming the weight of the truck on the slider.

It must be weld-on

It must be round tubing

More requirements may be added as I learn more. You all know by now I don't just go out and buy something. I want to learn about it first so that I know what I am investing in. So keep the info and suggestions coming. I have to admit from the actual count, it looks like the majority of people are voting for 4X4 innovations. I have never actually looked at their products. I guess I will, so that I can be fair in my judgment.

J Lee, I admit that while I have shared a few discussions with you in other threads, I tend to see many of your posts as condescending. Now it may just be my perception since text does not always convey emotion, or humor at all. (I assume that is why we have smilies! ) That being said, I do value your knowledge when it comes to metal fabrication. So if YOU were to personally make a recommendation of a slider by someone OTHER than who you work for/with, which would you recommend? Why? For those who ARE fabricators and are posting here, why do you recommend your product over others?

While I am not saying price is not an object, I will say that certain things you SHOULD consider spending the extra money on to get a quality product. I mean I could buy the super-cheap bearings for my assemblies and save the guys a ton of money. But I would be selling an inferior product. So let's hear the pros and cons on the sliders themselves, and less about the individual sellers. Then I can ask about reputation. You can have the greatest reputation in the world, but if the sliders don't do what I want, it is a waste of time.

Thanks again for all of the input from EVERYONE.

I voted other Because you want all round tube sliders and i don't build those. 4x would be a good option for you as they are closer and the cost is lower. I would get their hybrid sliders they just came out with as the hybrid design is stronger then full round tube sliders. I personally think my 1st gen DOM sliders with a kick are the strongest on the market. From these factors the design of the outer rail allows more connections with the main square tube. The main tube is 2x2 square witch is stronger then the 1.75 round. Square does dent easier then round that is why we turn the tube on its side so the corner of the tube is what contacts the objects.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:59 AM   #37
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I voted other Because you want all round tube sliders and i don't build those. 4x would be a good option for you as they are closer and the cost is lower. I would get their hybrid sliders they just came out with as the hybrid design is stronger then full round tube sliders. I personally think my 1st gen DOM sliders with a kick are the strongest on the market. From these factors the design of the outer rail allows more connections with the main square tube. The main tube is 2x2 square witch is stronger then the 1.75 round. Square does dent easier then round that is why we turn the tube on its side so the corner of the tube is what contacts the objects.
Good information there. Let me ask you this, just so I can learn more. I have seen square based sliders on trucks before, and the biggest complaint was that the square part has corners obviously, and that these corners would hang up on rocks making it difficult to truly "slide" along rocks in some situations such as sideways because the corners would "hang". For this reason I have ruled out any square designs. I will admit that I am open to discussion here. What can you tell me about the differences, other than strength. I want strength, and this alone may make me reconsider the base design. Convince me.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:05 AM   #38
andrew8404 is one of the sharper tools in the shedandrew8404 is one of the sharper tools in the shedandrew8404 is one of the sharper tools in the shedandrew8404 is one of the sharper tools in the shedandrew8404 is one of the sharper tools in the shedandrew8404 is one of the sharper tools in the shedandrew8404 is one of the sharper tools in the shedandrew8404 is one of the sharper tools in the shedandrew8404 is one of the sharper tools in the shedandrew8404 is one of the sharper tools in the shedandrew8404 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: 2 Battalion 4th Marines
Name: ANDREW
andrew8404's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I have no idea what your talking about. LOVE MY BAMF sliders!Rock slider soon. What are your recommendations?-uploadfromtaptalk1390316701252.jpg
Old 01-21-2014, 08:09 AM   #39
TacoBurrito07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBurrito07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBurrito07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBurrito07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBurrito07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBurrito07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBurrito07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBurrito07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBurrito07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBurrito07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBurrito07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
TacoBurrito07's Tacoma Gallery
Avid offroad
Old 01-21-2014, 08:12 AM   #40
The Man!

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
Good information there. Let me ask you this, just so I can learn more. I have seen square based sliders on trucks before, and the biggest complaint was that the square part has corners obviously, and that these corners would hang up on rocks making it difficult to truly "slide" along rocks in some situations such as sideways because the corners would "hang". For this reason I have ruled out any square designs. I will admit that I am open to discussion here. What can you tell me about the differences, other than strength. I want strength, and this alone may make me reconsider the base design. Convince me.
I see what your saying about the corners I have never had an issue with sliding on my sliders. Where are you thinking you would hang up on? I personally think the hybrid design looks better than full round but that's personal preference. Other then looks and being stronger there is not much more to sell you on the hybrid slider.