1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

NEW Chinese 2.7 3RZ ?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Dustrider, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Jan 26, 2014 at 12:32 AM
    fast5speed

fast5speed Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Washington D.C.
    Vehicle:
    2005 Access Cab 5speed 4cyl 4x4 SR5
    Harbor Freight has come a long way since then. They actually offer and honor lifetime warranties on most of their tools. They are even easier to deal with than Sears with Craftsman. I broke a ratchet and they gave me an entire new set (ratchet and sockets). Cashier walked over to the shelf, handed it to me and I walked out the door.

HF has come a long way, but I still don't buy anything with a cylinder from them. That being said...some (few, but some) of their ratchets and hand tools have held up better than some of my craftsman ratchets.

2. Jan 26, 2014 at 4:47 AM
    TacoMX

TacoMX TW's Official anti body-lift pundit

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Deltona, Florida
    Harbor freight is a joke. Some...like a few, of their tools may be okay...but in general I wouldn't buy HF tools to work on a wagon.

3. Jan 26, 2014 at 10:13 AM
    Rickalders

Rickalders Well-Known Member

Member:
    There may be a few good products that come from China but the country's "business model" if you will is to reproduce quality designs using inferior processes and sell said items at a lower price. Granted all iPhones come from China, but the company overseeing and directing is American (Apple).

As far as engines, tools, etc. the metallurgy of Chinese metals is also far inferior. If you don't have good metal to begin with, it doesn't matter how awesome or modern the tooling or design is. Whether tools, engines, or guns, Chinese metal products are not great quality. Can anyone name one Chinese product (produced by a domestic Chinese company) that is superior to its Japanese, American, German, etc. counterpart?

4. Jan 26, 2014 at 10:35 AM
    fast5speed

fast5speed Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Washington D.C.
    Vehicle:
    2005 Access Cab 5speed 4cyl 4x4 SR5
    and you think this doesn't occur with any other products????

Not sure I can. Seeing as how nothing is made in America, Germany, or Japan anymore. Japanese car makers outsourced to America, China, Canada. American car makers outsourced to Mexico, Turkey, etc. German auto makers outsourced to Mexico.

5. Jan 26, 2014 at 11:26 AM
    Dustrider

Dustrider [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Hillsboro Oregon
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma 4x4 2.7
    Because of environmental restriction and energy costs in Japan, I highly doubt that there is much foundry work happening in Japan these days.
    It could be entirely plausible that these motors are built in the very same factory that produces motor elements for Toyota Honda, Hyundai etc.
    Just like any other product, Quality Control management is the key to quality
    Good labor and natural resources are worldwide, management of quality is a tightrope tug of war. I know this firsthand because I oversee structural quality control of large commercial building projects done by huge international corporations and know how many structural flaws (some fatal) that the buildings would have if I wasn't there performing due dilligence and constantly engaged in a battle of wits to coax the workers to conform with standard building codes, with the workers under a pressurized schedule.....and this is right here in the USA earthquake zone

I would really like to hear about how these motors are doing. It would be interesting if someone broke a few down at random to check tolerances and do some ultrasound metal testing or even destructive testing.
    If one of the sellers had an impartial independent test lab review published that came out favorable, I bet these things would start flying off the shelf.
    There must be a huge worldwide market for these 3RZ motors as they are standard issue Taliban and Al Qaeda Army trucks, and used all over the world. Maybe Toyota did a marketing survey and decided to start mass production under a shadow ........
    just a thought

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  6. Jan 26, 2014 at 4:22 PM
    Card1

Card1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia!
    Vehicle:
    96 taquito
    Doestch Spindles
    Nah, just be awesome and find a wrecked 4runner and pull out it's sr5 :D

7. Feb 12, 2014 at 5:14 PM
    Dustrider

Dustrider [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Hillsboro Oregon
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma 4x4 2.7
    lucked out and got a used 2.7 3rz out of a crash totalled 2004 prerunner with 105,000 miles from a private party $1200
    runs smooth and quiet, purrs like a kitty
    dodged the bullet
    back in the saddle

Products Discussed in

To Top