Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

NEW Chinese 2.7 3RZ ?

Old 01-20-2014, 07:13 PM   #1
Dustrider is on a distinguished road
Name: Dave
Dustrider's Tacoma Gallery
NEW Chinese 2.7 3RZ ?

Has anyone tried the New Harbor Freight motors from China yet ?
evidently you can get an all NEW 2.7 3rzmotor for $2100 FOB

KINDA SCARY

ANYONE ? ........
Bueller ?

I blew a head gasket and it hydrolocked when I pulled over
so I believe its time to spin the wheel of fortune on a strange motor

used, rebuilt or chink-a-dink ?

Hesitant to go rebuilt unless I do the work
too many forgotten wristpin clips or mismatched bearing caps to want to roll the dice again
Old 01-20-2014, 07:15 PM   #2
Vaginas are rad.
Boone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Boone's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustrider View Post
Has anyone tried the New Harbor Freight motors from China yet ?
evidently you can get an all NEW 2.7 3rzmotor for $2100 FOB

KINDA SCARY

ANYONE ? ........
Bueller ?

I blew a head gasket and it hydrolocked when I pulled over
so I believe its time to spin the wheel of fortune on a strange motor

used, rebuilt or chink-a-dink ?

dont trust rebuilt unless I do the work
too many forgotten wristpins or mismatched bearing caps to want to roll the dice again
Sounds like you already made your decision.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:24 PM   #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boone Taco View Post
Sounds like you already made your decision.
Not really,
no place to do the work myself so I am at the mercy of the butchers
Its a matter of cost and risk reduction now
all options are a gamble
I am in the Portland OR area now
Old 01-20-2014, 07:28 PM   #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
Harbor Fright has motors? what.
that bit about harbor freight was cynical sarcasm,
there are all new motors out of china, reproductions of the 2RZ and 3RZ they have been around about 2 years but I have not heard about the reliability and not sure I want to be the first to try it
Old 01-20-2014, 07:41 PM   #6
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Either have the current engine rebuilt by a machine shop you or a trusted friend have personal experience/knowledge of, or roll the dice on a low mileage, original engine out of a wrecked vehicle.

The vehicle must have been running in order to get wrecked. The gamble is on what kind of running condition it was in, and what might have been damaged in the wreck. I am willing to take this gamble over the alternatives you suggested........

Chinese knockoff of an ENGINE? Not a chance for me.

Rebuilt engines from a mass rebuilder or auto parts store? Not for me, I've sold them all, and every single rebuilder embarrassed me at least once. The odds are not good.

I've heard of and seen ridiculous failures that were the result of our local machine shops' (multiple different ones) lack of attention to detail. Nobody wanted to own the problems either.

Best bet is brand new from the dealer ($$$$$$). Probably not an option for most of us, would cost more than the bluebook on the truck probably.

Good used out of a wreck has worked for many people. Try to at least get an inspection and some type of warranty. I'd want to pull a valve cover since we are dealing with an engine that is out of production and probably 10 years old at this point.

Good luck. Crappy place to be in.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:55 PM   #7
DJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DJB1's Tacoma Gallery
If you buy Chinese your engine will be doooooomed! Doooooooooooooooomed!
Old 01-20-2014, 08:04 PM   #8
Wait for it...
StAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: SWO
Name: Chris
StAndrew's Tacoma Gallery
I would get a used ebay engine for about half that...
Old 01-20-2014, 08:05 PM   #9
GoForBroke is on a distinguished road
GoForBroke's Tacoma Gallery
Are these the engines you are talking about? I don't know where they come from or anything about this place or its motors but they are in LaCenter WA about 20 mins north of Portland.
http://www.yotashop.com/2rz-3rz/
Old 01-20-2014, 09:29 PM   #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoForBroke View Post
Are these the engines you are talking about? I don't know where they come from or anything about this place or its motors but they are in LaCenter WA about 20 mins north of Portland.
http://www.yotashop.com/2rz-3rz/
No,
don't think so, those look like rebuilt , small backwoods shop, they might be pretty good

I mean these kind there are a few sellers on the west coast )
http://www.toyotatruckengine.com/199...-4runner-t100/
or :
http://www.japanengine.com/products/...&search=&page=

never heard from anyone who tried them
Old 01-21-2014, 07:21 AM   #12
"old Brett", Tour Guide
BDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
BDN's Tacoma Gallery
I would avoid these like the plague. Chinese clones are not good quality. You own a Toyota because of the quality.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:22 PM   #14
Rickalders is on a distinguished road
Rickalders's Tacoma Gallery
I'd go for a wrecked vehicle's engine over anything Chinese. Honestly, you'd have to do some very serious damage to harm a block and head in a crash so if that's all you're changing I think you'd be pretty safe with one out of a wrecker. Harbor Freight is great for cheap crap that you're going to use a couple times (there are a few gems...like their milling presses...but these are few and far between). For an engine that I'd use everyday, I'd avoid it personally. Chinese manufacturers are renown for copying great designs with crappy materials and workmanship to create an inferior product people buy then regret buying.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:27 PM   #15
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hesitant to go rebuilt unless I do the work
too many forgotten wristpin clips or mismatched bearing caps to want to roll the dice again
Yet you would be willing to consider a 100% completely unknown product from China?

Used engines from Japan aren't much more than the Chinese engine.
They're typically low miles... engines changed out because of Japanese emissions laws. Not sure how common a used Japanese 3RZ is though, but I would trust a rebuild from East LA before I'd trust a Chinese "new" engine.

I only buy from Harbor Freight if I don't expect to use something more than once.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:30 PM   #16
Jesus thinks you suck too
Frkypunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrkypunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrkypunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrkypunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrkypunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrkypunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrkypunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrkypunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrkypunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrkypunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrkypunk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Timmy
Frkypunk's Tacoma Gallery
The lamp in my house the cat broke was made in china..the chair I broke at our bar was made in china...the toy my little girl almost choked on...made in china. I am all about being thrifty but china can keep the the knockoff crap they send us and take wall-mart with it! Buy second hand Japanese!
Old 01-25-2014, 10:38 PM   #17
I scored a 100% complete take out 3RZ from a crashed 2004 with 100,500 miles has everything including the engine wire harness, computer and catalytic converter
Old 01-26-2014, 12:29 AM   #18
DSMJRV is on a distinguished road

Name: justin
DSMJRV's Tacoma Gallery
why would you pay moneys for a 3rz?
Old 01-26-2014, 12:49 AM   #19
fast5speed is on a distinguished road
Name: Matt
fast5speed's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I scored a 100% complete take out 3RZ from a crashed 2004 with 100,500 miles has everything including the engine wire harness, computer and catalytic converter
Good to hear. Hope you got a good price on it.

I think you make some decent, albeit arguable points, but there is way too much generalization going on here. You do understand that China has ~1.3 billion citizens, right? These phrases, "china makes junk", strongly imply that 'China' is like a single guy. That one product from china is the EXACT same quality as another Chinese product because, obviously, it was the EXACT same person making both of these products. A blender AND a Toyota replica motor.

I've become very impressed with some products made by this guy named China. I picked up a 150cc Chinese scooter for free off craigslist. It was a 2008 model that had been abandoned under a tree for 3 years. Full of bird poo and acorns. It had 4k miles (which is a LOT for a scooter, especially chinese). Damn if that sucker didn't start up on the first crank and ride flawlessly at 70mph. Sold it for $500 to someone who didn't want to pay $1500 for a Jap scooter.

Back to the original point, I would not buy this replica motor for $2100. As said above, there are cheaper, less complex solutions that ensure quality, as opposed to hoping for quality. Just wait though, they will become widespread.
Old 01-26-2014, 01:11 AM   #20
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
This guy named China is capable of making some very high quality items, if he is given the time, material, and tools to do so.

But in general, price and volume demands of US companies do not allow for it.

In the case of engines, many Chinese motorcycles and scooters are clones of the Honda XR engines. Hobby People/Global's "Magnum" RC airplane engines are clones of OS engines.
These engines are made from old tooling sold to this guy named China by Honda and OS.
So in some cases, the products may be nearly identical, in other cases, the parts are out of tolerance.

A company I worked for 20 years ago bought a compressor from Harbor Freight.
The piston seized within a week.
We tore it down, the piston was simply cast, not forged aluminum, and the cylinder was not sleeved.