Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Full float rear axle

Old 01-20-2014, 09:33 PM   #1
tacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacomataco2's Tacoma Gallery
Full float rear axle

Has anyone gone full float on their daily driver? I'm looking at the front range offroad kit, with the supra calipers to keep the e brake. I thought about a rear disc conversion kit from trail gear but this seems like a much better all around kit using toyota parts and making the rear bearings serviceable. I'm digging everything about the kit except the part where it's expensive as a diamond encrusted codpiece (would be tax deductible for me). Anyone know how the full float kit holds up to highway speeds?
Old 01-21-2014, 11:30 AM   #2
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
You shouldn't notice any difference in driving behavior with a full float and it will be a stronger setup than the semi-float axle. You're taking all the resting weight load off the bearings. Besides, if you break a rear axle on the trail the wheel/axle won't walk itself out of the axle housing and you can still drive it.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:56 AM   #3
"old Brett"
BDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
BDN's Tacoma Gallery
I've seen those Frofab full floater kits around here, they do fine down the highway and off road.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:34 PM   #4
tacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacomataco2's Tacoma Gallery
My main concern are vibrations, i just want to be sure i can still do 80 smoothly. Im pretty familiar with full floating axles like the 14 bolt on my dump truck.. I was kind of skeptical about a kit that adapts a semi floater to full.. Im gonna call them when they're voice mail box isn't full and ask a couple questions. I might make this a goal to do this summer
Old 01-21-2014, 03:18 PM   #5
"old Brett"
BDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
BDN's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomataco2 View Post
My main concern are vibrations, i just want to be sure i can still do 80 smoothly. Im pretty familiar with full floating axles like the 14 bolt on my dump truck.. I was kind of skeptical about a kit that adapts a semi floater to full.. Im gonna call them when they're voice mail box isn't full and ask a couple questions. I might make this a goal to do this summer
You will have better luck with e-mail, I have never gotten through on the phone.