Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Bounce when braking

Old 01-21-2014, 12:35 PM   #1
VintageFast will become famous soon enoughVintageFast will become famous soon enough
Name: Jim
VintageFast's Tacoma Gallery
Bounce when braking

Ok. So I have a stock suspension '02 DBL cab. When slowing for traffic on the freeway or exiting, etc. Between 50 and 40 mph my truck seems to bounce from what I think is the rear. If I'm coming down for a panic stop it's a hard bounce. Shocks are good with only about 30k on them and it did it before I replaced the shocks, Leafs are stock with almost 350K on them. The steering whell is not affected by the bounce. Rear drums out of round? I've never done a rear brake job on this truck since I bought it new.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:46 PM   #2
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Need more information.....

This only occurs while braking? What exactly is 'bouncing'??

Are you saying the rear of the truck is 'bouncing' up & down and shifting sideways?

Or are you saying you're feeling a 'thump'?

Does this happen ALL THE TIME while braking? Only when you first brake? Let off the brakes?

What happens if you just let off the gas (and no brake)?
Old 01-22-2014, 07:29 AM   #3
VintageFast will become famous soon enoughVintageFast will become famous soon enough
Name: Jim
VintageFast's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Need more information.....

This only occurs while braking? What exactly is 'bouncing'??

Are you saying the rear of the truck is 'bouncing' up & down and shifting sideways?

Or are you saying you're feeling a 'thump'?

Does this happen ALL THE TIME while braking? Only when you first brake? Let off the brakes?

What happens if you just let off the gas (and no brake)?

Only when braking.

Seems like the rear is bouncing up and down. No sideways action.

Only happens when braking and only happens between 40 and 50 mph.

If I let of the gas and coast, it is a very slight bounce (almost like a vibration)
Old 01-22-2014, 08:32 AM   #4
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Try lubing the rear drive shaft (all zerks).

Also, carefully inspect the rear leaf springs, one of them could have snapped, causing excessive axle-wrap when braking.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:04 AM   #5
Mod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Mod's Tacoma Gallery
350K?,,Rear drums/brakes due for service. That's your starting point. Once whatever shop does the work and the cutting tip on the drum lathe starts to take metal,,it will cut then skip a bare patch,,then cut again. This is the best way to show a warped drum. At 350K, it's probably due for some new brake components back there.

I have 208K on my rear drums,,original pads still look like new and no pulse when stopping.