1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bolt on upgrades vs low end torque

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Paulg443, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Jan 31, 2014 at 2:13 PM
    Paulg443

Paulg443 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Nipomo California
    Vehicle:
    04 prerunner sr5 v6
    K&n intake
    Okay well, I have a 3.4 tacoma with a k&n cold air intake, that being said, I have always wanted to install polished headers, polished y pipe, polished full exhaust.

After reviewing some 2nd gen posts stating the torque curve was destroyed, I'm worried about my low end torque.

Someone mentioned a ThrottleBody spacer cleaned up the curve and restored some low end, I can't justify a pretty exhaust system and no low end torque.

Any feed back would help before I start throwing my money at anything.

Thanks!!

2. Jan 31, 2014 at 2:31 PM
    presto

presto Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Topher
    san francisco
    Vehicle:
    2000 T4R 4x4
    Fully armored on 33’s
    I'm pretty sure that increasing the size of the exhaust will do that. but if you keep the pipes the same size you should have no problems. i just remember reading somewhere the factory designed the stock exhaust to the trucks specs so by changing the size of the exhaust you might take some of the back pressure away.
    i personally am about to throw my K&N filter out and switch back to the stock paper one. sure its more restrictive but since i put that k&n in I've had nothing but problems (lots of carbon/gunk build up in the throttle body and intake manifold/plenum etc.) I've had the filter for about 4 years and have cleaned it several times. I'm not 100% that the problems link back to the filter but after doing lots of research i think the k&n filter lets too much through it.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014

Products Discussed in

To Top