Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

gauge problems

Old 03-24-2009, 09:46 AM   #1
blkcoma32 will become famous soon enough

blkcoma32's Tacoma Gallery
gauge problems

My 98 SR5's speedo, tach,odometer, and cruise cut in and out, i think it is bump related but it has done it without hitting a bump. I can sometimes smack the top of the dash and get them to turn back on but a mile down the road they quit again. They just started cutting out every now and then about a month ago and now they very rarely work, except for when i hit the dash. It sounds like a loose wire but i really don't have any idea where to start looking. Has anyone else had this happen or have any suggestions? Thanks
Old 03-24-2009, 07:06 PM   #2

anyone?
Old 03-24-2009, 07:13 PM   #3
668: The Neighbor of the Beast
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Toy4Life's Tacoma Gallery
I have nothing to add, but it sounds like a loose wire to me as well.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:21 PM   #4
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 14S
dually's Tacoma Gallery
Check your grounds.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:22 PM   #5
EnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EnolaGaia's Tacoma Gallery
Do the temperature and / or fuel gauges 'drop out', too?

A short or wiring fault that causes interruption of power from the 15A Dome fuse (engine bay fuse box) or 10A Gauge fuse (lower left dash fuse box) might explain it, as would an occasional interruption in a ground line.

The power line from the 15A Dome fuse, along with a number of ECU connections, hook to the cluster unit via a common connector or junction somewhere, and a short / fault in that vicinity might also explain it.

A bad vehicle speed sensor (or wiring from it to the cluster) might also explain it.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:04 PM   #6

The temperature and fuel gauge do not cut out. check engine light just came on and it came up as the speed sensor code, does each wheel have a speed sensor? if so how do u tell which one is bad or has a bad wire?
Old 03-25-2009, 08:47 AM   #7
EnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Which speed sensor code was it? P0500? P1700? ....
Old 03-25-2009, 11:14 AM   #8

not sure but i will look again
Old 03-25-2009, 01:21 PM   #9
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dually's Tacoma Gallery
pretty sure the speed sensor is on the transmission.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:43 AM   #10

It is code P0500 and autozone told me that there is a sensor on the tranny which is 90 bucks and one on the wheels that is 180 bucks, im hoping it is a loose wire!
Old 03-27-2009, 10:14 AM   #11
I hate to break the news to you, but ....

Code P0500 relates to the ABS (wheel) sensor and not the tranny-mounted vehicle speed sensor. P0500 is triggered when the ECM fails to receive speed sensor readings. Possible causes include:

- short or other wiring fault in the speed signal circuit
- something wrong in the cluster
- the ECM itself
- short or other wiring fault in the ABS speed sensor circuit itself
- the ABS ECU
Old 03-28-2009, 12:32 PM   #12

i don't think i have abs? there is no wire on/around any of the wheels, is that possible or do they all have abs? what is the ECM?
Old 03-28-2009, 01:33 PM   #13
Low and slow

dually's Tacoma Gallery
ECM=ECU.. You probably dont have ABS
Old 03-30-2009, 07:18 PM   #14

so why is my truck throwimg the abs sensor code when i dont have ABS?!?