1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rattle in Passenger Side Door Area

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Bre2tSco2t, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Mar 24, 2009 at 11:13 AM
    Bre2tSco2t

Bre2tSco2t [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Bedrug, Access Limited Tonneau, Tailgate Clamp, Manual Pop&Lock Keyed and Painted to Match, Westin 3" Nerf Bars, 20" Chrome Wheels.
    Ok, I have recently got an 04 dbl cab. Sweet ride and Super Sweet deal. I noticed that there is a small rattle in the passenger door area. I thought it may be the frame/track (if such exists) that holds the glass inside the door. I thought this because of the tone of the rattle sounded glass like. It does not do it all the time. I then noticed that when I hear the rattling, that the passenger side mirror is vibrating. The entire chrome shell, not the mirror inside. So, I tried tightening the one screw that is closest to the window, and the three under the mirror in the bracket that attaches the mirror to the door. They were all tight and did not fix the problem. The mirror frame moves a little, but not any more than the driver’s side mirror, yet it is the only thing I think is rattling. The black piece that holds the mirror to the door seems to be very tight, no movement.

I have done some TW searches and not found this issue, So is anyone else had something like this? If all the mirror screws are tight, why is it moving / vibrating? Any ideas on how to fix the mirror? Or do you know where else I should look for the culprit? Thanks so much.

2. Mar 29, 2009 at 5:09 AM
    Bre2tSco2t

Member:
    Alabama
    Bedrug, Access Limited Tonneau, Tailgate Clamp, Manual Pop&Lock Keyed and Painted to Match, Westin 3" Nerf Bars, 20" Chrome Wheels.
    Bump, With additional Information. Last night while riding around, I believe I have narrowed down the location. It is not in the mirror. I believe it is in the door, just behind the top speaker. If I place my hand there, I can feel a tapping. If I move my hand father away from this spot, the FEEL of tapping goes away. Behind meaning, towards the seat belt, not towards the dash.

So two questions, what is behind there that can be loose and moving? How do I remove the door panel to check it out? On one of my older trucks years ago, I destroyed parts of the panel and the little plastic things that held it on. I don't want to do that to my Taco.:D

3. Mar 29, 2009 at 9:17 AM
    kmok

kmok Plastidipped ma Hootus!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Columbus, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2005 Subaru Outback XT 5MT
  4. Mar 29, 2009 at 12:15 PM
    Bre2tSco2t

Member:
    Alabama
  5. Jan 19, 2013 at 6:23 AM
    TIPICOTACO

TIPICOTACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    nw nj
    Vehicle:
    '01 DC 4X4 TRD "RAD BARON"
    Some lift, some armor, some scratches..
    sub'd! and thanks kmok for the link.

my rattle is driving me crazy!!! thought it was just the shit in my storage spot on the door but seems its coming from behind the panel.

I'l dive into it tomorrow :)

6. Jan 19, 2013 at 9:16 AM
    Hektor

Hektor Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma 4x4 TRD DC v6
    Sub'd

7. Jan 21, 2013 at 12:19 AM
    RGosen

RGosen Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christ would now agree, don't get yourself nailed to a tree
    Kamloops B,C CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2000 toyota tacoma 4x4 2.7
    Cold air intake
    I had the same problem a while back and found it to be the jack behind the pass side seat lolo

8. Feb 1, 2013 at 2:44 PM
    TIPICOTACO

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    nw nj
    Vehicle:
    well, turns out it wasn't in the door at all and it's actually the plastic cover on the outside of the passenger seat thats rattling. Took the piece off, bent a little metal "clip" some, re-installed it and tightened down the little screw. BOOM no more rattle!

9. Feb 1, 2013 at 3:09 PM
    Hektor

Hektor Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma 4x4 TRD DC v6
    Pics of what part your talking about please.

10. Feb 1, 2013 at 3:10 PM
    Hektor

Hektor Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma 4x4 TRD DC v6
    Do you have pics??

11. Feb 19, 2013 at 3:56 PM
    TIPICOTACO

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    nw nj
    Vehicle:
    [​IMG]

this piece. my rattle has returned w/ a vengence!! tomorrow I'm gonna remove this piece again and put some foam tape or something on the back side, I don't really know where its hitting/tapping/rattling but hopefully I will figure it out tomorrow

12. Feb 19, 2013 at 4:25 PM
    undecided

undecided Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport 4X4
    CAI, CB radio, Double Din Stereo, Aero Exhaust, Softopper, BHLM, KODE Push Button Start, Bruteforce Fab Rear bumper, Weathertechs
    I had this same problem in my 2nd gen rear passenger side window would rattle like hell when the window was down. After about a year:rolleyes: I finally decided to get my act together and figre out the problem. I took the door panel off, pulled back the plastic liner and found a loose piece of weather stripping that had fallen out of the window track. It is meant to support the window when it is down. I cleaned up the back of the the weather stripping and the window track and put a thin strip of all-weather double sided tape on it and stuck that sucker back on. I tested the window a few times and no more rattle! :yay:

Products Discussed in

To Top