1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

more front end clunk - what else could it be?!?!

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 98 Taco Max, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Mar 21, 2014 at 8:51 PM
    98 Taco Max

98 Taco Max [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    v6 Tacoma 4x4
    thanks for the info on the steering rack, i will have to check if it needs adjusting when school calms down again. we had about a week of +10 celsius weather and big surprise the truck stopped clunking completely! back down to -10 again now and it started up again but not too bad. I have just been ignoring it for now since there is no play/jerking in the steering wheel and aside from the noise it drives fine. if i ever figure out what was going on i will update back here : /

2. Feb 11, 2015 at 2:55 PM
    just2wd

just2wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    California
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner TRD Off Road
    subbed i've been diagnosed with this recently it's gotten worse and worse, i feel it on the floorboard when i'm in 1st gear and give it gas ,let it slow down, and give it gas again

3. Feb 11, 2015 at 9:50 PM
    paquu

paquu Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    RI
    Vehicle:
    02 doublecab fj trm rims, roof led bar
    42" LED bar
    Forgive me if I sound stupid, maybe its just the angle, but isn't this a crack?

taco_2e6ded2bc5e40a231a37edc0236b9c48e18c2a9f.jpg

Also I had a front end clunk for a while that was hard to locate. My steering rack bushing needed to be replaced. Clunk was still there. Then I replaced my sway bar bushings and it did the trick. They didn't look too bad until they were removed (soft and crumbled). Might be worth taking a look at if you haven't already.

4. Feb 11, 2015 at 10:51 PM
    StrikerTRD

StrikerTRD Active Member

Member:
    Central Point, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    01 Pre Runner DoubleCab TRD
    Engine: Injen CAI, Doug Thorley Headers, FM high flow cat, Borla cat back exhaust. Front suspension:Fox 2.5 remote reservoirs/Camburg UCA/ Rear suspension:Fox 2.0 rear shocks/Wheelers Add A Leaf. Appearance: Smoked LED Spyder taillights. Satoshi Grill, Black Spyder Headlights, Led Headlight conversion
    I had a very similar issue, turned out to be the alignment bolt. You should get it checked out. Just my 2 cents.

Ozzy_Wuz_Here likes this.
  5. Mar 6, 2015 at 1:49 PM
    98 Taco Max

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    v6 Tacoma 4x4
    update:

thanks for the responses, so far since last winter i haven't had any issues with the clunking. whatever it was seems to have remedied itself over time, we'll see if it comes back in the future. weird.. but im ok with that ha.

from that picture that is just some debris or something, rear shock is definitely not cracked, no shocks leaking, alignments bolts are solid and my wheel alignment is still great after a lot of miles over all kinds of terrain, never put my sway bar/SB bushings back on, and still haven't replaced the steering rack bushing as they aren't worn enough at this point

6. Dec 17, 2015 at 4:31 AM
    jaymaravel

jaymaravel New Member

Member:
    Taco, hi.
    I'm having similar issues. replaced LCA and bushings, new quick struts, cam/alignment bolts, ball joints, torques right. Sway bar links and all bushings are new. Curious if you ever found a root cause/solution. The videos you posted sound just like mine.

7. Jan 4, 2016 at 11:16 AM
    98 Taco Max

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    v6 Tacoma 4x4
    hey sorry for such a slow reply, wish i could help you out more but i was never able to find a definitive answer to what was making the noise(s). i have been daily driving the truck and taken it on lots of wheeling trips without any problems related to this issue. i've checked everything thoroughly and nothing is loose or damaged and if it clunks (which is very rarely now) i pretty much just ignore it. good luck in sorting out your truck though!

funny enough as @paquu pointed out on the photo of one of my rear shocks, about 5 months after his post above that shock cracked open on a wheeling day (right at the spot he circled) and all the oil poured out. I replaced the rear OME shocks with bilstein 5100s, and just recently replaced my OME front suspension with camburg adjustable coilovers

8. Apr 21, 2016 at 3:41 AM
    Capt

Capt Member

Member:
    image.jpgHi All,
    I wanted to contribute to the community, this forum has been very helpful. I traced the clunk in the front end of my 06 double cab to worn body bushings. Ordered body bushing kit from energy suspension, a few hours to install and removed the clunk that a lot of you described here. I suspect this vehicle had a front end accident prior to my time, but forward two bushings were completely worn through. Only evidence of this was slight movement at the bushing when I gave it a wiggle with a pry bar inserted from the wheel well. Good luck if anyone is still searching this thread.

EB Group and 98 Taco Max[OP] like this.
  9. Jul 18, 2017 at 9:18 PM
    Jcash

Jcash Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremiah
    Va
    Vehicle:
    2015 silver Tacoma Trd sport
    When I go over a bump I'm getting a clunking noise in the passenger side front and it's not going away.then on top of that if your sitting steel and turn your steering wheel from left to right it makes a terrible popping and like grinding sound kinda sounds like metal on metal.what could this be?i thought it could be coming from something in side the rubber boot on the tie rods

10. Jul 19, 2017 at 8:09 AM
    Greensystemsgo

Greensystemsgo 1 owner with clean car fox.

Member:
    First Name:
    Dirty Nickers
    Peoria, AZ
    Vehicle:
    18 year old black taco...
    Bone Stock.
    What could it be? Well, @Jcash, What have you checked? And inside the rubber boot on the tie rod, IS the tie rod.

11. Jul 19, 2017 at 9:07 AM
    RysiuM

RysiuM Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rysiu
    Was Golden State, now Poland EU
    Vehicle:
    1995 4x4 LX Ext Cab, I4 2.7, MT, 335K miles
    DD Deck+backup camera, LED DRL, All LED except H4 Hella
    Just do yourself a favor and check LBJ. Easy to do, and if it is a culprit to the noise you may just save you life by replacing them.

12. Jul 19, 2017 at 10:50 AM
    Jcash

Jcash Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremiah
    Va
    Vehicle:
    I just put new lower control arms on and uppers they should be good I would think

13. Jul 19, 2017 at 10:53 AM
    eon_blue

eon_blue Most Improved Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD 3.4l 4x4 5sp manual Xtraca & '96 4runner 4x4 5spd manual
    If you're still running a sway bar check the end links. Could be loose and causing it to pop/clank, happened to mine.

14. Jul 19, 2017 at 10:53 AM
    Jcash

Jcash Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremiah
    Va
    Vehicle:
    Well it made this noise before so I replaced up upper and lower control arms and it's still doing it.i checked the wheel bearings they are good.unless the lower ball joints need grease,if they do how do you put grease to them?they have no grease fitting.could be steering rack bushings or the rack an pinion.i can feel it in the tie rod.

15. Jul 19, 2017 at 10:55 AM
    eon_blue

eon_blue Most Improved Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD 3.4l 4x4 5sp manual Xtraca & '96 4runner 4x4 5spd manual
    Might be time for new tie rods then. The lower ball joints aren't greasable, which sucks because the boots wear and tear over time. When mine started to leak pretty bad I just replaced the ball joints.

16. Jul 19, 2017 at 10:55 AM
    Jcash

Jcash Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremiah
    Va
    Vehicle:
    I checked that it seems to be tight.kinda got me puzzled.the noise is getting worse and when I go down the highway it wants to walk the highway but the steering wheel don't seem to have any play or sloppiness in it.

17. Jul 19, 2017 at 10:57 AM
    Jcash

Jcash Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremiah
    Va
    Vehicle:
    But if it's the rack an pinion I'd feel it in the tie rods to I guess.

18. Jul 19, 2017 at 7:53 PM
    Jcash

Jcash Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremiah
    Va
    Vehicle:
    Found it it's my break hitting on my rotors.still gotta find why it walks the highway at times and why it makes popping when I hit bumps at times

19. Jul 20, 2017 at 8:02 AM
    Greensystemsgo

Greensystemsgo 1 owner with clean car fox.

Member:
    First Name:
    Dirty Nickers
    Peoria, AZ
    Vehicle:
    18 year old black taco...
    Bone Stock.
    Take it to a real alignment shop. They'll be able to diag the walking and perhaps any popping/creaking issues.

20. Jul 20, 2017 at 8:59 PM
    02 quadcab

02 quadcab Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mine was making a lot of noise as well, turns out the lower eyes on my kings were totally blown out replaced those and still noise but less of it. Took penetrating oil and put it on all the bushings uppers, lowers, and especially the sway bar. I have to relube every once in a while but truck is way quieter. I would try this before swapping bushings because that is a tough job.

Products Discussed in

To Top