Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Another opinion please?

Old 02-05-2014, 06:30 AM   #1
hobbs311 is on a distinguished road
hobbs311's Tacoma Gallery
Another opinion please?

i like the truck.. mechanic owned, wants 9800$, clean title and carfax. But its a 2.7, i wanted the v6. Pros and cons from people who owned the 2.7? All input accepted please!

http://waco.craigslist.org/cto/4300204200.html
Old 02-05-2014, 07:29 AM   #2
Just duct tape it
jspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspansel is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jay
jspansel's Tacoma Gallery
Nice truck... low miles, seems like a good price.

Do you plan on towing anything? I've never drove the 2.7, but from what I see, most people are happy with them for every day driving. Better MPG too.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:35 AM   #3
im not gonna tow anything, but id like some power, This coming from owning a 2nd gen cummins for about 4 years haha. Its basically gonna be a daily driver and i'm switching from a dodge to a Toyota cause i want something dependable. maybe later when i can afford it i will get a 4x4 and lift it but i need something i'm not gonna spend money on. If it was a v6 i would probably be down there right now buying it. So i guess i'm asking does it have sufficient power, how does it do on the highway going 70? Btw it kbbs at 10500 in "good" condition.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:42 AM   #4
Stay Calm, and Fire For Effect
YOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Training NCO, B Btry, 3-197th FA
Name: Chris
YOTA LOVER's Tacoma Gallery
For the gen 1's the 2.7 is a decent motor plenty of torque for a small engine). Mine still ran like a champ when I sold it after 250k. If it's manual trans you can also shift a little later if you need some giddyup to get on the highway. I put on LCE headers when the oem manifold cracked, and the engine really came to life.

Talk him into putting in a new timing chain (with the rest of the new guides and all that b.s.) if he hasn't already and give him 10k.

The motor is really easy to work on (IMO), as is the rest of the truck. If you need more power down the road put on a small turbo and headers, she'll get up for ya after that.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:44 AM   #5
Im not like the other Crumbs, Im my own Crumb
NEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud of

Name: JAKE
NEWBIETACO's Tacoma Gallery
I went from an 05 Cummins to a reg cab 4 banger taco 4x4 had it for 4 months sold it for the v6 four door 4x4. little thing struggled going 70-75 with 265's. Find a v6!
Old 02-05-2014, 07:48 AM   #6
these damn dealers here in dallas get an 04 4dr with 115k on trade for 10000$ and turn around and put it up for 14995$. FML. Then if its privately sold, they go fast. Anyone know of a website besides edmunds, craigslist, autotrader,cargurus, ect ect. To buy a tacoma. Like someone needs to make a website just to buy tundras and tacomas LOL
Old 02-05-2014, 07:51 AM   #7
NEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud of

Where in Dallas are you?
Old 02-05-2014, 07:52 AM   #8
YOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWBIETACO View Post
I went from an 05 Cummins to a reg cab 4 banger taco 4x4 had it for 4 months sold it for the v6 four door 4x4. little thing struggled going 70-75 with 265's. Find a v6!
Mine didn't do well on the highway with 33's, but when I was running 31.5's it kept up. I also didn't expect it to drive like a car.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:59 AM   #9
Im in McKinney. You got a deal for me? =)
Old 02-05-2014, 08:12 AM   #10

Haha no I wish, Call Sport City Toyota off 635 and Northwest highway. Great dealership tell them what you want and when they go to auctions they can let you know or find it another way.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:34 AM   #11
snoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shed

snoope's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbs311 View Post
i like the truck.. mechanic owned, wants 9800$, clean title and carfax. But its a 2.7, i wanted the v6. Pros and cons from people who owned the 2.7? All input accepted please!

http://waco.craigslist.org/cto/4300204200.html

My '02 has been good to me....2.7 with an automatic,265/16 rubber from the start as it has an upgraded SR5 pkg.... no problems at all,just regular PM's and it is on battery #2 but it is also 12 years old.. ...and 68000 miles..

Toyota has finished every campaign on it; new frame in '09,new ball joints at same time and spare tire exchange last year..

Granted when loaded it is no beast but it has moved my daughter around the New England states with no problems and decent MPG's..

The Tacoma and I are about to be "tested" pulling a U-Haul 1500 miles within the next 2 weeks with a full trip report to follow once we are safely in Florida..
Old 02-05-2014, 08:45 AM   #12
PhdNPrerunners will become famous soon enoughPhdNPrerunners will become famous soon enough

Name: Justin
PhdNPrerunners's Tacoma Gallery
I would keep looking if I were you. If it was a 4x4 manual then I would say go for it but not a 2wd auto 2.7. Good luck with your search
Old 02-05-2014, 01:11 PM   #13
FALlover is a jewel in the roughFALlover is a jewel in the roughFALlover is a jewel in the rough
FALlover's Tacoma Gallery
i love my 2.7 extra cab 4X4 5 speed with 4.10 rear end (I think)

but it is not a fast truck. also, i don't have to deal with hills. i don't really drive over 75 very often. mine is lifted with bumpers and a winch, off road tires...she will not really speed past someone to pass on the interstate. def not going to win any red light races

you may want to get a v6 if you want a little more pick up and speed

personally, i wouldn't get the 2.7 in an auto transmission

hopefully that helps
Old 02-05-2014, 04:20 PM   #14
thanks for all the input, i'm gonna stick with my gut and get the v6. plus this guys truck is all pimped out... who likes apc's LOL
Old 02-05-2014, 05:03 PM   #15
I'm looking to get a 2wd and an auto to save money and i don't have a need for a standard. I wont turn down a 4x4 for a good price though which i am looking at a 99 4x4 ext cab with 95k so i cant pass that up!
Old 02-05-2014, 08:59 PM   #16

Be dirty get a 4x4
Old 02-06-2014, 03:51 PM   #17

Quote:
I'm looking to get a 2wd and an auto to save money and i don't have a need for a standard. I wont turn down a 4x4 for a good price though which i am looking at a 99 4x4 ext cab with 95k so i cant pass that up!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWBIETACO View Post
Be dirty get a 4x4
In my neck of the woods you're a fool to buy a truck that doesn't have 4x4, but I think if I lived in TX, or some of the other more arid western states I'd by a Pre-runner in a heartbeat.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:00 PM   #18
snoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shed

snoope's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Only one person needs to be happy about this decision....
Old 02-07-2014, 07:30 PM   #19
OldAsShit
Andy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andy
Andy.G's Tacoma Gallery
Bought 95.5 with 2.7 and manual trans. Drove for 17 yrs and 277,000 miles. Hauled 20 foot boat on weekends for 5 yrs. Not great on hills. Also had 2.7 auto trans in 96 taco. Yuk! Go manual if you want better performance and gas mileage. Just got old engine and manual in 96. Sure did miss it for 2 yrs. Check for rust on frame!! Missed recall by 2 months on 95.5. Just my opinion, not a sermon.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:41 AM   #20
ya i had a 4x4 for 5 years and never had to lock it in once, so just saving myself money