1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Leaf Spring Problems

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Tjsingle26, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Feb 5, 2014 at 4:07 PM
    Tjsingle26

Tjsingle26 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    PA
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma xtra cab 4x4
    So earlier I posted a thread about leaf springs maybe a week or two ago. But since I have begun to notice that some really is not right. the distance from the center of the rim to the wheel well on the passenger side is one inch higher than then drivers side. And to me that is concerning. My leafs need to be replaced, but currently I am a near broke college student and I really would like my truck to be safe. I have heard of adding a leaf or just replacing the leafs entirely. But I am really unsure as to what method to go about because I am at school now and I cant do the work myself because lack of proper tools, and I really dont feel like getting screwed by a shop or a toyota dealership. I just dont know what to do and I would really appreciate insight. I have some pictures if anyone needs them Ill post them.

Thanks ,
    Tom

2. Feb 5, 2014 at 6:13 PM
    wrat

wrat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma Xcab 4x4 TRD
    I think I responded to your older thread, but I'll say it again. The lean is normal. Search for "taco lean." It happens to MANY or our generation Tacoma's with stock suspensions. Do worry about the one inch lean. That is nothing serious and so very very common. If your leafs are flat and want to upgrade, OME Dakars are a great replacement.

P.S. The common premise for this lean is due to the weight on the drivers side (battery, gas tank, driver). Yes the exhaust runs along the passenger side, but it isn't as much as all the other items.

3. Feb 5, 2014 at 7:22 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Driver/battery/gas tank + soft saggy stock leafs = 'taco lean....sory dude I don't know of any kind of fix for your issues.....

;):p

4. Feb 5, 2014 at 9:54 PM
    Dcpsychobilly

Dcpsychobilly Well-Known Member

Member:
    Aurora Colorado
    Vehicle:
    04 dbl cab Taco
    Bumpers, skids, lights and more lights, trail gear bumper, sliders, front kings, dakar lift leaf springs rear, corbeau seats
    Sounds like mentioned before taco lean. I replaced mine when they went negative arch. I have Dakar, with a full tank and my spare on the driver side I got very noticeable taco lean. I now carry my spare on the passenger side but with a full tank I still have a little lean. Just my experience before and after replacing them. I got pics just gotta find them

5. Feb 5, 2014 at 10:21 PM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.
    Its just Taco lean. Its fine.

you can replace them later if you want, but it won't be super cheap and you'll have to do the front probably since the front is sagging a lot as well most likely.

6. Feb 5, 2014 at 10:35 PM
    bldegle2

bldegle2 OldPhart

Member:
    San Francisco, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prerunner TRD AccessCab
    New Navigation DVD/CD/TV/AV/Bluetooth Stereo and seat mod spacers, 1" hubcentric spacers, seat heaters....
    U can also get the 1/4" strut spacer and install it on top of the drivers side strut, helps with the problem, and fairly cheap, you probably don't even have to get an alignment, but it is recommended.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  7. Feb 7, 2014 at 9:01 PM
    Andy.G

Andy.G Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    96 tacoma sx 4x4 2.7 5 speed
    Started automatic. Swapped to manual
    My leaf springs went negative arch. Took to spring and coil shop.250.00 for both. Truck still has slight lean when gas tank full. It's just that way. Can definitely haul better now.

8. Feb 8, 2014 at 4:15 PM
    Zer0

Zer0 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SGV, California
    Vehicle:
    99 PreRunner
  9. Feb 10, 2014 at 2:38 AM
    bldegle2

bldegle2 OldPhart

Member:
    San Francisco, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prerunner TRD AccessCab
    New Navigation DVD/CD/TV/AV/Bluetooth Stereo and seat mod spacers, 1" hubcentric spacers, seat heaters....
    $110 is a righteous price, where can you get them that cheap, $125 per side is cheapest I can find, delivered....

10. Feb 10, 2014 at 4:35 AM
    Mod

Mod Well-Known Member

Member:
    CR, WA
    Vehicle:
    1999 8 port 3RZ 4WD SR5
    stock
    Being a starving student,,I would just wait. Your truck is still safe, just drive with good judgement.

When I did mine about 3 years ago, I went with Alcan 5 leafs and Old Man Emu 881 front coils (1.5" lift). Lean eliminated and it still is.

11. Feb 10, 2014 at 7:54 AM
    presto

presto Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Topher
    san francisco
    Vehicle:
    2000 T4R 4x4
    Fully armored on 33’s
    Let me warn you. If you end up replacing your leafs and your original hardware looks kinda rusty start soaking it in with some kind of liquid wrench now. Because almost all of my bolts were seized when I attempted it 2days ago. I would suggest if you get new leafs that you get shackles and you might want to go to the dealership and get the front bolt for the leaf pack(the one that goes in the metal sleeve/bushing) I literally took all my old stuff off and got one side completely finished(had to make my own shackle because the original one was seized in the leaf pack) then got to the last bolt on the other side(the one in between the gas tank)and it was stuck beyond saving. I had to put all of the old stuff back on till I can get a new bolt.. Not fun.

12. Feb 10, 2014 at 12:22 PM
    Mod

Mod Well-Known Member

Member:
    CR, WA
    Vehicle:
    1999 8 port 3RZ 4WD SR5
    stock
    Yup, did all the hardware as well. Also did the swaybar bushings and the upper shock/strut mounts.

13. Feb 10, 2014 at 12:25 PM
    Manwithoutaplan

Manwithoutaplan the full Monty

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Speedway Blue Trd 4x4
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP

Products Discussed in

To Top