1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Gas Mileage sucks! Help?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Rome082, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Feb 10, 2014 at 10:42 AM
    smmarine

smmarine Well-Known Member

Member:
    Melbourne FL
    Vehicle:
    2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S ABS
    Not back pressure! Only 2 strokes need back pressure. What is needed is exhaust velocity. Think of a water hose that is running free, and then you put your thumb over it. Big exhaust vs smaller

2. Feb 10, 2014 at 10:42 AM
    frizzman

frizzman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 XCab 4x4 TRD/OR
    OME 2.5,Tundra 17s,Falken Wildpeak AT3W hitch w/ 7-pin, ARE cap, JVC HU w/BT, HID/LED lights
    exactly, the "most" I got was driving 70mph on flat for hours - 20mpg

I avg around 12-17 depending on if it's city (daily traffic and slow moving 5.5 mi one way) or highway (I travel through hills, not them bumps you southerners call hills :D ).

fuel economy will always degrade some as the vehicle gets older. proper maintenance will help to negate this but unless you rebuild every few years there are parts that wear out and decrease performance/economy

3. Feb 10, 2014 at 12:52 PM
    ThunderOne

ThunderOne Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitchell
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    1ST GEN OR GTFO
    Toyota NERD
    I've seen conflicting reports regarding gas mileage. So I guess YMMV and it's easy to plug it if you do decide to do it and are not satisfied with the results. More power to you. I'm too lazy to do all that right now :p

4. Feb 10, 2014 at 1:41 PM
    smmarine

smmarine Well-Known Member

Member:
    Melbourne FL
    Vehicle:
    2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S ABS
    Yeah at the moment I just have a big hole in my air box lol. Got interrupted and just had to put it back on. I have everything to do it, just need a dremel tool to fit in in perfect. It's a pretty easy mod, and seems to give it a little more pep. I know when you floor it the intake screams, along with my flowmaster :devil:

5. Feb 10, 2014 at 5:12 PM
    Rome082

Rome082 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Raphael
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma TRD edition
    Air intake kit, dual exhaust after Catalytic converter. Transmission air cooler. Fabtech Dirtlogic Suspension.
    damn, I didn't know (or more like I forgot) how bad Tacomas are with gas. I used to drive the hell out of my truck when I lived in Utah, now that I live in California, I use it only for long trips (short ones to tow the boat or anything that requires the truck bed). California is killing me with their gas prices and super high insurance, so I usually keep my truck garaged. Last time I took her out for a week, my scanner said I was getting about 18 (17.5 ish). And to the manwithoutaplan, a Prius? I will not even get caught dead in one of those things! Every single driver I've seen that has a Prius (and they are abundant here in Cali) is a Douche bag that rides in the left lane doing 65. My daily driver is a Convertible Geo metro though, 3 cylinders of fury! Anyways, Don't move to Cali!

Products Discussed in

To Top